Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aggressive dogs!?
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 am 

While walking and/or running:

1. That might be a bit cumbersome to carry

2. Might appear very weird to neighbors, fellow walkers/runners

3. The dog would still have to get within 1-2 feet of you to be able to spray him and at that point would likely already have bitten you.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:29 am 

Thoughts?

A Russian coworker of mine sent me this clip:

"# 1 rule - don't turn your back on the dog, and never run away from it
#2 rule - if you can - try to attack the dog first with loud noises, waving hands, etc
#3 rule - any action is better than no action, so try to defend any way you can.

Also - dogs can't wrestle, so use your body and wrestle the dog down, you'll get some free time while it's trying to get out - may be its' owner will come to help or may be the dog will be scared away to attack anymore.

http://rutube.ru/tracks/2827449.html?v= ... start=3250

Post Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 am 

bpc wrote:
Thoughts?

A Russian coworker of mine sent me this clip:

"# 1 rule - don't turn your back on the dog, and never run away from it
#2 rule - if you can - try to attack the dog first with loud noises, waving hands, etc
#3 rule - any action is better than no action, so try to defend any way you can.

Also - dogs can't wrestle, so use your body and wrestle the dog down, you'll get some free time while it's trying to get out - may be its' owner will come to help or may be the dog will be scared away to attack anymore.

http://rutube.ru/tracks/2827449.html?v= ... start=3250

Dogs can't wrestle, but they can be strng (depends on the race). Most druggies around here tend to keep pitt's and amstaff's, you won't se me running into one of those.
Rule 1 is correct though, hunterinstincts seem to kick in the second they chase something.

Small rule: a barking dog is often not attacking. When it gets into low stance however, be prepared.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 am 

Some thoughts from my Combatives instructor's buddy who is a mailman:

"I finally got internet working properly and had a chance to watch video clip. Too bad it's in Russian. Here's some info to pass along to the utilities guy you know. Like he said in his email, keep the dog in front of you! NEVER turn your back on your opponent - 2 legged or 4 legged. The dog wants to bite something not necessarily you. Therefore, put something out there. As a mailman we have to have a satchel w/us and we're taught to use that assomething to put out there so the dog will bite that instead of us. so as the dog's biting and thrashing the satchel (or jacket, etc), you keep a grip on it and try to manuever yourself somewhere as an escape (front gate, closer to your vehicle, etc).

I've kicked a bunch of dogs since transferring to Santa Fe Springs. The video clip shows this but seems to be a bit too complicated. Just a simple low front snap kick should do. Also, focus on getting the heel to the target. I wasn't thinking of that on one kick and did it w/toe of my shoe out there too much and the dog got a bite on it. Nothing serious, it was a small dog I was able to shake off, but it did make me use my heel on subsequent dogs. And DO NOT be timid when kicking. Fuck that dog - you don't know what the damn thing's going to do and your health, life and ability to work are on the line. Even if you see the owner come out and call the dog or come after the dog, do not let your guard down! (think of the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight - defend yourself at all times!!!)

Carry pepper spray. It won't always work. Like automatic gunfire you got to spray and pray. and if it does work get your ass out of there! Also, if the guy works the same areas a lot he should familiarize himself w/the terrain, homes, etc and see where he can jump fences, hedges and also look out for places that have rocks, bricks, flower pots, garden gnomes etc - anything that can be picked and thrown or smashed into a dog's skull. I did this all the time on my walking residential route. Constant vigilance is key! I would look for metal fences topped w/ornamental spikes (or something similar) so if i was attacked i could hopefully pick up the dog and impale him. I also looked for flower beds that had brick lining for same reason. Since the flower beds tend to be low to the ground, if I was knocked down by a large dog it would be easier for me if on ground or only able to get to my knees to use my weight against the dog's body and crush him against the bricks. Plus dogs can't grapple so that would work to my advantage. Again, fuck that dog - i'm going home tonight! Shouting, etc might also work to scare dog away or at least keep him at bay so you can manuever yourself into a better position for escape. Check also if dog has a collar. A possible tactic is to grab the collar in order to try to control the dog.

Finally, do not panic like a little bitch. Yeah, it can be scary - i ain't going to lie, the first few times I had dog's come at me my training seemed to just disappear from my mind. But after awhile i got used to it. More importantly, I started training myself to get aggressive and face the dog, and handle the dog like an attack from any other opponent. Your mind is your primary weapon so use it!"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:24 pm 

Dude just go out with an umbrella ?!?!!!?!?! 1. u can ope it up in close quarters so i cant see u 2. u can beat the crap out of it 3. it could rain and u dont want to get wet now do you ;P

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:32 pm 

Interesting thread. I agree with the part about giving the neigbor due notice about his wanton beast. and if he contiues to threaten your family, he get a n9ice t-bone laced with poison.

Can the authorities to act and cite the owner. Seems like Reckless Endangerment to me.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:36 am 

Calgacus wrote:
If you get time and dog is thinking and warming up to an attack take off jacket and wrap it around arm . Go into a foot forward fight stance for balance as charging dog leaps to bite the front offered wrappped arm and locks on to shake. Now with rear hand bring over and smash down a hard half brick or solid hand shaped beach rock suited for just this purpose to the top of head while dog is focused on front arm struggle ( carry one in base of buggy pram when out walking baby) Do not fight it or go to ground with it. Kill it outright with rock smashes to top of skull. It wont even see or know the rear hand was coming.

shock its brain instantly.

Take care of the little warrior until she can protect you, sorry to hear of this scare mate

If items are unavailable (HIGHLY LIKELY), I do recommend-if time permits-to wrap a jacket, shirt, baby blanket around an arm and offer it to the dog, but do not strike the dog, dogs arent people and they arent easily stunned, especially a "police/guard" breed like a doberman, german shepherd, rottweiler, etc. Basically, no dog is going to get hit and stop fighting if they're engaged. So I suggest grabbing it around the throat and squeezing. They have large throats that you can easily feel with your fingers, so clamp like you're making the strongest fist of your life.

I have a german shepherd, and I've wrestled with my dog a little bit to test these things (obviously nothing too mean, because she's the sweetest dog in the world), but I've seen her crack her head on a piece of steel, and keep playing like nothing would ever bother her.

Also, go for the eyes, instinctively mammals are psychologically designed to protect their eyes, as they are vital to survival, as well as being the most sensitive organs on the body (yes, even past the testicles). And that is about the only thing i can think of that would actually make a dog disengage... For about 2 seconds, until serious eye damage is done.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm reading alot of the crap people have posted, and I do say crap, no offence to everyone intended, but running scenarios of "would do this if this happened" and "if this is available" or "should do this because POSSIBLY the end result COULD be this", is garbage. Take all the what-ifs out, and just bare-bones, it would be ideal if you could randomly pick up a sign post, or a rock, satchel, and strike it with something. But a dog's body language is hard to read if you don't have experience with it. For all you know, he could be excited to see somebody so late at night, and could want to play, some dogs are trained with poor manners, so they run instead of approach slowly and respectfully.

I believe in the addage "there is no BAD dog, just badly TRAINED, or TREATED" they all just want to be loved by their "pack". Now, everyone's speaking about ATTACKING the dog, or defending, maybe you try and redirect it, bring along some cheap stew meat, the more putrid the better, the more it smells, the more alluring it is to an animal. Keep it in a plastic bag or some such, and when encountering a dog youre unsure of, throw that fucker AT the dog, and go another direction, it might not work because he may be dead-set on YOU, but not for a meal, for a dominance, territorial meeting. Obviously encouraged by their piece of shit owners.

A jacket will do ALOT to protect your arm from a dog, it won't prevent all injuries, but it will negate some puncture, and shredding wounds if the dog decides to thrash. You WILL feel the pressure of the jaws, but dogs dont have saber-tooth teeth like everyone seems to be thinking, with a decent sized jacket their teeth will never get through to your skin.

Dogs are naturally led by their heads, same as people, you look where you walk, and then you walk there. Think about mauy thai, you lead your opponent in the clinch by the head, it can lead him to the ground, or any which direction, and dogs are exactly the same way, if you have a jacket-wrapped arm, you can basically direct him with it, if roll him sideways, there are any number of stomping opportunities, kick its legs out from under it, could cause serious injury to its legs, or more than likely, do nothing but knock it over, again, stomping opportunities. Dogs can be very unpredictable, and they are tough as fucking nails, even injured, or broken, is NO guarantee they will quit.

And pepper spray doesnt work on dogs. Mace, highly unlikely (told by police who have sprayed dogs running at them) bear mace is your best bet, also usually gives a good spray distance of 10-15 ft. or so.

Dogs also tend to jump to get a grip on you if their first attack was unsuccessful (assuming it doesnt go for a leg), imagine what you can do there, kick out its back legs, or more likely walk in, and give a good hard shove to knock it over. Dogs recover very quickly from falls, and knock-downs, be fast.

If possible, carry a SMALL knife, letter opener, utility knife, literally anything will work, just keep it in a pocket, or belt, and when you stab it, stab it in the head, neck, and shoulders, dont go for its torso, it may be smaller than a person, so you can more likely reach its organs, but I see that as a waste of precious little time to stab, side of the neck is obviously ideal, as they have large necks, so a large easy target is ideal. You'll be rushed with adrenaline, maybe shaking, maybe not, you're fine motor skills go right out the window (as empirical evidence from all such attacks PROVE) you WILL be unable to use your hands as much better than clubs, I always try and imagine mittens, unless you have trained yourself mentally and physically to prepare unconsciously.

I repelled a dog attack from my dog when she was only a puppy, I grabbed the throat and squeezed, it then consciously switched from attacking my poor little buddy, or save its own life. It chose wisely.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 am 

Thanks for all the sound advice, guys.

I stroll the kid around happily and no dogs in sight as it is -15° C.

Take care

Faust

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:45 am 

@Mike Irvine: you seem to contradict yourself a bit. You are talking about all the what if's people have been summing up in this thread, yet add you own by distracting the dog and than kicking it's legs away.

Safe to say, if you damage an animal it will go frenzy on your ass. As the mailman said, heelkick it. More muscle in the legs and you keep parts of you body away from the dog (head, throat, arms). If you just kick it a little, it will go in survival mode instead of play/dominance mode.

Wrapping a simple jacket around your arm is needlessly dangerous. An american stafford can have a " bite force can be up to 113 kg per cm2". The wounds from the teeth are not dangerous (well less dangerous than the bite of a human), it's the force behind it and the shaking of the head that makes a dog's bite dangerous. Sinew, nerves, muscle and when confronted with a bad trained dog even bone are the parts to worry about (obviously talking about the bigger races, not the lap-warmers).

Not trying to create a dramascene or arguing to get my point across, but feeding your arm is dangerous.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:46 am 

pl00x chek my tread

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics