Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Links

Post subject: how to do 100 pushups(actually works)
 Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:39 pm 

http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:03 am 

I dont see a benifit of 100 pushups other to impress your friends

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:40 am 
Site Admin

It is a tremendous display of strength endurance.

Post subject: Re: how to do 100 pushups(actually works)
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:41 am 

breggurns wrote:

There's no link, just a bike website, is this spam? :roll:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:26 pm 

Ross Enamait wrote:
It is a tremendous display of strength endurance.

well actually, i can do it no sweat, and i am not that strong(no i dont weight 100 lbs), i think a better show would be squats, now thats tremendus(to me actually, i have naturally weak legs)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:23 pm 

im exactly opposite.

I can do squats no problem, I used to skateboard so have strong legs... push ups? Im naturally weak in my upper body. I can do more like 30-50

This bad for boxing? I can move and its hard to hit me. I am an amateur so I'm not trying to knock anyone out. Just trying to be fast.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:12 am 

http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/Fiel ... 0push.html

edit to update link to:

http://www.impulseadventure.com/weights/100push.html

My workout and nutrition logs

Last edited by Harry Brand on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:32 pm 

It's much harder than it sounds, actually. Because of the large amount of anaerobic endurance required compounded by the fact that its a bodyweight exercise, your own body weight (regardless of whether its muscle or body fat) actually works against you. I've known plenty of guys that could bench press enormous amounts of weight who found it extremely difficult to knock out over 50 pushups in a single set.

I don't box (beyond bag drills) but I would assume that the anaerobic endurance involved in the ability to perform 100 pushups in a single set with good form would at least help you out in the ring when things get tiring if for no other purpose. Its something to shoot for.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:11 pm 

Okay, long post here, but, my understanding was that pushups have nothing to do with strength, they're strictly muscular endurance. Only if you can barely do any pushups will they build strength, otherwise, they're an aerobic (not anaerobic) exercise was how I understood it.

You don't need to be strong to do them; once your body has the muscular strength to knock out about 8-10 pushups, that's all the strength you will get from them. If you take two twins, one who can do 15 pushups and the other can do 100, they will both have equal amounts of strength.

My understanding of how pushups apply to boxing is in this aerobic sense. A boxer wants good strength and explosiveness (anaerobic ability) in their muscles for throwing explosive punches, but they also want muscles that can endure through the entire fight. A tired muscle is a weak muscle, so if the boxer is strong, but has no muscular endurance in their arms, their arms will not be able to maintain their normal strength throughout the fight.

Doing lots of pushups builds up this muscular endurance in the arms. Doing strength exercises that develop explosiveness, that you can only do for a few reps, builds up the strength (basically).

Doing benchpresses will build up your muscular strength, doing pushups will build up the muscular endurance, and doing specific drills will build up the explosiveness of the muscles. If you can bench 300 lbs, no big deal, but if you get where you can use that strength to move your fist from point A to point B very fast, you will generate a lot of power.

Remember, in physics, Power = Force X Velocity (so you want to move that big force the arm can generate very fast).

What the ability to do 100 pushups to me means is that if thrown into a boxing ring, that guy could probably wear down a lot of other boxers who might be stronger but will tire out and lose the strength they originally had.

The ability to benchpress a lot has nothing to do with how many pushups one can do, as the exercises work the muscles completely differently. One builds strength, the other builds endurance.

Like bodyweight squats, which build muscular endurance in the legs and heavy barbell squats, which build up strength. A good kickboxer wants strong legs that can generate a lot of power, but they want to be able to use those kicks again and again and again, which requires muscular endurance.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 3:41 pm 

i am going to use this to max out the push up part of my physical fitness test that i have to take in july for the national guard.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Links