Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post subject: Zoidberg's Boxing and Beyond!
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:35 am 

OK, another year another log. The last ones never lasted long (along with my renewed enthusiasm for exercise). This time I'm going a different route and have signed up to a boxing class. It starts in just over two weeks, so I’ll be spending that time working on my general fitness (needs a lot of work), and trying to locate II, NG and my Freddie Roach dvds (I think I know where they are).

My situation is slightly different now, separated from my wife a couple of months ago and all of my training equipment is at the house. I’ll be able to get the small items (kettlebell, dumbbells, sandbag etc) but won’t be able to rescue my barbell, heavy bag or chin-up tower as I’ve nowhere to put them). No big deal though as bagwork can be done at the gym and I can do pull-ups in the local park.

I’ll going to try and ease into it slowly as I don’t want to injure myself.

Post subject: Re: Zoidberg's Boxing and Beyond!
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:37 pm 

OK, finally got started. As I said before I’ll be breaking into this gently to start with as I haven’t been working out for some time and the last thing I need right now is an injury.

Sunday 11th March

My son wanted to go for a run with me so we went for a quick jog to the local park. We had a gentle jog to the park and he’d decided he wanted to do 5 laps of the football pitch. He’s only 8 and it’s pointless me running at his speed, so while he did his five laps I did some short sprints. Basically sprint to half-way line, jog to corner, sprint to other corner, jog to half way line and so on. Did a couple of laps in this fashion then jogged slowly with the boy for three laps. Not used to sprinting and it winded me pretty quickly (been smoking quite heavily since splitting from the wife two months ago , although we’re back together now), so running at his speed after that was about all I could manage. I did make him sprint the last 50m though... Then we jogged home.

Monday 12th March

Didn’t have a lot of time today, and was feeling a bit sore after my first (albeit easy) workout in months so quickly nipped outside when I got home and did 100 Kettlebell swings. Only took a couple of minutes but better than nothing (and better than going out for a cigarette).

Tuesday 13th March

Early morning run. Signed up for the local half-marathon in October so running is back on the agenda.

3.9 miles in about 30 mins (with one hill sprint)
Today was the first time I used my iPhone to map my run. I had got about 300m down the road and had to stop as I was getting tangled up with my headphone cable. Unfortunately the app on my phone sensed that I had stopped and I didn’t realise I had to manually restart it when I carried on so I got home 30 mins later to be informed I had run 0.35 miles in about 2 or 3 minutes :mozilla_yell: . Next time I will make sure that either I don’t stop, or if I do that I restart the app before continuing. Plotted the route out manually and it was 3.9mi. Bloody technology... :mozilla_frown:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:53 am 

Tuesday 13th March

Legs and lower back starting to feel a bit sore having just started working out after a long layoff so I found the foam roller which I had bought about a year ago and never used. Rolled my calves, hamstrings, quads, shins, lower and upper back. Ow :mozilla_yell:

Wednesday 14th March

Feeling very sore from the run and kettlebell swings of the past two days so nothing too strenuous today. Went back to my old work gym at lunchtime. It's a very small gym with mostly machines, but ok to go to as it's close by and they have rowing machines etc for some cardio. Was pleased to see they now have a pullup bar (well, to be honest it's a cable station but it has a pullup bar on it) rather than just the lat pulldown. They have also invested in two kettlebells but unfortunately they are 8kg and 12kg so a bit on the light side.

Did a 2k row followed by 30/30 on the bike for a few minutes, a few pullups, a few chinups, a very quick core workout and some DB bench.

It was an aimless session, hence the ramdomness, but I just wanted to do something, will plan my workout next time. I plan to use this gym as a backup for when I can't get myself out in the morning, and for core workouts as I find it hard to motivate myself to do core workouts at home (not one of my favourite things :mozilla_oops: ) It's also a good place to go for some short intense cardio (magic 50, tabatas etc) as I only have 1hr to get there, get changed, workout, shower and get back to work.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 am 

Hi thanks for checking out my log,I don't know of any similar music but I think Ross has a playlist in his blog so maybe look there.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:01 am 

Thursday 15th March

10 mins warm-up on stationary bike

50 Burpees for time: 5:13 (PB is 4:55) Pretty much killed me. Punishment for eating cake earlier in the day

Not too bad considering I haven't done any burpees for a long time

Was going to attempt some turkish get-ups but my arms were shot.

Did Tabata KB Swings (12KG Kettlebell) My gym only has two kettlebells, 12kg and 8kg. I think they just got them in for the women or didn't know what they were doing (more likely)
The Tabata wasn't too bad, probably due to the weight.

Few minutes on the bike for a cool down, should probably do something else as I cycle to and from the gym anyway :mozilla_laughing:

Think next time I might do 2 or 3 rounds of Tabata swings, or make up a circuit incorporatng other exercises, or just do magic 50...

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:04 pm 

Friday 16th March:

Run: 3.85mi in 28:37 (7:26min/mi)

The iPhone worked fine today, even got updates every mile telling me time, pace etc. Cool :mozilla_cool:

Gonna take tomorrow and Sunday off for recovery. I'm pretty sore all over at the moment :mozilla_oops: . It's my birthday on Sunday and will be celebrating (read: getting drunk) on Saturday night. Might take the kids swimming on Sunday for some very light active rest.

Will hit back on Monday with the Tragic 50. :mozilla_laughing:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:25 pm 

Got shitfaced on Saturday and did nothing on Sunday :mozilla_oops:

Still trying to recove from Saturday night (getting old) so couldn't face a run this morning. Will punish myself with the Magic 50 when i get home from work (will hopefully be feeling a bit better by then...

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:16 am 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Got shitfaced on Saturday and did nothing on Sunday :mozilla_oops:

Still trying to recove from Saturday night (getting old) so couldn't face a run this morning. Will punish myself with the Magic 50 when i get home from work (will hopefully be feeling a bit better by then...

Shit happens gotta live eh
I have not trained properly since my first workout in my log about a week ago.
Gonna do some hill running tonight.Did you check out the music in Ross's Blog

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:21 am 

It was my birthday so I think that's allowed :mozilla_smile:

It's usually these sort of things that break my motivation and I end up getting lazy again. But not this time... :mozilla_cool:

... have my trial boxing session on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be fully recovered by then...

I haven't checked that music blog out yet but will do soon (when I find a spare minute)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm 

Monday 19th March:

Short of time again so just a quick workout:

Magic 50 (16Kg Kettlebell) - 10:47

Only the 2nd time I've done this with a kettlebell. Need to work on my snatch as it was a bit sloppy and my left forearm was getting bashed a bit by the bell. 9 seconds slower than my previous time (back in July 2011), so not too bad as I'm just getting back into it.

Then undid all my good work with a takeaway pizza :mozilla_oops: (the wife's not been well and wasn't up to cooking). Did have a large portion of raw spinach and tomato to partially right the wrong... :mozilla_smile:

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs