Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: Blade Show - Atlanta, GA June 8-10
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 pm 

You guys may want to move this to general, but I was assuming anyone interested would be reading this section of the forum. I'll be at Blade Show in Atlanta today and part of tomorrow afternoon. If any RT guys/gals are headed there too, feel free to PM me and I'll send you my phone number if you want to visit while there.

Post subject: Re: Blade Show - Atlanta, GA June 8-10
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 am 

A couple notes: I didn't meet any RT guys there, but I got together with a friend from another forum and had a good time. I got to see thousands of knives. I wasn't there to buy thankfully...or sadly, but it was some phenomenal stuff. Most of the big companies were there and a lot of the members of the American Bladesmithing Society were there along with a lot of unaffiliated bladesmiths. There were knives there worth thousands of dollars and it was a lot of fun to handle them. The highlights for me were handling a Winkler Sayoc Tomahawk and several of the custom made Kasper/Crawfords (I got to talk with Pat Crawford for a good while). Some more of Kasper's designs are supposed to hit the market soon through the Crawfords and CRKT. Bob's wife just released some drawings that he made prior to his death.

It's worth mentioning that although I saw quite a number of bladesmiths, quite a few knife collectors (there are some huge clubs), and quite a few people who just like knives there were very few who actually had trained to use them. Maybe it's just my perception, but aside from a decent percentage of the military they didn't seem to be many who were active in the physical skills. I did get a chance to meet Michael Janich and (briefly) Gil Hibben. Janich especially is a well known knifer. He was working the counter at Spyderco like a regular employee and was taking a lot of grief from a 18 year old know-it-all who didn't know who he was right as I walked up...and he wasn't batting an eye. The kid was lecturing him on the finer points of the design of the knife he was holding and just wouldn't let up. Janich asked me if I'd like to see a knife, and I replied no, that it was just such a pleasure to meet him and how much I appreciated his teaching, writing, and dvds. The kid's face was priceless.

Much good fun was had by all.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics