Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post subject: Re: How do you prepare for battle?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:41 am 

I'll yell, ill joke with my corner, sing songs poorly, whatever it takes for me to feel/look like nothings phasing me.

The quiet reflection kills me if i try to sit down, close my eyes and imagine whats supposed to happen in the ring. i choke if i feel like there's too much pressure on me so ill lie to myself to calm down

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:26 am 

If i fighter isn't prepared he will know it when the striking starts and he will fight not to get beat up. If he is prepared properly once the striking starts and he gets hit some he will go from thinking human to reacting animal. It isn't in your hands. All the conditioning physical and mental has to have already been instilled in your by your trainers and you have to have trusted them as they condition you so you have accepted what they said as honest.

I think the preparation for battle is done between coach and fighter and between fighters and their teammates. If put into too big of a challenge too soon you stunt the growth of the student. So an important balance has to be balanced. Not letting them think they are better then they are by having people deliver challenges they can't live up to. This keep them from looking for fights against non fighters at work, in school, in a gas station and in bars. Yet they have to have challenges they can live up to so they want to move forward with their commitment because what they been learning has successfully been applied.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:02 am 

A lot of the guys in our club get really worked up back stage, constantly pacing and on edge. in a sense I suppose it is eagerness to get in and do the job but a lot of it is letting nerves take over control and sending their adrenaline through the roof.

I seem to naturally have a way of staying cool and calm without letting it face me. When i fought my first professional K-1 fight, my opponent was much more experienced and bigger, however the way I looked at it and put it into perspective was this... I have managed to survive and hold my own to my best in 3x3 min rounds of hard sparring with my coaches who are with no disrespect to the lad, a league above. So what makes him any better than them? He isn't so it's game on!!

I'm there to do a job, from the second the fight is agreed and my training begins my number one goal is to beat my opponent, if I take it easy on him, is he going to take it easy on me? Not a chance!! He's going to do his best to hurt me to win, not if I do first!

Anything less than 100% is sabotage. I try to go by that quote at all times and is a great way to look at things

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:32 am 

CNiblo wrote:
A lot of the guys in our club get really worked up back stage, constantly pacing and on edge. in a sense I suppose it is eagerness to get in and do the job but a lot of it is letting nerves take over control and sending their adrenaline through the roof.

I seem to naturally have a way of staying cool and calm without letting it face me. When i fought my first professional K-1 fight, my opponent was much more experienced and bigger, however the way I looked at it and put it into perspective was this... I have managed to survive and hold my own to my best in 3x3 min rounds of hard sparring with my coaches who are with no disrespect to the lad, a league above. So what makes him any better than them? He isn't so it's game on!!

I'm there to do a job, from the second the fight is agreed and my training begins my number one goal is to beat my opponent, if I take it easy on him, is he going to take it easy on me? Not a chance!! He's going to do his best to hurt me to win, not if I do first!

Anything less than 100% is sabotage. I try to go by that quote at all times and is a great way to look at things

I agree, you should intentionally train with people you honestly believe are going to be better then your opponents. Otherwise you leave too much to luck.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:00 pm 

I notice with me that my nerves sometimes have a life of their own...sometimes i feel nervous and sometimes I am as cool as a cucumber..it is directly proportional to how important I make it...ironically I personally do better when i dont make it all that important...when i let down the ego and take no offense at someone smashing me in the face ..in fact i actually like being hit..in a weird way it tells me i am alive...i try to look at myself as just another nameless warrior on the field of battle.rogressing towards my goal of being a great fighter...that no matter what happens the experience will make me better..even if i lose i am still getting better than the person who never steps in the ring...and there is just plain joy in using allmy powers against an opponent..and so in a weird way i love my oponent because finally somebody is letting me hit them....and of cpurse real preparation and training ...all the rigors of battle wil be felt in hard training...the actual fight is relaxing compared to the training if you trained right...

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:37 am 

Before I got into MMA, I was into learning skills that can help me in the real world against the common criminal. It's very easy to prepare myself for those situations. I just needed to think that me or my loved ones can get killed.

Click here for a better explanation.

So when I prepare for battle now, it's basically the same. I'm thinking that if I don't protect myself, I can get really hurt.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:10 pm 

I like how Tyson was right before a fight in the locker room. Through his training camp he had been afraid of his opponent, afraid that he would be the one to beat him. In the locker room he still afraid but the closer he got to the ring the more confident he got. And in the ring he was a god thinking, "How dare he challenge me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXtnLkhf4-4

Me on the other hand I'm completely different. I've only competed in No-Gi and Gi competitions. I'm just warming up, hopping in place. I'm thinking about what I'm good at. I'm just thinking "another day at the practice".

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm 

Looking back on my life, I seem to remember always being keyed for anything.

I rememeber when i was in grade school and would have to walk home from my busstop. While the bus dropped me off right on the edge of a paved busy road, the walk home was approximately 3/4 of a mile on an empty dirt toad that cut through the typical desert of Tucson, AZ. Many, many times I recall startling bedded down javelina or coyotes where my first reaction was dropping into a rudimentry fighting stance, ready for what might charge out of the brush.

This reaction was later honed to a razor's edge while in the Marine Corps during security missions in Haiti and Kuwait.

For BJJ now, I am just always in a hyper awareness mode. Interestingly enough, I have found that prior to my matches, I can listen to some ocean waves set to Pacebel canon in d with some controlled breathing exercises to intensely focus myself. My last tournament I felt like I was perfectly set for my macth with a perfect warmup, stretch, and a timed well-measured adrenaline dump. Felt awesome.

I frankly believe that this is just a trait that some people naturally have or do not. Some that have it, do not know how to properly use and and some that do not have adapted without it.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:36 am 

ill never forget how jack demspeys manager talked to him before a fight...he would run in the locker room and demspsey would be sitting down getting a rub down or whatever and he would scream at him..."DON'T KILL HIM, JACK!!!"... DONT YOU DARE KILL HIM....you will destroy your career...you will destroy the sport of boxing..we will never be able to fight in this state again!!! on and on this is what his manager would say to him...and literally would make dempsey promise that he would not kill his opponent...he would remind him that is all about the money..that this is how he makes a living and he is finished if he kills the guy....imagine having to hear all that...it may have put a crimp in his style but man what a confidence boost to know that your whole corner biggest fear was that you would kill your opponent and ruin their careers

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:44 pm 

Don't think of it as hurting them. Chances are, they've trained just as hard as you, and will be offended if you don't unleash on them. You're pitting your strength and will against theirs. That, and they know what they're getting themselves when they sign up for any heavy contact sport. There's gonna be pain, and a lot of it.
If you respect them, you'll give them all you've got.

There is a degree of control you have to have, but that's why we train.

Evil is natural. Good takes control, effort and focus. One of the words that I've come to despise lately is "privilege." People feel that they're entitled to privileges they haven't earned. It's an evil sentiment. Anyone blessed by the Lord received that blessing because they earned it.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training