Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: I Quit..... smoking:)
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:39 pm 

Yes this is very recent...like 2hrs ago but I'm gonna use this log to keep me motivated and goal oriented. I've already destroyed all traces of tobacco in my home/car/whatever. And I mean destroyed literally. I used to make my own cigs so I dumped all my tobacco, loose into a trash bag, ripped up all my tubes, broke and threw away my ashtrays, and took a sledge hammer to my cig making machine :mozilla_yell: If any of you ex-smokers have advice or pointers I would appreciate it very much. In the mean time wish me luck and for the love of god stay out of my way for the next 3 days..LOL.

Post subject: Re: I Quit..... smoking:)
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:46 pm 

good luck! I still haven't been able to quit. I am on day 5 of my most recent attempt and feeling pretty good. Since cigarettes are $8 a pack in Texas now it is making it a little easier.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:27 pm 

bdl978 wrote:
good luck! I still haven't been able to quit. I am on day 5 of my most recent attempt and feeling pretty good. Since cigarettes are $8 a pack in Texas now it is making it a little easier.

Great job on getting to day 5!!! I'll see you at the finish line and for inspiration read this http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42368 if you haven't already. It's quite motivational. Good Luck my friend
-Larry

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:07 pm 

I was a heavy smoker for several years. I tried to quit a couple times, but it didn't last long. I haven't had a cigarette in about three months now. The biggest thing that helped me finally kick the habit was I absolutely made up my mind that I was done with it. No more BS or lying to myself. Sounds so simple, right?

Two other things that helped me somewhat during the first couple weeks was having fruit, nuts, or something healthy around to nibble on when an urge struck, and also using a toothpick or something similar to replace the physical addiction (this was especially beneficial to me while driving).

Good luck!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:33 pm 

First, good job! I've been off the stuff for almost a year (July 1st). I can't tell you how much better I feel, both physically and mentally. The first few days are a bitch, and there will still be some bad days months afterwards. Here are a few things that helped me.

1. Stay away from smokers, when they are smoking. If your friends smoke, let them know you quit and ask them to support your choice. Tell them, firmly, to not offer you cigarettes or to smoke around you.

2. If you live somewhere that smoking is allowed in bars/restaurants.... stay away from those for a while until you have a strong grasp on yourself.

3. If you get a craving... do something. The longer you think about it, the more you'll want it. If I was alone when I got the craving... I shadowboxed. If I was at home... well, my fiance would always help me forget about smoking :dance:

Good luck!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:12 pm 

I don't know if you Americans are used to snus, but I was a heavy user of this. I always had one of those under my lip, even when I was sleeping at night. These are normally a lot stronger than cigarettes.

I tried to quit, but I couldn't go 24 hours without. I started shaking and sweating, and had to go the petrol station in the middle of the night to buy some. My key to success has been the placebo effect. I saw a new brand of snus at the supermarket and I felt like trying something new. I didn't realize it was without nicotine until I've used it for three days (that's how long I have one of those boxes of snus). During this period I didn't start sweating or shaking at all and I didn't have that incredible urge for nicotine either. I realized I could manage this, and I've been without nicotine since November 2008.

When I've felt the urge for nicotine, I went buying some snus without nicotine. This might have worked as replacements, similar to the experience mdi had.

Good luck mrallen!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:40 pm 

So far thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'm still going strong Now, that's funny only 8 hours in though, yet I know I'll make it. ;) I survived a work shift with out having one at the end of the night now I just need to make it through morning coffee with out one :)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:43 pm 

i've posted this before but for anyone to quit smoking i suggesst running. i couldnt climb 2 flights of stairs without sucking wind a year ago. everytime i got an urge to smoke i'd run til i was gassed. then walk to catch breath. run again til gassed. etc. i'm running in a 5k in a couple of weeks. i smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years. if i did it you can do it. man the fuck up! thats my inspirational rant. fuck those cancer sticks. the first month is hell. but just do it! good luck, bro

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:26 pm 

My friend did dip and chew... he started chewing shredded beef jerky. The stuff is mad cheap and pretty tasty. Also sunflower seeds. My other friend well she has quit 6 times now and is on day...6 I think? It's about will power. Very tricky. If you can quit your a hard ass in my book.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:46 pm 

hey mrallen... how's it going?! congrats on taking the plunge!

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation