Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: supplements?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 am 

is there really a big differences between all of the major supplement brands? I'm kind of new to using them and need some suggestions. I also really don't know what does what... I just know people suggest them. when would I see the biggest difference?

Post subject: Re: supplements?
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 am 

JTay0481 wrote:
I'm kind of new to using them and need some suggestions. I also really don't know what does what...

If you don't know why you need a supplement - you probably don't need it. The common ones would be Whey Protein and Fish Oils. Some people take multivits but personally I think they're less than healthy. Generally speaking you can tell the good brands by the ingredient list - the shorter it is, the better :)

There are countless other supplements, Creatine Monohydrate, CLA, Green Tea Extract, BCAAs... And thousands of other supplements that are simply mixes of some of the above amongst other useless crap. But like I said, if you don't know WHY you need something - you don't need it.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm 

The one thing you shouldn't pay attention to is the popularity contest type answers. You ask on many forums about whey, you'll get a lot of replies about ON Whey being the best. This is bullshit, pure and simple -- there's literally not a shred of evidence it's "the best". Rather, people see lots of other guys saying its the best, and it tastes good, so yah -- "it's the best". On an active ingredient level, one whey protein isolate is pretty much like another. Not to say there's anything wrong with ON, I'm just picking on it since so many sheep just bleat out that it's the best, based on nothing.

Instead, when I do take supplements, I tend to decide on what is "Best" based on what IS NOT in the supplement:

- I don't take supplements with lots of extraneous chemicals in it -- artificial sweeteners, preservatives, fillers, lubricants, colors, etc. If you eat clean and avoid processed food, how ridiculous to re-introduce all those harmful chemicals back through your supplement.

- I check to see if the supplement has been tested by third-party, independent testers, not hired by the manufacturing company. Independent testers, shockingly enough, are more likely to find contaminants like heavy metals, or that the supplement does not have as much active ingredient as it says on the label.

- I take the simplest supplements I can. In most cases, if you have a supplement with 10 ingredients, 8 of them do nothing, and in many cases they're outright harmful. When I supplement whey, it's got 2 ingredients, that's it.

In general, I question the wisdom of eating clean and exercising, and then introducing unhealthy things through a supplement. Supplements are processed, but there's no reason you can't minimize the bad stuff and find products that maximize what actually works.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm 

JTay0481 wrote:
is there really a big differences between all of the major supplement brands?

Nah....
One sucks pretty much as bad as the next one.
Don't buy into the hype.
Eat real food.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:00 pm 

If your sleep and diet are in line tthen yes sups are something to look into.

Check out the customer reviews in online stores like bodybuilding.com and supplementreview.com.

They are a far batter indication of how a sup works(or doesn't) compared to an advertising campaign.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:32 am 

Zero the Hero wrote:

Check out the customer reviews in online stores like bodybuilding.com and supplementreview.com.

They are a far batter indication of how a sup works(or doesn't) compared to an advertising campaign.

I 2nd those two sites.

Fish Oil FTW

http://www.youtube.com/user/MURDR63
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRIGORILLA

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:07 am 

the only supplements worth taking are going to things like fish oil, glucosamine, vitamin D, maybe calcium depending on diet, and maybe a multivitamin.

i personally take the ones i just listed, although i'd be lying if i told you i was 100% sure it was worth it. the small chance of improvement in health is worth it for me and i buy generic brands from the local grocery store.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:24 am 

JesseHolmz wrote:
the only supplements worth taking are going to things like fish oil, glucosamine, vitamin D, maybe calcium depending on diet, and maybe a multivitamin.

i personally take the ones i just listed, although i'd be lying if i told you i was 100% sure it was worth it. the small chance of improvement in health is worth it for me and i buy generic brands from the local grocery store.

Ya, my view would be: the evidence for multivitamins is that they are health-negative or health-neutral -- that is, the evidence strongly indicates that AT BEST, a multivitamin doesn't effect your health at all, but probably raises the probability of all-cause mortality modestly. The evidence around calcium is all over the map, I would definitely avoid supplementing it (obviously, great for you if from foods). Glucosamine supplementation does nothing in most cases.

Of the list you mentioned, only fish oil and vitamin D would be remotely on my list. I do think that both whey and creatine supplementation are pretty well proven, and worth considering -- though I don't supplement creatine at all (couldn't tell a difference in performance or results), and go back and forth on whey.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:27 am 

MURDR wrote:
Zero the Hero wrote:

I 2nd those two sites.

I tend to disagree -- I expect popularity-contest-ish reviews there, as reliable as (say) amazon reviews, for which companies are known to hire paid reviewers. Your main focus should be on picking supplements that are proven to work (there are few), avoid extraneous unhealthy ingredients, and pick supplements that are shown to be pure by independent testers.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:44 am 

Hi Salto,

I read and respect your posts a lot man :)

Just wanted to know about your thoughts on fish oil. You don't seem especially sold on it, though as far I can tell the evidence is fairly unanimous (read: massively positive). What you say hombre? :)

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation