Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom's Workout Log
 Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:03 am 

Quote:
Nice work on the rings by the way, I was playing about with some the other day and I seriously underestimated them. Need to get myself a pair now.

Thanks man, I think most people really underestimate how hard you can make even just basic BW exercises on them, especially if you aren't a 60kg gymnast. If you are going to work on some of the progressions I recommend overcoming gravity over building the gymnastic body because of the extra info contained.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:19 am 

THURSDAY 31st MAY 2012
Skill/Core/Flexibility
- HS Work
- Standing Rollouts 2x12
- Wall walks 4x3
- Stretching
Various
Dislocates 3x15
- Vacuum 3x45s

Need to push the HS, been lazy with it. Wall walks the ROM is improving, been lazy here too. First 5-6 rollouts of each set are rapid, great form. It slows down after that, but happy with them.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:29 am 

Oh yeah, I remember you had a copy, I'm not sure how I forgot lol.

It is a bit humbling when you read through it and the OAC is rated a level 9, which would be cool if it was out of 10, but it goes to 16 :doh:

If all you do on the rings is work on your levers, support, pull ups and dips (and they turn into muscle ups eventually) you'll get 90% of the strength gains that you'd want.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:31 am 

FRIDAY 1st JUNE 2012
Strength
- Pull-ups
BW x10
30kg 4x 4+1
- Bench Press
BAR x10
60kg x3
80kg x2
95kg x3, 2, 2
90kg x5
80kg 3x5
- Single Arm DB Row
20kg x5
30kg x5
45kg 3x5
50kg x5
55kg x3
- Shrugs
100kg x10
140kg x5 (broken)
120kg 2x5

OK, not sure what was up with me today. Pull-ups are getting worse somehow, they need some serious work. Lats are obviously weak, so something needs to be done about that. Bench wasn't great and couldn't manage 3x3 at 95kg. I know I'm capable of it, I'm just having trouble doing it.

First time rowing for ages, so was just trying out the weights. They may have had an impact on the shrugs, or today is even worse than I thought.
I've been following this plan for around 3 months now, going to switch it up soon. Looks like the marathon won't happen, so will be working on the deadlift.

Last edited by tom.642 on Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:07 am 

Hey Tom - I'm going to start using 1.5 pullups + iso hold + slow negatives again to lock in my pullups and make sure I'm engaging the right muscles. This article > http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... next_level goes into that with pullups - thought it might be useful. Be really careful with the elbows if you try this though.

The unilateral db row is really an underrated workout. You get the lat and grip work and since its unilateral you hit the core's stability mechanism. I miss that one... might need to add it back in - not sure if single arm reverse rows are as effective.

Remember that sometimes the body just wants a rest day and maybe you hit it too hard on skill/core/flex day? Also wanted to point out its June. :mozilla_cool:

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:35 am 

tom.642 wrote:
Thanks for the link FeelGood, I guess I haven't been paying the pull-ups as much attention as I should, so that link will be useful for any additions in the future.

By the way, I knew it was June, I was just testing you. Yeah, let's go with that...

It's good to have you back posting regularly, I always enjoyed leaving your log. I remember you used to be training for the kip up, is that still a goal?

Yea posting that link made me review the pullup and I'm gonna add 1.5, iso, hangs, slow neg..etc. Thx man - I am going to chase the kip up but I'm putting priority on a full strong back bridge first. Interested in seeing what you have planned for your new routine as I am redesigning mine now too. Glad to see you working the handstand.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:40 am 

tom.642 wrote:
I quite like how in depth it goes as you get so much more out of it then.

I found the rings so much more different than I expected. I had knock out P-bar dips with ease but dips really throw something extra into the mix. Working with a false grip has yet to come to me. OAC looks nice, now I've got my chin-ups to +50% BW I'm going to start working in the OA negs and that sort of stuff soon.

If the OAC is the goal then I'd start on the progressions now seeing as you have 1/2BW (for reps?) Weighted chins are your base of strength, once that is high enough then you have to work specifically on the OAC. Case in point is Ben Bruno (read his blog if you aren't already) who can do a BW weighted chin but can't do a OAC. I was in a similar boat, but spending more time on OAC stuff has me a lot closer to the mark.

What are you thinking as your priorities for your next program/phase of training?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:55 pm 

SATURDAY 2nd JUNE 2012
Usual calis at the park. A fair bit of muscle-up practice, and starting work on the back lever.

SUNDAY 3rd JUNE
REST

Have been feeling a bit off recently. May take this week easy before making some changes to my routine.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:32 pm 

tom.642 wrote:
Not familiar with Ben Bruno, I'll check him out. I'll probably start work for OAC soon, would you recommend working weighted chins alongside the progressions or are they replacements?

My routine probably won't change a massive amount to be honest, as the way I'm doing it is the only way I know how. I was originally going to spend the next few months training for a marathon but with my ankle I don't think that's wise so I'm going have to put it off.

The main lift I want to progress on is the deadlift. A few things I'd like to be able to accomplish eventually is a 200kg DL, +100kg dip and OAC. I'd also like to eventually hit a BW OHP, and make some progress on the back lever. Squat wise I just want to be able to squat again, waiting on my ankle. I know it sounds like an awful lot, but I don't expect it to come soon by any means. 12+ months.

The thing is: in order for me to hit these goals, I need to work more than those exercises. For example I reckon I have a back weakness, which needs to be resolved for the DL.

With that in mind, any advice?

Hmm, I'd probably just do something similar to what I do, run a tried and tested big lift program, mash it with a bodyweight program (or just something you create yourself), do something on your off days(run etc..) and eat well (too much weight will affect your OAC and dip goals).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:47 pm 

tom.642 wrote:
What, something like 531? The reason I've never really tried set routines is that I've always liked having a bit of freedom in my training. The thought has crossed my mind to try one of them out though.

Yeah pretty much, I went with 5/3/1 as I think it allows a lot more freedom than other plans and the ideology behind matches up pretty well with the BtGB programming that I roughly use, that you want to be measuring progress over a much longer time than a few weeks/cycles.

If you go 5/3/1 and then think of the qualities you want to work on after the big lift, rather than what lifts you want to work on you have a massive amount of freedom, for example a deadlift session might look like

-Explosive str 'warm up' - power cleans, power snatches, DB snatches, jumping etc..
-5/3/1 Dead
-Unilateral movement - lunges, RLESS, pistol, shrimp squat etc..
- Hamstring movement - GHR, Stiff leg dead, leg curls...
- Core movement - HLR, Rollout, dragon flag, fitball pikes...
- Finisher - farmers walks, 100MB slams, hill sprints....

Reps for your last 4 movements can be whatever you like. That is a pretty 'full' session and I wouldn't go that much volume myself, but it is completely up to you. Same thing can be done for an upper body session

- Explosive OR skill based warm up - plyo push ups, MB shot puts, snatches, Muscle up practice, some kind of rolling (HS rolls, backward rolls etc...)
- 5/3/1 bench press - A rowing movement between each set - lower rep sets
- Overhead press(put dips in here too) - Mil press, HeSPU, DB press, bottoms up KB press
- Overhead pull - pull ups, ring pull up progression, lat pull down etc..
- Back lever work - maybe just run a SSC for this (I'd also recommend L sit)
- Finisher - something upperbody related.

The WS4SB3 is another program with a lot of freedom in it that you might like, you can just focus on the regular big lift rather than some variation of it like DeFranco does.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 88  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs