Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Carrying a Knife
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:58 am 

When I'm at work I carry the pocket box cutter because it's so handy to have around. Off work I carry the Kershaw Rogue. Nice beefy knife.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Ro ... atic--5263

If I'm in a state that doesn't allow automatics, I carry my Spyderco Caly 3. Also a very good knife.

In my everyday kick around whatever bag. Or as I've started calling it latley. My bag of magic tricks. I have a Navy MK2 diving knife. Godd beefy work horse if I need it. And a Leatherman blast.

One other blad that I recently bought and now keep on my left side all the time is a Benchmade Houdini pro rescue tool. This way I have a deployable cutter on my left side also. Just in case my right hand is not able to work if I'm in a car accident or something similar. It's also a much safer way to cut off seat belts in a rescure, or clothing off an injured person if you are trying to administer first aid.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/30200

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:41 am 

Interesting question here, but how many of you would carry a gun without learning to shoot it and handle it safely? I doubt if anyone would justify that.

In the same vein how many of you who carry knives for self-defense, and have trained in using them for that?

Personally, I believe that knives are phenomenally simple to use, but horrifically difficult to defend against. Still have you either spent time training to use one or training to defend against one?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 am 

I understand what you mean Jesse. Since I don't have a gun, it being NYC and all that, the knife I have in my home specifically for defense is a massive Kukhri, more like a machete than a knife. It's freakin' huge and I chose it specifically for the fact it would encourage any intruder to look for an escape rather than fight. Way I see it if your in a knife fight you're gonna get hurt, most likely. If I do end up in some horrible incident like that, (God forbid, what a nightmare) the cops will easily find my assailant. They'll just have to walk around the neighborhood until they find the guy missing a freakin' arm.

Here it is:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 am 

Jesse wrote:
. . .how many of you who carry knives for self-defense, and have trained in using them for that?

Are there any systems you recommend, Jesse? If someone pulls any knife, and particularly something like BT's Kukhri, I would feel pretty fucked unless I was behind a barrier and was armed with a gun.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:03 am 

I recommend the AMOK system wholeheartedly and there are a number of other people out there that are really good. I really have liked those who kind of throw me in and then teach me the finer points while I'm actively fighting as much as possible. Most of what I can tell you to look for is more principle driven rather than avoid "this" and search for "that". Knives are simple enough that there's really not that much need to teach much about "pointy end or sharp side inserts first". Angles are good to learn, but if you spend hours practicing a complicated number system and patterns then you're building training "blindspots" that will come back and bite you. I'm out of time needing to go out the door now, but I'll try to add more later.

I do recommend however that every single LEO, Active Duty Mil, and person who may come into harms way go out and buy a couple of http://noktrainingknives.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1618361, put on protective eyewear and a mouthguard (maybe a cup too), and hand one of them to several aggressive mean friends and see what happens. Try it knife on knife, or their knife vs your empty hands. Pretend that it's a real knife as much as possible (don't get distracted by it being foam covered). React as you would if it were real. See if it's scary. Training with knives as with many other weapons usually is driven by a realistic view of what could happen if you don't. This is the best way I can show you that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:12 am 

Quote:
Are there any systems you recommend, Jesse? If someone pulls any knife, and particularly something like BT's Kukhri, I would feel pretty fucked unless I was behind a barrier and was armed with a gun.

That's the plan! I whap out the behemoth and they decide it's not worth all this trouble for the sake of nicking my laptop.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:21 pm 

I know you're joking, but I wouldn't base any defense on the assumption that someone's going to run when they see you pull out your weapon.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:50 pm 

Well, if they don't, I assure you that thing is not made out of papier mache.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:19 pm 

To add there's metal knives out there with rounded edged for training and the shockknife.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:54 pm 

Shocknives are good but very pricey. Aluminum trainers are really good for whenever you slow down to work on a technique. However, you really can't use an aluminum trainer with much force because you can still easily chip bones (like in your forearm) without cutting into the surface. Rubber training knives tend to bend and flop. If you want an easy, customiseable training knife, just take a cheap plastic cutting board about a centimeter thick and cut it to match the general shape of your EDC. Just be careful to round the edge and point a bit more. You can easily then wrap the handle in duct tape or cord and have a match for exactly what you carry. The material's actually really easy to work with a saw. I often use one of these for training on a heavy bag to feel the impact of a cut or stab without damaging the bag.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics