Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Sports Talk

Post subject: 6 Nations 2012
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 am 

My favourite time of year for sport and my favourite tournament. The quality may not always be the best but the intensity and atmosphere are second to none.

At time or writing, France beat Italy without really getting out of 2nd gear and England edged Scotland at Murryfield.

I thought Italy looked improved under the new coach. More consistant and able to go through the phases. Still very strong upfront with some world class players but lacking that cutting edge and a controlling fly half. Will ask some serious questions of Scotland and England.

France looked very good. Simply cruised it, absorbed pressure and they were deadly in attack.

Scotland really must be kicking themselves. They had more possession, territory, and chances and failed to win and score a try again. Hard to comprehend when they are doing very well in pro12 and HC.

England defended well and played as a team, not much else really.

Now for todays game and potentially the game of the championship. Ireland Wales is massive. So many key battle across the park but the back row will be key. In the WC wales came out on top but today i think Ferris and co will get revenge and win.

Overall predictions.

Ireland (Grand Slam)
France
Wales
England
Scotland
Italy.

Post subject: Re: 6 Nations 2012
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 am 

NEXT!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 am 

Superb game of rugby, exactly what the six nations is about.

Wales were superb. Much better in the tight than i thought and apart from a few line outs, very good. Their back are just top top class. George North best player on pitch and thought G Davies was also outstanding.

Bradley very stupid and will get a large ban, which will show the Welsh strength in depth. Thought Ferris was unlucky.

So, time for another predication which will invariably be useless.

Italy V England

A lot of people are tipping Italy to beat England and i think it'll be close but i'm really hoping that another week together and the confidence gained from a win will see England to a narrow victory. Would like morgan and dickson come in for dowson and youngs.

France v Ireland.

Ireland need a big performance and i could see them geting the win, just. Very tight, less than 5 points either way.

Wales V Scotland.

Cant see anything other than a Wales win. Welsh backs too clinical, and if sam is back at 7, could be by about 15.

Lets see how many i get wrong this week. :pray:

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:04 am 

Wales v Ireland was awesome. Two good teams playing well, for the first time ever I actually got to watch it with my brother which was great to!

Scotland v England seemed the opposite. England did not play well, just not as badly as Scotland. Hopefully that was a blip and we will see these teams being competitive for the rest of the tourney.

Italy v France. After a while I felt sorry for the Italians. The French defence were like a wall and there did not seem to be any way through. Fair play to them they kept at it and did not roll over but I am not sure if a credit card would have got through the French line in that game.

Predictions:

Italy V England

I agree that this should be an English win but if Italy step up their game from last week and England are down a notch from last week we could easily see an Italian win. I would give the odds 65-45 in favour of England.

France v Ireland

This is the big game this week. Either team could win, France were not pushed last week so it is hard to guess what they are capable of. I have this at 50-50.

Wales V Scotland

Wales should win this. I have this at 85-15 in favour of Wales.

I am hoping for a Welsh grandslam (obviously) - I am guessing that the determining game will be against France unless England turns itself up a notch.

log
SCA intro

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:44 am 

Wales win the triple crown at Twickenham! NEXT!

Tight game. I thought England kicked for field position and tackled amazingly well. Wales didn't do themselves any favors with the poor kicking in general. The Welsh always looked more dangerous with the ball in hand though, and there was a difference in fitness and in composure - how did England manage to ship 3 points while a man up? and how did a Welsh back rip the ball off a huge English second row for the try?

Also, that last second of the match.... I thought the ref was right not to award the try.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:14 am 

Yeah, no try, the ball l wasn't grounded at any point. I though Lee Halfpenny was outstanding in an otherwise mediocre Wales side. Still, good contest, although a draw would have been a fairer result IMO.

Log: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60609

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:25 am 

I knew I could smell something English.

Halfpenny was great. I used to play full back sometimes and he did so, so well making a yard or two of space in tight situations. He still got scragged but it was enough for his support to get there and secure possession. Very hard work and thankless too, since there's no glamour to be had only a kicking and plenty of scorn if you mess it up.

I have to say though, Warburton was the best player on the park for me. Immense all round. It's great that we finally have an open side to compete with the best loose forwards the southern hemisphere has.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:57 am 

well done to wales. Decent game, very competitive and could have gone either way.

I thought wales would win but thought they'd be more dominant than they were.

As for the strettle try, i personally thought it was a try but i'll admit to being very bias, but, the way flood has been kicking, i thing he would have missed the conversion anyway.

(Also just like to say that i'm really starting to dislike matt stevens. He's clearly needs to get his diet in order and is a referee says "England hands off" you get your fucking hands of and don's shrug your shoulders like you did nothing wrong.

France v Scotland, France win, fairly easy.

p.s Slightly distracted writing this as i'm watching Huck v Povetkin and its pretty good.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:51 pm 

Ah come now Peasant, there was no one angle which showed the try being scored. You really had to get the same exact moment and examine it from all angles. I presume either the ref in the sky did that and decided it wasn't grounded or that the rules state that if the ball isn't seen to be grounded then the try cannot be awarded no matter what. I mean, you can't award a try on the basis of a suspicion can you... it's not fair.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm 

You're probably right Brooklyn but i thought there was one angle that was shown after the game on the bbc 6 nations forum that showed it but all in all, cant complain too much.

But, another thing that has been mention was that steve walsh was playing advantage from another penalty. We didn't move forward by more than 5 yards. Should he not have gone back for the penalty? Not sure what the ruling is with regards full time or if you attempt to score a try?

(and the huck fight was great)

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Sports Talk