Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Training Equipment

Post subject: Re: Instructions on My Home-Made Dumbells vs Walmart Compare...
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:18 am 

ion.357 - You can buy thicker pipe stock at stores like Lowes and buy bigger size hose clamps there too. Just use the same method of contructing them as explained earlier in this thread. Maybe bring a small oly plate with you to the store to double check on the pipe OD. When you get them built, post a pic if you would. Cheers!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:58 am 

I made my dumbells about a year ago and have used the hell out of them. I've had as much as 60 lbs per side so 120lbs total and never had a problem with my clamps slipping and I just used regular pipe hanger clamps. No epoxy. No Tape. I just slid the clamps on tightened them down and then put the weight on with another set of outside clamps and away I went. They are a little bit slower changing the weight out so I just bought some more pipe and clamps and have several sets that way I can set everything up pre work out and I don't have to stop and change during. I took a 2 1/2 plate with me into the store and checked it on the pipes so I made sure I bought the correct pipe. Ross made this suggestion and it's worth repeating.

"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:00 pm 

Anyone ever make handles for 2.5" plates? I work at a gym and my boss just gave me--for free--over 300 lbs of 2.5" plates, but it looks like it would cost me $60-70 to buy 2 dumbbell handles that hold them.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:17 am 

Here is my home made Dumbbell. I have 2 actually but at the moment one has a collar stuck on it so I cant add weight. I bought 2 20 inch lengths of 1inch Glavanised steel tube. Then after alot of searching managed to find some sleeves that are used for the commercial welded dumbbell handles. After that I purchased a set of shaft collars to secure the plates in place.

The whole lot cost as follows:

Pair 20 inch Glavanised Steel tubes = £20 I think (long time ago)
Pair Knurled Steel Dumbbell Sleeves = £6.50
4 1 inch Shaft Collars = £28 (I actually ordered a set of 10 1 inch Shaft Collars for £70 altogether from fastenal.com without looking for a UK supplier first and got stung big time on the shipping! but I have 6 left over for more dumbbell handles if needed).

So total cost for the handles for me was £54.50, which is extremely expensive I know, but they will hold a ton of weight! using 5kg flat plates, I can get something like 6-7 plates either side. So the dumbbells will most likely go up to 60-70kg (132-154lbs) plus the weight of the bar, sleeve and collars. So its a worthy investment for me!

Here is a pic of one of the dumbbells.

Yours,
Beev

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:12 pm 

Beev wrote:
Here is my home made Dumbbell. I have 2 actually but at the moment one has a collar stuck on it so I cant add weight.Beev

Nice DBs Beev. For that stuck collar, have you tried the following:

1. Put DB in a freezer for 2 hours.
2. Remove DB after 2 hours from the freezer and then add heat to the collar only (use a cigarette lighter, etc.) for 30 seconds.
3. With gloves on, attempt to remove the collar.

Let me know if this works. Also, you may want to file the inner diameter of the collar a bit before attempting to re-use it.

Good luck! :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:06 am 

does anyone know where to find cheap 1" plates?

Post subject: Re: Instructions on My Home-Made Dumbells vs Walmart Compar
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:27 pm 

Ross Enamait wrote:
Just to reiterate why one may need longer handles. Here is an 18 inch handle with 4 x 25 pounds per side:
The store bought handles are not long enough to accommodate such a load.
Yipes nice 200lb row. Makes me feel silly for only rowing with 50. Good point about needing the long handles for smaller plates.

Have you ever gotten 35/45 to use more weight with less length? I've seen 100lb plates floating around too.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Training Equipment