Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Shaping up for amateur
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:33 am 

Why the new log? I'll tell y'all why the new log. It's because I created my first training log as a way for me to stay on track towards fighting at a novice level in Muay Thai. Now I've had a couple of novice fights and am looking towards fighting at an amateur level in order to start getting a bit of a record for myself as well as improving that much more.

Before I start, I should let you know the differences between novice and amateur. Novice Muay Thai matches involve 3 x 1.5 minute rounds, 16oz gloves, shin guards, no knees to the head, no packing gloves (hand wraps only under gloves) and go unscored. Amateur matches however are 3 x 2 minute rounds and they are fought with no shin guards, knees to the head allowed, 10 or 8oz gloves (8oz for welterweight and under), and packing is allowed. Amateur fights also have 3 judges scoring each round, meaning that there is a winner and loser and that all fights count towards a record.

Anyway, I'll be focusing a lot over the next while on increasing my strength (especially leg and grip strength) and increasing my aerobic fitness. My training nights are now Tuesday and Friday nights, with Sunday afternoons reserved for sparring as was before. Each strength workout will have a brief finisher as well as core being worked 6 days a week, 3 days being light and 3 days involving much more strenuous movements.

Post subject: Re: Shaping up for amateur
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:46 am 

Yesterday's workout:

Worked up to a new 5rm squat of 105kg. Went back to using a slightly wider stance, as I find it more comfortable. Proceded to do 5 sets of 10 chin-ups. Was kipping the last few reps of the last 2 sets. Finished off with 200 knees on the bag.

Today:

Worked up to a deadlift of 140kg. Wasn't feeling that great with it today, I normally have more in the tank than that. Followed it up with 5 sets of 10 dips, which was much easier than the chin-ups yesterday. Finisher was 3 sets of farmers carries with 2 x 36kg dumbbells. Next week I want to work up to using 2 x 40kg dumbbells for it. Grip strength needs improved very much.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:05 pm 

A nice easy workout for Christmas.

Push-ups: 10 sets of 10

Squats: 10 sets of 10

Sit-ups: 10 sets of 10

A nice 4k run with a bit of sprinting towards the end for some cardio work too. Took my brother for a run- every time we go it gets harder for him, but today was the first time I've actually made anyone puke working out with me. He said he felt queasy, but apparently not- I'll make sure to listen to him in future!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:09 am 

Tonight I have training from 6:30 onwards (not sure for how long). My new training schedule with Muay Thai is going to go...

Monday: Conditioning night at the gym
Tuesday: Pads, drills, etc
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Off
Friday: Pad rounds and sparring
Saturday: Off
Sunday: Open sparring plus free time for use of gym.

Since Monday night is going to be the most intense conditioning day of the week, using it for a strength day isn't very feasible- especially as Monday and Friday mornings I start work at 5:30am. So, Tuesday and Thursday are going to be more "general" strength days, with Saturday being a day for some Oly lifting in my buddy's garage (he has a pretty sweet set-up). So, this leaves Wednesday and Friday as days for doing more conditioning on. So, my schedule could look something like:

Monday: Light, aerobic roadwork in the afternoon
Tuesday: Strength + finisher
Wednesday: GPP workout
Thursday: Strength + finisher
Friday: Interval running
Saturday: Oly lifting
Sunday: Off

Since today is Tuesday, I'll go to the gym and do some basic strength work: Squats, presses, dumbbell snatches, rows, pistols, deadlifts, GHRs, pull-ups, etc. Finisher will probably be some sledgehammer work on the tyre- it's a great day for it. I'll post my workout when I get back.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:02 pm 

Dumbbell Snatch: 3 sets of 5 reps per arm at 26kg

Back Squat: 3 sets of 5 reps at 90kg
Complex pair with:
Tuck Jumps: 3 sets of 10 reps

Bench Press: 3 sets of 6 reps at 65kg

One-armed Dumbbell Rows: 3 sets of 5 reps per arm at 34kg

Finisher:
3 sets of 15 dumbbell swings per arm at 26kg

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:09 pm 

Yesterday (Wednesday) I took the parkour guys for some conditioning work. In a group of about 7, we completed 80 muscle-ups for time on a bar. I think I probably did about 20. Then, we did 150m of walking lunges, with 5 push-ups every 5 lunge steps. Followed that with wall sits for 30 seconds followed by 10 tuck jumps, twice over. Then, we completed some pull-ups, dips, and had a competition to see who could hang the longest from the bar. We also held max-length L-sits. It was surprising to see how few people could actually achieve the L position, let alone hold it. So, we did some core exercises and back extensions. Finished up with a few lengths of bear crawls, backwards and forwards. I also ran about 3k barefoot to and from training- I got a blister as a result, but oh well.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:16 pm 

Strength day!

Dumbbell Snatch: 3 sets of 5 reps at 26kg

Deadlifts: 2 sets of 5 reps at 100kg, 5 reps at 110kg, 5 reps at 115kg

Bench Press: 5 reps at 60kg, 5 reps at 65kg, 2 sets of 5 reps at 70kg.

Pistol Squats: 3 sets of 5 reps per leg with a 10kg dumbbell held out front

1-armed Dumbbell Row: 3 sets of 6 reps per arm at 32kg.

Finisher:

3 x 2-minute rounds of sledgehammer swings on the tyre.

Next training session I have, I'm increasing the weight of both the dumbbell snatches and rows. I'll do some core work later on at the gym right before I start my shift too. Core workout will be a circuit:

3 rounds of:

5 standing rollouts
10 hanging leg lifts
20 Russian twists at 10kg
10 weighted back extensions at 15kg

Roughly one minute rest between circuits.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:24 pm 

Yesterday I ran 5k for my cardio, which was good. Took somewhere around 25 minutes, and was a good run while it wasn't raining.

Today, I haven't heard from my lifting buddy, so did a session of bag work at the gym. Worked on some specific movements, combos, drills, and finished with a set of 50 knees on the bag. Ended my workout with a short but tough core workout:

Dragon flags: 3 sets of 4 reps

Landmines: 3 sets of 10 reps at 15kg

Dumbbell swing: 3 sets of 10 reps with a 34kg dumbbell

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:45 pm 

Yesterday's strength work:

Bar Muscle-ups: 3 sets of 5 reps, first set strict

Back squat: 3 sets of 5 reps
Complex pair with
Squat jumps: 3 sets of 10 reps

1-arm Dumbbell rows: 3 sets of 6 reps

Handstand push-ups: 3 sets of 5 reps, facing the wall, pause at the bottom of each rep- nose to floor.

10 minutes skipping to finish.

Today I just recovered as my legs were really sore- I did a bit of light jogging and some other bits and pieces throughout the day, but no real workout.

Looking forward to doing some more squats and some deadlifts too tomorrow. I'll see what squatting with 100kg feels like for a few sets.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm 

Legs were still sore today- but oh well.

1-arm Dumbbell snatch: 3 sets of 5 reps per arm at 28kg.

Back squat: 3 sets of 5 reps at 100kg (not too bad, considering I was still recovering).

Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure- 16, 10, 8 reps

Glute-ham raises: 3 sets of 5 reps

1-arm Dumbbell bench press: 3 sets of 5 reps per arm at 28kg
Complex pair with
Clapping push-ups: 3 sets of 8 reps

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs