Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: swimmer's strength training log
 Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:54 am 

Press
3 x 5 @42,5kg
(stupid mistake, should've been 45. It was still pretty hard, though)

Power Clean
5 x 3 @57,5kg

Excited for the 1-plate power clean :)

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:01 pm 

8/05/2012

Squat
worked up to 80kg, injury still bothering me, but I'm making progress with help from the physio.

Power clean
5 x 3 @60kg

Didn't have time for the press.

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:42 am 

12/05/2012
BW: 75kg
Much lower than the 79kg/80kg I had back in February. Then again, back then I was eating like a pig to recover from 8 training sessions a week. My upper body is actually more muscular, I think I lost a lot of lower body mass and fat.

Bench press
3 x 5 @ 67,5kg

Deadlift
1 x 5 @ 122.5kg
Ugly reps, will lower the weight to work on form.

Weighted chin-ups
1 x 8 @ 10kg
2 x 6 @ 15kg

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:01 am 

Hey swimmer, just looking at your training log I see you do no flutter kicks or hello dollies. I know the combat swimmers in the military do a shit load of these and it makes sense. They do it with flippers on too. Also you are doing no pullovers or straight arm pulldowns. Wouldn't this benefit swimming. Also dumbell raises and reverse flutter kicks which is flutter kicks on your stomach. If this doesn't strengthen you you can do them with ankle weights or be like Brad Johnson and do them from a dragon flag position like in his book "Bodyweight Exercises for Extraordinary Strength". That would definately be "strength" training. I cannot see how most of the stuff you are doing is going to help your swimming, though good for general strength fitness. What do you think about this?

Post Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:16 am 

snowlion wrote:
Hey swimmer, just looking at your training log I see you do no flutter kicks or hello dollies. I know the combat swimmers in the military do a shit load of these and it makes sense. They do it with flippers on too. Also you are doing no pullovers or straight arm pulldowns. Wouldn't this benefit swimming. Also dumbell raises and reverse flutter kicks which is flutter kicks on your stomach. If this doesn't strengthen you you can do them with ankle weights or be like Brad Johnson and do them from a dragon flag position like in his book "Bodyweight Exercises for Extraordinary Strength". That would definately be "strength" training. I cannot see how most of the stuff you are doing is going to help your swimming, though good for general strength fitness. What do you think about this?

Hey snowlion,

Thanks for taking the time to read my log and for your suggestions.

I'm currently taking a break from competitive swimming. Unfortunately, I missed the national cut for a few tenths of a second and that was my last chance. I'm still swimming 2-3x a week though.

I've done that sort of training, but it just wasn't working for me. Although that type of training has worked for plenty of world class swimmers, I believe that maximal strength training with compound movements is more beneficial for me since I'm primarily a breaststroke sprinter.

The barbell routine worked wonders for me: I became much more powerful and explosive on the water, especially on turns. I believe that it had a major role in my time drops. Unfortunately it wasn't enough :)

16/05/2012
Press
3 x 5 @ 45kg

Power Clean
5 x 3 @ 62,5kg

Still rehabbing the hip. I can't wait to get back to squats.

Post Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 am 

swimmer wrote:
Hey snowlion,

Thanks for taking the time to read my log and for your suggestions.

I'm currently taking a break from competitive swimming. Unfortunately, I missed the national cut for a few tenths of a second and that was my last chance. I'm still swimming 2-3x a week though.

I've done that sort of training, but it just wasn't working for me. Although that type of training has worked for plenty of world class swimmers, I believe that maximal strength training with compound movements is more beneficial for me since I'm primarily a breaststroke sprinter.

The barbell routine worked wonders for me: I became much more powerful and explosive on the water, especially on turns. I believe that it had a major role in my time drops. Unfortunately it wasn't enough :)

Interesting. I don't know jack about swimming, but I thought I see if you had done that and help you out if you hadn't heard about it. I wouldn't expect heavy weight lifting to help but I guess breast stroking and sprints in the pool is differant form the long distance stuff the military swimmers do. I can see how it would help now. Obviously you know much more about your sport than I. I was just reading your post and thought it was weird that you didn't have what I would consider "swim related" movements. Anyways keep up the good work. Later.

Post Posted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm 

19/05/2012
Missed a session this week, I'm bummed. Can't be helped, though, just didn't have the time.

BW: 76kg

Bench Press
3 x 5 @70kg

Deadlift
1 x 5 @115kg

Post Posted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:31 am 

Press
3 x 5 @47,5kg
(failed last rep on the last two sets)

Power clean
5 x 3 @62,5kg

A week of eating like crap and partying saturday took its toll.

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:21 am 

24/05/2012
BW: 76kg

Bench Press
2 x 5 @ 72,5kg
1 x 4 @ 72,5kg

Deadlift
1 x 5 @ 117,5kg

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:26 pm 

26/05/2012
BW: 75,5kg

Press
1 x 5 @47,5kg
2 x 5 @42,5kg

I knew I wasn't going to get the other sets, so I just dealoaded right then.

Power Clean
5 x 3 @ 62,5kg

Some of these were really easy and high, I think my technique is getting better.

Hip still isn't done healing. I think it will be a while... :mozilla_yell:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs