Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post subject: Krav Maga
 Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:28 pm 

Anyone else train in Krav Maga?

I have been for for about two years now.

If so, where do you train? How long have you been training? Who is your instructor?

Post subject: Re: Krav Maga
 Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:15 am 

I trained 9 months at Ryan Hoover's school in Gastonia, NC.

Post Posted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 am 

I like Krav, but haven't really had a chance to train in it. I've dabbled with some people who train in it, but haven't really dedicated. Right now, I plan on fighting a couple more times, but once I'm done competing in MMA, I may transition to Krav. Good, effective style...especiall for L.E.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:03 am 

I been hearing both sides about Krav Maga. What are your views on it?

I hear from a self defense perspective it's decent. If you were going to go to MMA you wouldn't stand a chance. I would really like to hear others views on it.

This is coming from someone that did Tang Soo Do for 12 plus years, kickboxing for 3, and boxing for 6 months.

#1 tool to get fit and stay fit is consistency!

For ANY thread/post that the person types "I don't have time..." followed by some excuse read this: Make Time

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:54 am 

Alright, if I throw in a bit of a very short answer?

From the self-defense standpoint it's good stuff (depending as always on the instructor and how they teach).

Going from Krav to MMA doesn't work well necessarily simply because although they share a lot of similar physical moves, the strategies are different, the encounters are different, the timing is different, the environments are different, and the goals and uses of the techniques are different. Anyone transferring from one to the other will have to adjust in those areas. It's two disciplines that share the common modalities required by the human body. There just are too many differences for it to be possible to transfer directly and expect to have everything automatically carry over. At the same time a lot of people do go from one to the other and do very well once they make the adjustments and train specifically for the new focus.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:29 am 

Makes perfect sense. I can completely relate to this for after I left Tang Soo Do and went to kickboxing I had to spend a month on the heavy bag alone to learn how to throw my kicks with power where in Tang Soo Do I was doing it for points not to hurt someone. Then there was boxing; those 6 months of boxing made the 12 years I spent in Tang Soo Do a complete waste of time. Oh well.

For ANY thread/post that the person types "I don't have time..." followed by some excuse read this: Make Time

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:38 am 

Bear in mind that it's all what you want to work towards. I have friends in TMA right now who are loving it. It's not my cup of tea these days, but I'm glad for them and I'd never call it a waste on their part. I also have friends in MMA who are even competing. Again, kudos to them. The whole point is to work towards what you want...and not to fool yourself that something is anything else than what it is.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 am 

I hear what you are saying. When I first started I was this scrawny 12 year old kid that was FASCINATED with Kung Fu movies: Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, I loved them all. I am 38 now.

All I wanted was my black belt and I achieved that. Once I got it the love for it was slowly draining out of me.

However, once I accomplished what I have in 6 months in boxing, I just wish I put the 12 years into that instead. But I can't turn back the clock. It was a good time then and made good friends and got what I wanted out of it.

Hey, should I move this topic to MMA? Let me know.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am 

speedy wrote:
Then there was boxing; those 6 months of boxing made the 12 years I spent in Tang Soo Do a complete waste of time. Oh well.

I went from Tang Soo Do to Boxing also, and I agree 100% with your viewpoint.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:34 am 

I think it's fine wherever you want to put it.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics