Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Carrying a Knife
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:09 am 

This is really not about a weapon, but more of a carrying a knife question in general.

I been a knife fanatic on and off for many years and went through many knives, destroyed many etc. I swore to myself if I buy another knife it will be a Benchmade which if anyone knows is a superior product but you pay big $$$ for it too. Anyway, for a few years now I been carrying a folding utility knife with the changeable razor blades and also finding myself using that as my primary carry knife. It's small, it's light, and when the blade gets dull just reverse it or replace. Also, the only time I need a pocket knife is to open a letter, box, the plastic packaging on a new product, etc. For $10 you can get a small folding box cutter and you are set.

Then I found arguments how you can't do this and that with a razor blade like cut an apple. I say, so what. Seriously, if I am going to eat an apple I will pull out a knife in my kitchen: there are plenty of them.

Also, I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife but I found I am spending so much time on sharpening it and I need two hands to carry where the box cutter folder I only need one. Then if I really need a long knife (rope and stuff) why not just carry my Leatherman Wave.

So in short, with the small folding knives that are basically box cutters, can you justify ever carrying a pocket knife anymore that would be used something where the folding box cutter won't or can't do? Leatherman aside for those serve a multitude of purposes.

Post subject: Re: Carrying a Knife
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 am 

Self defense.
Light duty prying.
Work/tool specific (SOG has a multitool with quick pliers, swiss army has scissors or can opener)
The features from a rescue tool (glass shattering and so on)

What are you cutting since the swiss army is dull all the time? You know, the whole "choose the knife that fits you".

Opening boxes should be pretty simple with any decent knife. The plastic packaging is a bit harder, and i like to use my swiss army scissors. I have never sharpened them.

Might be missing something. Personally if i lived in the US i would carry a nice self defense folder that could double as a utility knife. Since i live in Denmark i have my keys.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 am 

Not sure if you can get this sent to Denmark but worth a shot.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6d98/

I like my knives razor sharp or close to it. I am just funny like that.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:06 am 

I used to have one of those and it was very useful indeed.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:24 pm 

It can get send here no problem, carrying it could be illegal. As in depending on the situation you happen to be in when the police talks to you. As in i won't be carrying anything.

Did you decide on a knife?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 am 

I carry a little Swiss Army knife as a key fob. I use the little scissors the most. I was once prevented from entering a federal building because of that knife. I am curious about knife fighting skills so took a few FMA classes. Just got a Cold Steel rubber training knife. Wonder what the feds would say about carrying that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:36 am 

Not really sure where you live, Speedy, but I personally recommend a Spyderco Para 2. Prolly the best bang for the buck and best knife I've ever owned hands down in terms of cutting. Of course in the knife world as in life you usually get what you pay for.

It all depends what you plan on cutting. For work I carry a Leatherman Charge tti, Husky utility folder( for cutting against concrete or anything that could screw up a blade) and my Spydie. With a little sharpening practice and a setup you like there's no reason you cant make a knife sharper than a razor. Just takes time and patience. Sharpening has actually become an enjoyable hobby for me. Kind of like cleaning and working on guns.

Use the bullshit to fuel the hatred. Use the hatred to fuel your motivation. Use your motivation to fuel success.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:46 pm 

This for the simple fact I am a knife fanatic and this thing is bad-a$$. Yeah it's a bit pricey but I learned over the years, and I mean since I was single digits if you want quality you have to pay for it. For instance if you want a cool "looking" knife, get a Fury but you will get lousy quality but a cool design. I wanted the best of both worlds plus functionality, use, and quality. This was the best choice. I almost went with their switch blade but those are considered as illegal but the assisted opening ones are more in the grey zone. Also the only difference between a switch blade vs an assisted opening model is the button: nothing else!
Benchmade Barrage 581

And the Leatherman Juice C2 that will be sitting in my pocket. I have owned the Wave for many years and used to be on my hip for many of those years but noticed an issue with my hip in the area where that things sits. Was also told by a nurse, massage therapist, and some other people that isn't so uncommon. So decided to keep it in my backpack that also has my Snap-On ratchet screwdriver and head lamp. I am in IT for those are my 3 primary tools minus my laptop and flash drives. But I always like a simple blade at arms reach and that bag is just too heavy to lug around for I hardly need what's in it. So I figured the Juice C2 would be the perfect replacement for it's half the weight of the Wave, has the primary tools I need, and it replaces my Swiss Army knife perfectly. The only thing it doesn't come with which bothered me at first was the scissors and the other models have it but they are also heavier. When I really thought about it I next to never used the scissors. As long as I keep that blade super sharp there is nothing I can't do with a blade that I can do with scissors. Also, if I really need scissors I just grab an normal size set and do the cutting and put them away. Even in my house I pull out the scissors only when my pocket knife isn't on me.
Leatherman Juice C2

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:18 pm 

Before i sound like a major douche, Speedy asked me over PM to state my opinion, so i will now talk out of my ass. Edit: state opinion is more of a if i liked, but now it's this

I'm not going to decide what the best knife for you is, buy what you like. If i had the option of carrying whatever i wanted i would go with this:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Crucib ... 681,37.htm

Has a trainer for use in SD so there's carryover between the two systems.

Cheap enough to be replaceable. Utility first design which can also be used for self defense. Tip down carry option for opening like this (SD again):
0:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_sTMXzazM

Again covering SD and utility with carryover between the two.

Alternatives for you work tools could be the leatherman micra which has scissors. Fits in the watch pocket on jeans. I don't have the folder (illegal here) but i'd say you could fit both in one pair of jeans. For work you could probably fit a penlight, a cell phone and some sort of screwdriver in there as well for light duty (if that exists) work when you're not carrying the backpack.

Above is what i would have liked to know if i were you i think.

What you have look like great choices. Many people like the juice (i have the kick and the micra) and Benchmade tend to get good reviews as well. I wish i could have something like that.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:22 am 

Thanks for the input.

What I would really like and spend the extra $$$ if I could get Leatherman to build a COMPLETELY custom tool. With the tools I want, shooting for a weight and size and etc. I know Buck offers that but for only their knives. If I had that option I would remove certain tools, add some, and change others. But one could dream. Maybe one day he will offer that, then again I wrote to them twice about getting a Wave designed for lefties and yet to see that.

As for what's usually in my pockets when I am working, and this is assuming the Leatherman has finally arrived:
2 small screw drivers: 1 has phillips and flat head bits and the other 8 different size hex bits.
2 flash drives: 4gb each.
Leatherman.

I hardly ever need anything past that, but when I do it's either in the backpack, my extra tool bag in the trunk, or the shoulder bag that is filled with CAT5/6 cables and other stuff.

Being a field tech sort of requires this or you won't last long in this job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics