Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Homemade Incline Sit-up Bench
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Homemade Incline Sit-up Bench

Background Info

Last week, I set out to build an incline sit-up bench. My old model was more than ready to retire. Before deciding to build, I first reviewed several store models, but noticed that most were not as steep as I'd like, and the prices were outrageous for such a simple tool. Incline sit-ups are far from our primary source of core work, so I couldn't see spending so much money to perform the exercise. Prices ranged from $100+ to upwards of $500.

Warning

I am not an expert builder. I'm far from it. Build at your own risk. This design is VERY basic. I'm sure you could do much better. I'm not trying to win a design contest. I want a simple bench that gets the job done.

Needs
  • A bench that could be set as steep as necessary
  • A bench that could be stored on overhead shelves to save space when not in use
  • A strong bench that could support a heavyweight fighter
  • A bench that was easy to construct. I didn't want a week long project for a simple sit-up bench.

Design Specifics

2x4's were used to build the base of the bench. The bench is simply four 2x4's. The length of the bench is just shy of 7 feet. The back side of the bench looks like this:

The bench attaches to the wall by connecting eye hooks (from both the bench and wall).

A small piece of chain with a spring link end is used to make the connection:

Optional - The incline angle could be adjusted by repositioning the bench on the wall. You would simply need to secure eye hooks at various heights.

I used an old curtain rod holder and dowel as a foot holder on the bench. The curtain rod holder was screwed and set with a strong adhesive for added safety.

Note - If I did not have the old curtain rod holder on hand, I would have likely used a foot holder such as that seen within this article:

http://www.biancolo.com/articles/glute- ... -developer

Grip tape lines a portion of the bench via small strips. The tape helps to prevent sliding when the bench is set at a steep angle. This step is clearly optional, but I found it useful when testing the steeper angles. I have also stapled some old matting that I had on hand. This was used to increase comfort.

Styrofoam was used to create a leg support piece that conforms to the angle of the legs. I bought two blocks of Styrofoam and carved them to shape. The two pieces were then glued and taped to the bench. Ample duct tape was used. Surprisingly, this piece is well set.

Final Thoughts

That's it. This was definitely a simple build. The bench is strong, comfortable, and can adjust to any angle that we need. When not in use, I can detach it from the wall to free up space.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Very cool...what other exercises could I do on this?

The bench was constructed primarily for incline sit-ups (and weighted variations). You could get creative with a few modifications however. The leg support cushion could be removed to allow other movements without interference. That was not my intention however. We already have several non-bench based core movements in our arsenal.

Ross

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:36 am 

Just a thought for anyone else who is thinking about this project.

A pipe flange, a pipe nipple, a tee and two short sections of pipe could also be used for the foot bar. I've got this setup attached to my wall for GHR's.

Water pipe insulation also makes good padding.

Thanks for the info Ross.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:

A pipe flange, a pipe nipple, a tee and two short sections of pipe could also be used for the foot bar. I've got this setup attached to my wall for GHR's.

This was referenced in this line:

Quote:
Note - If I did not have the old curtain rod holder on hand, I would have likely used a foot holder such as that seen within this article:

http://www.leanandhungryfitness.com/con ... t_id.21308

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:53 am 

hey, how about fixing a ladder to the wall and having hooks at the end of the bench so you can set the incline bench at diff levels? just adding something on

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
hey, how about fixing a ladder to the wall and having hooks at the end of the bench so you can set the incline bench at diff levels? just adding something on

You certainly could. I had several eye hooks at my disposal however, so made use of them.

Ross

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm 

Ross Enamait wrote:
Quote:

This was referenced in this line:

Quote:

http://www.leanandhungryfitness.com/con ... t_id.21308

Sorry, missed the link. For some reason work computer filtered it.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:24 pm 

iluvburpees wrote:
Very cool...what other exercises could I do on this?

(weighted) Russian Twists

when you can cut and paste Siff and Verkohansky excerpts and force = mass x acceleration jibberish but can't decide how many sets and reps you should do in the gym, something has gone wrong somewhere.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:59 pm 

Ross sure does love some ducktape! :lol:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:36 pm 

I like the idea Ross. Simple yet effective. I may make something similar instead of buying one.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning