Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post subject: Hypothetical: Is extreme size impossible to overcome?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 pm 

Meet Tim Sharky: http://www.facebook.com/timshark?ref=ts&__adt=12

He's an ex-loan shark from australia and is popular for his daily Thai hookers.

He's a pretty massive guy, around 275lbs. My friend sent me this video: http://www.myspace.com/video/tim-sharky ... y/18423058

I told him I thought the fact that he only goes for 1:17 seconds before getting tired means that he would probably don't do so well against a professional fighter that's half his size. What do you guys think? Is an extreme size difference the end-all?

Post subject: Re: Hypothetical: Is extreme size impossible to overcome?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:34 pm 

Im not sure of his size, by that I mean height, but it wouldnt matter anyways. His liver would look like a minute steak after a few rounds if he didnt go down right away.

100 Burpees: 5:35
1.5 Miles: 7:58
Deadlift: 375lbs @ 165lbs
Bench: 235 @ 165lbs
Squat: 245 @ 165lbs

"The less weaknesses you have, the stronger you really are."
"One thing at a time, most important thing first, start now."

My Blog
http://attack-fitness.blogspot.com/

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:12 am 

Boxing- he can't hang.

Streetfight- probably should avoid this guy.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:10 am 

ChrispyKreme wrote:
Boxing- he can't hang.

You think a professional smaller fighter in a street fight couldn't win against this guy? Let's say 1 on 1 "fair" fight.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:09 am 

JesseHolmz wrote:
ChrispyKreme wrote:
Boxing- he can't hang.

You think a professional smaller fighter in a street fight couldn't win against this guy? Let's say 1 on 1 "fair" fight.

Who knows?

not that it matters, but.....

I'm just saying that while he clearly has no boxing skills and couldn't last more than a few rounds at the most, that's generally not how street fights go. Even if it was a "fair fight", you're fucked if that guy grabs you. You'd have to hit him pretty damn hard to knock him out, so even if you landed the first few blows, he'd most likely get close enough to you to grab you unless you caught a perfect shot and really hurt him.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:50 am 

there's a big difference between a no holds barred square go and a street fight.

No holds barred (except maybe biting), then a decently skilled judoka or BJJ guy might have a good shot even if he were outweighed. A true 'street' confrontation? Are you fucking kidding me? first off WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY, second off, you could be the toughest guy in the world and still have a more than decent chance of losing an encounter with this guy whether it's cos he bashes your head against a palm tree or one of his mates runs you over with his car.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:02 pm 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
there's a big difference between a no holds barred square go and a street fight.

No holds barred (except maybe biting), then a decently skilled judoka or BJJ guy might have a good shot even if he were outweighed. A true 'street' confrontation? Are you fucking kidding me? first off WHHHHHHYYYYYYYYY, second off, you could be the toughest guy in the world and still have a more than decent chance of losing an encounter with this guy whether it's cos he bashes your head against a palm tree or one of his mates runs you over with his car.

like i said, it's a hypothetical situation. it's the age old question of "does size matter?" obviously there's no way to know for sure what would happen, i'm saying in our hypothetical situation there are no 3rd parties, and is strictly hand to hand.

the reason i brought it up is cause my friend thought this guy would be able to win against a seasoned professional fighter in the street and i wanted to ask the people on this forum since you guys are knowledgable on the subject.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:23 am 
For a start, Mr Sharkey doesn't hit very hard. I've seen junior welterweights who can hit the bag that hard. He has a lot of force due to his large size, but very little kinetic energy in his punches.

Secondly, Mr Sharkey's biggest weapon would be intimidation. I'm not sure that he could fight. When he hits that bag his head doesn't move. Any good boxer would nail him shot after shot. If Mr Sharkey got into a fight with an Average Joe he would destroy him. If Mr Sharkey fought a professional fighter he would be counting his teeth.

That being said, the professional boxer would be vulnerable to wrestling etc so Mr Sharkey might have a chance.

Look at Kimbo Slice if you want another example. They've given him enormous amounts of professional training, and still have to feed him second rate fighter who give him enormous trouble. He hasn't been in the sport for long enough to be able to fight.

All that being said, I'm sure Mr Sharkey is a tough guy but there's a big, big difference between tough and professional.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:42 am 

I think gleeeson68 has it, although I have to say, with that giant ugly old head he looks like he could take a shot and there's not many who would trade right handers with him. In the ring it's one thing, what with the gloves and the fact that even a decent boxer learns to roll with punches to lessen their effect... and you'd see this guy's a mile off. A good heavyweight might batter him and even much smaller fighters could outlast him since you can bet he exists on a diet of fags and steroids and doesn't do his roadwork.

Like I said though, on the street though? no ring, no rules, not even a guy to say go? and he gets the first shot? Ta but no ta!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:48 am 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
I think gleeeson68 has it, although I have to say, with that giant ugly old head he looks like he could take a shot and there's not many who would trade right handers with him. In the ring it's one thing, what with the gloves and the fact that even a decent boxer learns to roll with punches to lessen their effect... and you'd see this guy's a mile off. A good heavyweight might batter him and even much smaller fighters could outlast him since you can bet he exists on a diet of fags and steroids and doesn't do his roadwork.

Like I said though, on the street though? no ring, no rules, not even a guy to say go? and he gets the first shot? Ta but no ta!

so with that said, there is no hope against a bigger person in the street?

one thing i think about is when that "worlds strongest man", the polish guy mariusz, entered MMA. at first he was pretty horrible and lost some matches against certain people, tim silva being one of them i think. like you said, there's rules with that, just saying.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training