Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning

Post subject: Reading Ross' Book. Q: Possible to be Strong, Fast, and Big?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 am 

As I'm reading page 7 of Infinite Intensity, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed about what path to take. Ross discusses sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy and how the book isn't a bodybuilding course. I have used this book to help me with strength gains. My achievements thus far include one arm push up and pull up, and 300lb deadlift and squat; however, at 5'9 and hovering at max 145lbs, I do desire to be bigger. To portray the image of a man that others don't want to pick on is what I want to achieve. When I used to be smaller, I would get picked on and bullied. Since getting bigger I haven't had anyone try. I guess size really plays a certain role. I'm not a fighter and don't want to fight. I have the deepest respect for people who do though, coming from a family of fighters myself. Right now I have muscle but for some reason still look so skinny. I was wondering if there is something that I'm doing wrong. :mozilla_cry:
I'm starting to think that one can't be strong, big, fast at the same time, as if the human body doesn't like that combination, that I have to pick one over the other. But I don't think that it's my family's genetics because we have tiny men and giant men in the family. So the ultimate question: I want to be big, strong, and fast. Is this against the law of physiology?

Post subject: Re: Reading Ross' Book. Q: Possible to be Strong, Fast, and
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:44 am 

This book has the best formula for overall bad assery there is! Read it and then apply it and you will be amazed at your new self. Like the book says its all about hard work..........

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:09 am 

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/hardcore.html

Check out this article.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:13 am 

@Chefboy: I do love the book and am definitely committed on the hard work!
@ussjkenny: Thank you for the link! This solves a good portion of my questions.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:51 am 

To answer your question, yes, you can be big, strong, and fast. The example I like to use the most is Vernon Gholston, formerly of the New York Jets. Not a great NFL player, but he's huge, he's extremely strong, and he's extremely fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MURDR63
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRIGORILLA

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 am 

I was going to point you to that same link.

As you made mention of fighters, there are MANY naturally smaller light heavyweights and various sub 200 lbers who went on to either compete or in a few cases win the heavyweight championship of the word. In many cases it was because of their speed. It is certainly possible. Dont race for gains. Take it slow so the body builds the reqired tissues and ligaments too. You'll get there with the kitchen, gym and patience.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:26 pm 

@MURDR: Vernon Gholston is a beast!
@Box4Life: I completely agree with your statement that I should have patience to allow ligaments and tendons to keep up. People say 1lb per week is okay, but that is probably a little too fast?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:30 pm 

I think that 1lb you're talking about is with fat loss. Gaining muscle is a slower process. You can either go the bodybuilding route if you only care about the look or go the route that Ross and many of us here go which is developing a complete body. Personally I gained quite a lot of muscle while following Ross 50 day plan and eating like a horse. The biggest part happens in the kitchen.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:00 am 

This ( http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/rel ... hmyth.html ) has been posted a few times in various threads with similar questions ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62785&start=0 ).

You might find it relevant.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:45 am 

YoungandHopeful wrote:
As I'm reading page 7 of Infinite Intensity, I'm starting to feel overwhelmed about what path to take. Ross discusses sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar hypertrophy and how the book isn't a bodybuilding course. I have used this book to help me with strength gains. My achievements thus far include one arm push up and pull up, and 300lb deadlift and squat; however, at 5'9 and hovering at max 145lbs, I do desire to be bigger. To portray the image of a man that others don't want to pick on is what I want to achieve. When I used to be smaller, I would get picked on and bullied. Since getting bigger I haven't had anyone try. I guess size really plays a certain role. I'm not a fighter and don't want to fight. I have the deepest respect for people who do though, coming from a family of fighters myself. Right now I have muscle but for some reason still look so skinny. I was wondering if there is something that I'm doing wrong. :mozilla_cry:
I'm starting to think that one can't be strong, big, fast at the same time, as if the human body doesn't like that combination, that I have to pick one over the other. But I don't think that it's my family's genetics because we have tiny men and giant men in the family. So the ultimate question: I want to be big, strong, and fast. Is this against the law of physiology?

Don't worry so much about trying to build a physique that will intimidate potential bullies. I would guess that your own confidence and the way you carry yourself has had a more positive impact on your life than the bigger muscles would.

II is a fantastic place to start. The 50 days are really effing intense and you will feel like a champ when you make it through the routine.

If you truly feel like you're somebody that people probably shouldn't mess with, then that will show through, regardless of how big you are.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Strength and Conditioning