Homemade Punching Bag Ideas

The video below was first posted to the blog in the summer of 2009.  Since that time, I’ve had several questions come through regarding other homemade punching bag options.  I will therefore use this entry to list additional possibilities.  If you have any others to share, please leave a link or instructions within the comment section.

To begin, here is one inexpensive option that also makes use of used car tires.  Complete instructions be found here:

Tire Punching Bag

A tire can also be added to a conventional bag to allow for uppercuts and knees.  The picture below was posted to my forum.  The original thread (along with instructions) can be found here:

Homemade Uppercut Addition

Another bag idea can be found at the following link.  This variation does not involve car tires.

Building A Punching Bag From Scrap Materials

For more homemade equipment ideas, please refer to the link below:

Homemade Exercise Equipment Archives

1. Gene June 1st, 2011 7:05 am

That’s some really great low tech high result stuff in the video.

Thanks Ross

2. Someone June 1st, 2011 11:11 am

i think this is old you posted it somewhere else before

3. admin June 1st, 2011 11:15 am

You obviously didn’t read the entry, as the first paragraph stated:

The video below was first posted to the blog in the summer of 2009. Since that time, I’ve had several questions come through regarding other homemade punching bag options. I will therefore use this entry to list additional possibilities. If you have any others to share, please leave a link or instructions within the comment section.

4. Jon June 1st, 2011 2:45 pm

How about these style of bags filled with rubber mulch as per your previous post on sandbag training. This type of bag would be ideal as seamless and round the rubber mulch would be a decent weight too.

T

5. TroyP - Cube.Dweller.Fitness June 1st, 2011 5:28 pm

Ross,

Do you have any recommendations on how/where to hang a bag? I had a DIY canvas bag years ago that I hung from the rafters in our basement. It shook the entire house and had to go.

It would be great to have one again. I like the used tire idea, now just need to come up with a stand.

-Troy

6. jim June 2nd, 2011 4:54 pm

yes. what do you think of seabags or duffle bags (miltary)

i have read many people doing this.

7. John P June 12th, 2011 2:10 pm

The tire punching bag looks sweet. Long enough to do low kicks on.

I wonder how durable a tire punching bag is compared to a conventional heavy bag. I find that after years of use, traditional bags will end up tearing and needs to be taped up.

8. Larry June 20th, 2011 4:36 am

It should be obvious that using any uneven “bag” like these tire things you have pretty high risk of injury – so though I like the idea, I would be cautious.

9. admin June 20th, 2011 7:27 am

Why? I know guys who have worked with this kind of bag for years.

Risk of injury often has more to do with the user than the equipment.

10. gym.hodgson - Homemadegymstuff June 28th, 2011 1:44 pm

I put up some fixity/construction ideas in this post:

11. Delta March 11th, 2012 6:24 am

Only thing with these tire punching “bags” They tear the crap out of your gloves! Then it starts getting expensive having to replace them.

12. RossTraining.com Blog September 10th, 2012 10:11 am

[...] I have posted a few tire punching bag videos before, the following tutorial may be useful for those who were not sure how to attach the [...]

13. Ignaurus13 November 2nd, 2013 12:45 pm

Check out what I did with a 70lb bag and 3 R13 tires.