Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: Ephedra (Mormon tea) still dangerous in tea form?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:12 pm 

I'm curious, I've read that Mormon Tea aka Ephedra has been used in the past for thousands of years in Chinese medicine for various health benefits. Obviously there's been reported dangers with Ephedra but that's only been with dietary supplements as far as I'm concerned. I was wondering if the same health hazards apply when drinking it as a tea?

Post subject: Re: Ephedra (Mormon tea) still dangerous in tea form?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:13 am 

Ephedra is ephedra. It has been drinken as a tea for centuries. If you want to use it the way traditional chinese medicine used it than look up how traditional chinese medicine used it. It is still illegal though, not that I give a crap. It will reduce your appetite and speed you metabolism. I wouldn't reccomend it. If you want to get leaner focus on your training and nutrition. If you really want to lean out at your own risk than ephedra will help , but only if A. you have muscle beneath the fat already (other wise you will just be a skin and bones), and B. you still pay attention to your diet.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:12 am 

Thanks. Have you tried ephedra?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:54 am 

I think I have when I was in elementary. My friends mom told me she made ephedra tea and she gave me some as we used to stay up all night drinking coffee when I spent the night. As I recall it definately gives you a high. Later when my father was cooking meth he had this red stuff from breaking down the pseudophed's for the ephedrine. He said if you ate this you would get high so I did and it was similar to the tea I drank with my friends mom. I am pretty sure it is illegal though. In any case it sped up my heartbeat and made me feel real high like meth but not as strong or as pleasurable. It was rather like a lot of espresso as I recall. In any case why do you want to drink it anyway? If you have energy troubles it is likely related to lack of sleep, stress, diet or exercise. Also if you have nothing to be enthusiastic about than that will kind of kill your drive for life. By all means try it if you want, you will not likely die, just be sure to be carefull about the dosage. I have survived massive amounts of alchohol poisoning, I have out of hand taken fifteen or more pills having no idea what they were ,passed out in the grass on my walk home and woke up feeling like crap but lived. I have inhaled enough air duster and spray paint to make me literally retarded for up to an hour afterwards. I have O.D.'d on meth and oxycontin. I have O.D.'d on coricidin. I have even overdosed on herbal sleeping tinctures. I have eaten enough shrooms to where it was a mental effort to keep breathing, and I have taken enough benadryl that I literally thought I was in hell. (on the coricidin I thought I died and went to heaven, also I thought I glimpsed heaven on shrooms). Ephedra can kill you ,yeah. It is unlikely though if you are carefull about the dosage. I don't know why you want to drink it however. I was from a drug using family filled with idiots at every turn. I was a dumbass kid, but I always burned with a curiosity and everyone around me was doing something. I wish I knew what I know now, but I guess I just wanted to find stuff out myself. I have payed for that knowledge and gained nothing but dead brain cells for it. If you want to get learn than you need to work out steady over a long time. No shortcuts. I reccomend the book Eat Fat Lose Fat for diet advice. Ross's stuff will get you in shape, no doubt, but being injury prone I have had to look far and wide for tweaks and tricks to help me. Nourishing Traditions is the best book on truly healthy food I know and is written by the same authors of Eat Fat Lose Fat, the later having a fat loss program and and other very good information. I know it is hard to be patient with fat loss , but ephedra is not the way if that is what you want. You might as well just do meth for fat loss. My dad was always ripped to the bone and he didn't do shit. Now that he is in prison he is a fat ass who still probably doesn't do shit.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:10 am 

My curiosity with Ephedra is more so because it was, and maybe still is idk, used by cultures for centuries for its health benefits. Same as my curiosity with raw milk and its health benefits. And I'm aware that ephedra is illegal just like raw milk is in many states (my state, Virginia), but raw milk's illegal status is BS but that's another topic so I was simply curious on the tea and wanted to hear from those who've used it.

My interest in the tea isn't for weight loss or energy, I'm ok in that department, its more my interest in its general health benefits. Similar to my reason to drinking green tea, its health benefit isn't ONLY weight-loss or speeding up one's metabolism. It has myriad of benefits.

Also I've read Nourishing Traditions. Great, eye-opening book. I also read The Untold Story of Milk. I highly recommend the latter if you haven't read it.

I pretty much follow a "weston a price" if that's what you wanna call it. I mean I eat raw cheese, raw cream, raw milk, along with pasture-raised eggs, grass-fed beef liver, coconut oil, fish, red beans and a SHIT TON of veggies and I also eat fruits (not many tho)!!!
Been eating this way for the past 4 years now and I feel great.

I was simply curious about the tea, that's all.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:07 am 

Wow, you probably know more about nutrition than I do than. I did read some of the untold story of milk, but it began to bore the pants off me. I like the stuff about the pastoral societies though. The mongols were definately a powerfull warrior society. I'd say if weight loss and energy aren't your goals than try it. I just didn't want to say to somebody they should use it to get ripped 'cause that would probably cause them health problems and dependancy issues. I also didn't want to reccomend someone use it for energy as both of these would be ignoring the underlying problems like diet, exercise and sleep habits. After reading some of the health benefits it seems like an alright herbal tea for what it is specified for in TCM. Do your thing man!

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation