Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Training Equipment

Post subject: Instructions on My Home-Made Dumbells vs Walmart Compare...
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:04 pm 

Ok, I have tried to make my own dumbbells using some of Ross's tips in his book. Please leave your feedback. All the instructions and images are as follows (click on any image for full size pictures):

First, I tried to make it as cheap as possible, so most of my supplies came from Walmart, the biggest expense came out to be galvanized steel bars AND the water hose clippers.

Because I don't have a very wide hand, I figured 5 inches for the handle is enough for me, so I went 6 1/2 " from each end for the edge of my handle. The length of a bar is 18''

My next step involved wrapping the steel with the heavy duty scotch tape, so that later, if I ever need to, i can replace my handle wrap without the need to touch the steel again.

In the next step I take the wrapping tape for tennis rackets I bought in Walmart, if you notice, I went with yellow to make it look a little more interesting

Well, I am almost done. I take the piece of scotch tape and tape the handle right at the middle of a tape to cover the lose ends of my tennis wrap. It didn't stick to the bar too well, so I decided to secure it with the top layer of scotch tape.

Ok, the dumbbell almost finished. I mark the edges of where my clips are gonna go, so I know where to put epoxy

To complete the mission, after putting epoxy according to the marks, I tried quickly move my clips on top of the handle, and screw it really tight. Then, I put more epoxy on top of the clips, so those suckers won't go anywhere

Ok, it's done

Okay, here it comes. You already saw how much I have paid for home-made dumbbells. About 12 bucks a piece (without labor ha ha) What advantages do you get: 18 inches of length instead of 14 inches of the standard ones. Also, from those 18 inches you get 6.5 inches for your weights for each side instead of the 4 inches on the Walmart ones. Also, here is my favorite part: YOU CAN PICK the color for your handle to be fancy and all, it is customizable AND it is more comfortable because you get a much better grip than just using the plastic or even metal handle. Also, if you paid attention to the first picture, I got my steel bars with the red caps at each end for the threaded part, I didn't throw mine away BECAUSE I can put a middle size screw driver inside my dumbbell and close the ends with the caps. SO whenever i need to add more weighs OR tighten something up, I just take one cap off, take my driver out and do my thing!

Okay that's it

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:08 pm 

Great looking homemade dumbbells. I have a pair myself, and they have held up great, even with about 50-75 lbs on each one for the most part. Never had a clamp slip or anything.

To gain muscle weight, lift weights regularly...push yourself to increase incrementally over time. Also, you need to be sure to take in enough nutrients...particularly protein...to feed your growing muscles. No junk.

Oh, and drink lots of water.

Carlos Castaneda 1925-1998

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:20 pm 

FYI-hose clamps can be bought individually. The cost is much less, 30 cents to maybe $1.50 for a really big clamp for a 3"-5" hose.

So the clamps hold with more weight added? I love the idea and if they do hold I might make a lot of dumbells this way with weights for free off of craigslist. Might just add a 2nd epoxied clamp to make sure.

BTY- im sure most know but if you get metal weights that are rusted, soak them in coke and wire brush them a couple times for a few days and then spray paint. good as new.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:43 am 
Site Admin

Just an FYI, I've edited the original thread to include smaller images. The smaller images link to the full size images seen before. Simply click on any individual image.

I received several message about this thread, so I hope the new format makes it more readable.

Ross

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:09 am 

Nice step by step with good pics.
They look great!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:06 pm 

Great guide.

Quote:
FYI-hose clamps can be bought individually. The cost is much less, 30 cents to maybe $1.50 for a really big clamp for a 3"-5" hose.

Yep. They also sell them in bags of 10 or so and it's probably even cheaper that way.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:38 pm 
Nice pictures.. I made some homemade dumb bells too, but Home Depot doesn't have the correct size, so mine are too thin. This makes the weights wiggle around a lot, so I don't use them.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:06 pm 

Does anyone here know if Lowes' carries the galvanized steel bars?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:52 am 

proaffliktion wrote:

If I were in your shoes I would just call the one in your area and ask them or just take a trip.

#1 tool to get fit and stay fit is consistency!

For ANY thread/post that the person types "I don't have time..." followed by some excuse read this: Make Time

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:01 am 

speedy wrote:
proaffliktion wrote:

If I were in your shoes I would just call the one in your area and ask them or just take a trip.

I just got back from Lowe's and couldn't find any there, they don't carry it (at least at my store). I stopped by a local plumbing store and got, a bit pricey though.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Training Equipment