Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: Bodyfat and fats
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 am 

Hey guys.

First I want to apologize for probably the lamest nickname on this forum ever :mozilla_cool:

All jokes aside. My name is Niels, I am 29 years old and have a passion for sport.
I found this site by browsing around on the internet. I heard the name ''Ross" fall, I got curious and got onto this forum.

My background is: I have always been a goaly in hockey. But I always was the fat kid. Din't really care about it, until I became 18.
Got into weight lifting and football (soccer!, you know, with the foot, not with the hands.. :angelic-green: ), and started to lose so weight, gain it back, got into boxing, and since 2 years I take my body and my health very serious.

I never had the right nutrition but also there I made lots of 'sacrifices' (really wasn't that hard, just had to drop all junkfood, candy and soda) and I am getting better with it each day.

I still want to drop some bodyfat because it just feels sluggish. I am carying unneccesary weight, thats the way I view it.

My diet now excist of good carbs, lots of protein and good fats. My question now is about the fats.
I am carrying 15% bodyfat and I want to drop some more.

The body needs fats. Can i drop the fat out of my diet for now since my body has enough of it on it? Or are those two completely seperate from eachother?

its probably a dumb question, but I couldnt find anything on the internet myself.

It doesn't make sense to me to keep eating fats if I have to much of it on my body?? haha
(15% obviously is relative. Its normal, i just want to get a bit leaner!)

Post subject: Re: Bodyfat and fats
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 am 

You just have to eat a little less in general. Some people respond better to reducing carbs a little, others respond better to dropping fat, in the end the most important process is just feeding your body a little less energy so that it uses the stored energy (body fat).

I tell most people to start with the big 3.

1. Eat enough protein, 2-3g per kg of bodyweight. Some say less than this, but I've found from a body composition standpoint this works best for me and a lot of others.
2. Eat enough fibre. This is your vegetables, fruit and unprocessed grains. Just eat a lot of green vegetables and a bit of the other stuff if you dont want to count too much.
3. Drink enough water. 35mL per kg of bodyweight with an extra 1L for each hour of exercise you do. I'm talking just water here too, dont count tea's or coffee.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:14 am 

Hey, thanks for the reply :)

- 2-3g protein: For me this would mean either 166g or 249.
Is that just getting a feel for how much I need? Or is there a better way to conclude
if I ened the 2g or 3g?? I hit the 166 on a daily basis, not sure if I hit 249 tho.

- At the moment I eat some brinta in the morning. For the rest I eat brocolli,
and I love fruit like apples, strawberries, melon.. Whatever I feel like on any given day --
good aproach?

- I only drink water. And milk. I live in the Netherlands, I am born with Milk ;-)

About the fats:
I eat nuts on a daily basis, I think I eat somewhere in between the 100-125g of nuts a day.
Is that too much then?

Glad I made the post, it felt like such a dumb question to ask haha

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:28 am 

I think nuts are a pretty overrated food (from a body composition standpoint), obviously they taste pretty damn good, but a lot of the vitamins you get can be 'got' from somewhere else, like veg and meat, plus the amino acid and essential fatty acid profiles are pretty lame.

It seems your diet is pretty good, might just need a few little tweaks, like less nuts, a little more lean protein, to sort the calories out.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:43 am 

I was very much in doubt about the nuts. Like you say, lots of the 'goods' from nuts you can get from other foods aswel (foods which I am already eating)
+ the fact they are very high in fat made me doubt my intake.

I eat my meats for dinner. Lean chicken, or a good steak, some beef. Love it.

Thanks for all the tips. Nuts only on the saturdays and sundays from now on :) (because I DO love them haha)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:47 am 

by the way, what do you mean by this: plus the amino acid and essential fatty acid profiles are pretty lame.

??

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:57 am 

Nuts are sold on the premise of being high in protein and 'good' fats, but they aren't particularly high in protein and the amino acid breakdown of that protein isn't very good quality (imagine building a house out of mud bricks vs. good bricks). The fats in nuts aren't too special either, it is just because they are low in saturated fats that the companies use it as a selling point as being high in good fats.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 am 

So, if I understand it correctly. They just don't add that much of value in a diet?
In the weekends, its fine to eat them because they taste good, and aren't that bad,
but if you want to cut some fat of your body, you are better of dumping the nuts because they just add in calories?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 am 

To answer the overall question.
Dietary fat is NOT the same as body fat.
I'd definitely still keep a small handful of nuts in your diet, first because they're yummy - and second because they're yummy :D But 100g+ is too much, you're adding far too many calories to say you're trying to cut.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm 

Metherlance wrote:
To answer the overall question.
Dietary fat is NOT the same as body fat.
I'd definitely still keep a small handful of nuts in your diet, first because they're yummy - and second because they're yummy :D But 100g+ is too much, you're adding far too many calories to say you're trying to cut.

They are nice, yes :) I probably stick to them in the weekends. Just a handful then, or can I then eat more because I ate none of them during the whole week?

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation