Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Macc's log-o'-riddim
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 pm 

So, here we go... Log time. Sorry about the title, I'm a drummer and we're not known for our wit.

Before anything else, thanks to FeelGood for kicking my arse into starting this. I already keep a diary myself, but I'm on this site a lot and no man is an island, eh. I would *very much* welcome feedback and advice on what I'm doing from more knowledgeable people.

First: I'm training for myself - no competitive aspect or anything. Just on a relentless self-improvement mission.

Where I'm at:

32 years old, 5 foot 8+1/2", 72kg/158lbs.

BF % - no idea really. I have some bathroom scales that tell me I'm 19%, but I'm not convinced... maybe that's right but I'd be fairly sure it's lower than that, going by Google images for 19%. No overhang anywhere, clear 6-(almost-8-in-very-favourable-light-) pack. God I feel like a twat even writing that, just trying to give some info...

Diet is clean (bar beer, see below) - I cook virtually everything from scratch, lots of berries/seeds/oats/veggies/fresh meat/not much bread/no sugary stuff/no white flour. Maybe one 'cheat' meal a week, but never fast food. I live in the English countryside - the meat round here is amazing, eggs are excellent, and I live about 20 seconds' walk from a supermarket, so I can buy everything very fresh.

Decent fitness background. Got a 12-13 year Wing Chun history, love the art, though since moving to where I am I haven't been able to train (bar stuff by myself). I've been on the bi-weekly schedule from Never Gymless for 3 months, jumping rope with a passion for about 6 months before that. Physically in the best shape I have ever been, extremely pleased with my progress in terms of goals and aesthetics. Thanks to Ross for that!

I've just received Infinite Intensity and have dumbbells on the way, so I'm looking forward to stepping it up a gear. Feel like I'm just moving up a level and am ready to handle another level of training.

Some PRs as of 1/7/2011:

L-sit = 31 seconds (was 7 seconds on 24/3/11 :) )
Pull-ups = 13 (fail on 14)
50 burpees = 2:27
100 burpees = 5:47
HSPU = 4x4

Things that need addressing:

- English real ales are a hobby of mine. Working on cutting down (and doing ok), but I really enjoy good beer. Don't drink lager, don't really do spirits/liquor preservative-free real ale all the way. Yes, this is a desperate attempt to justify it... Anyway, definitely my Achilles' heel.

- Should get more sleep. That'd be Achilles' other heel.

Goals:

- Generally to improve strength, improve condition and get fitter/leaner. Standard stuff. Maintain the consistency, pretty pleased with my dedication up to this point.

- Full unassisted standing wheel rollout (doing 6-8 x3 against a wall, 3 days a week, moved away from wall by over one foot in the last month)

- L-sit - 1 minute (long way to go, but just reached 30 seconds today :) Onwards and upwards)

- achieve GHR

- 20 pull-ups (will start doing weighted reps once dumbbells arrive, currently train 3x[2 4 6 4 2] pyramids three times a week)

- continuous double unders with criss cross on the rope (want this one badly! Can do continuous double unders and single criss cross double unders)

That will do for now. I may add some more once I get into II training (magic 50 time, etc). Looking to incorporate some II exercises/modalities with my current workouts, so there's some fiddling and experimentation to come. Never even done a dumbbell snatch, for example... lots to learn!

So that's me. Today's a rest day but I might pootle over to the park for a quick skipping session before catching the tennis. The log proper starts tomorrow.

Cheers all,

Bob.

Post subject: Re: Macc's log-o'-riddim
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 am 

Ok, so much for the rest day;

Sunday 3/7/11

20 minutes' skipping on the basketball court at the park, varying between 70% and absolute all-out 100% effort. Figured out following a criss-cross double under with a normal double under, which is progress towards that particular goal.

Bright sunshine, glorious day, hot, sweating like a nun in a field full of cucumbers. Feeling great.

Nice way to start the log :mozilla_cool:

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:30 am 

Cool log. I'll be reading with interest. Enjoy the final.

— Hagakure

Nothing worthwhile comes easy. Practice, practice, practice.

My Log

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:05 am 

:clap: Alright Macc the log begins! I am jealous of the countryside meat, eggs and ale - good stuff. Nice PRs for the year - I now have a 50 burpee target to go for. No way you are above 15 or even 12% bodyfat at that height/weight and seein a 6 pack always (in my non-expert opinion). I'm just a touch taller 5'9" but 182 (seein a 6 sometimes) and I believe measured out around 15%. That scale ain't made for a drumming wing chun warrior. I may have to pick up a decent speed rope now after reading this.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:15 pm 

Cheers all.

Tennis was great yesterday - possibly the highest quality tennis I have ever seen, the angles they were hitting, and the speed... terrifying! Sat in the pub with a couple of quiet pints, then came home and ate nearly a whole roast chicken. Got to love Sundays :)

@ FeelGood - get a rope man! That's what got me into all this, I still love it. Get a couple though - I get through ropes fairly fast. Luckily the local sports shop sells them for £6. They must wonder wtf I am doing with them, hehe.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:21 am 

4/7/11

8 AM - Core;

L-sit x4: 30, 25, 25, 23 seconds
6 x 3 rollouts to wall
3x [20 pump twists * , 20 supermans, 10 band side bends each side] - 1m 30s between circuits (* Russian twists with a manky old pump handle I have that weighs 8kg)
20 side crunches each side, cos I felt like it and had time

6 PM - Strength (explosive emphasis)

3x [2 4 6 4 2] pull-ups, trying to do them as explosively as possible... for what that's worth.

30 secs between sets, 2m between pyramids. (Would like some advice here. Seems like I'm not approaching this quite right. Max is 13, so 6 is pretty low I think. Thing is I do feel the 3rd set of 6... this whole pyramid thing also takes bloody ages!)

on to the main bit;

4x [10 plyometric pushups, 4x12 knee tucks] (working on behind back plyos. Last set was best, no stopping, hands touched behind the back on every rep and there were even a couple of weakly-audible claps in there :) )

4x [12 explosive high band pulls, 12 lunge jumps]

4x [20 power overs, 20 lateral jumps over the flower pot (no med ball :D ) ] (all reps for both exercises as fast as bloody possible)

To finish - 4x10 20kg sandbag clean and press.

Bought a bag of sand ready to make a proper sandbag and thought I'd try it out. Good fun, hard work but very manageable. Will buy another bag and the rest of the materials this week.

No music today as I was outside in my garden, but I did have Miles Davis' 'Madness' on the mental jukebox.

:mozilla_cool:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:50 am 

5/7/2011:

5 minutes skipping (70% building up to 100%)

Minute drill 1 (NG p.220) x 5

Notes:

- Proper 'determination over lack of motivation' today, very pleased. Left it very late (see below), didn't start til 8pm and was about as close to skipping a day as I have ever been. But I didn't :) When I started my mind was telling me 'only do 4 rounds, only do 4 rounds', so I did 5 to show it what a prick it is. Plus I thought you lot would think I'm a jessie... Maybe there's something in this whole log business :think:

- Absolutely ruined at the end of it. Felt like I normally do after minute drills, but lately I have noticed I am recovering faster from my crumpled post-MD hallucinations :)

- Started late becaaauuuuuse; I was making a sandbag :dance: Got 40kg of sand divided into 5kg bags. Will try 10kg's worth with Russian twists tomorrow AM.

- Will try to sort the log format out and waffle a bit less :mozilla_oops:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:50 pm 

Macc wrote:
4/7/11
3x [2 4 6 4 2] pull-ups, trying to do them as explosively as possible... for what that's worth.

30 secs between sets, 2m between pyramids. (Would like some advice here. Seems like I'm not approaching this quite right. Max is 13, so 6 is pretty low I think. Thing is I do feel the 3rd set of 6... this whole pyramid thing also takes bloody ages!)

As far as that goes ^ I feel you kind of have to stick to something and test to see if it works in upping your max. I used to switch between weighted and bw max every workout and now I'm doing some volume days and testing max again. Both have worked so maybe its just what keeps you going back to the bar again and again (less scientific more just keep it interesting for you).

great work so far - this log could use some tunes.. I just have a feeling you might pick some good ones :mozilla_cool:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 pm 

Professional Plus 2010
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
What is the form meating,I can't understand this form very well. May the artor talk more about it.Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 am 

^ PISS OFF

________

6/7/2011

AM - Core:

L-sit: 31, 29, 25, 23 secs
8x3 rollouts to wall
3x [20 russian twists w/ 10kg sandbag, 20 supermans, 20 side crunches]

PM - Strength:

4x6 weighted chins (10kg in backpack)
4x10 slider ham curls

4x10 assisted OAPUs
4x9 pistols

4x4 HSPU
4x20 band good mornings

3x15 weighted calf raises (10kg in backpack)
3x10 weighted dips (guess what - 10kg in backpack)

Notes:

- Sod it, made all these sandbags so may as well try them out. Changed a few things up for the hell of it today. Not done a chin up in ages, did weighted chins. Not done dips for a little while, weighted dips. It hurt. It was good. Feels like I did a workout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs