Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post subject: Re: Hypothetical: Is extreme size impossible to overcome?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm 

I actually had a guy rollerblade past me and spit in my face once. It was really, really foul. I lost my head and chased him down. I caught him very quickly and wasn't afraid of him hurting me - He was a fat piece of shit and wearing rollerblades - but as I was about to grab him by the neck I thought twice and let him go. There just wasn't any point in starting a brawl with a stranger that would have 100% landed me in jail.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:36 pm 
Very smart Brooklyn. Fat fuck needed a smack in the head but it's all OK until the Police arrive and charge you for assault. Funny enough though, spitting is assault and you may have had a case for justifiable retaliation?

I read a great story about Rocky Marciano. Can't remember the exact details but Marciano walked into a pub once and this big "tough guy" went up to him and said he could take him. Marciano, rather than beating the guy to a corpse, said (along the lines of) - 'You know. When I walked in here I looked at you and thought 'out of everyone here that guy could probably take me''. The big 'tough guy' was so proud he shook Marciano's hand and treated him like royalty. Problem avoided and great humility shown by Marciano.

On the other extreme you see dickheads like Haye and Chisora saying they never back down, starting fights, running their mouth etc etc. They are too weak to understand the strength it takes to walk away.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:25 pm 

Quote:
Marciano walked into a pub once and this big "tough guy" went up to him and said he could take him. Marciano, rather than beating the guy to a corpse, said (along the lines of) - 'You know. When I walked in here I looked at you and thought 'out of everyone here that guy could probably take me''. The big 'tough guy' was so proud he shook Marciano's hand and treated him like royalty. Problem avoided and great humility shown by Marciano.

That is some of the most awesome I ever read. If there is any coolness in the world, here it is.

Faust

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:26 am 

Quote:
Very smart Brooklyn. Fat fuck needed a smack in the head but it's all OK until the Police arrive and charge you for assault. Funny enough though, spitting is assault and you may have had a case for justifiable retaliation?

Maybe if I'd have clotheslined him as he went by but he got the drop on me and skated off. that was when I ran through Battery Park at the very tip of lower Manhattan on 4th of July screaming 'You're fucking dead!" in front of about 3 million patriotic Americans, scared tourists and many, many cops. Caught up with him and he didn't expect that one! He turned around and kind of squirmed away from me but he knew he was getting caught and getting the fuck kicked out of him... and that was when it occurred to me.... what now? Do I just start bashing him? As I said before in this thread, if I'm going to fight, it's not Queensberry rules! Am I really trying to kill him? I just knew I was a hair away from a situation that would have been so fucked up and by chasing him down I'd more than played my part. So I took a mental polaroid of his fearful, fat face and slowed down and he rolled away looking shocked and quite confused.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:58 am 

gggleeson68 wrote:
I read a great story about Rocky Marciano. Can't remember the exact details but Marciano walked into a pub once and this big "tough guy" went up to him and said he could take him. Marciano, rather than beating the guy to a corpse, said (along the lines of) - 'You know. When I walked in here I looked at you and thought 'out of everyone here that guy could probably take me''. The big 'tough guy' was so proud he shook Marciano's hand and treated him like royalty. Problem avoided and great humility shown by Marciano.

What an awesome guy, tough enough to not need to fight. I wonder if that guy ever realised how badly hurt he would have been if he had got his way?

log
SCA intro

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:45 am 

Yeah, the Marciano story is great. It's not just a humble and confident thing to do, it's also extremely smart both in terms of the idea that pointless bar brawls are bad but also in terms of how to take a potentially belligerent person and completely de-escalate their aggression and energy level in just one sentence. As a special ed teacher you can only say 'nice work'.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:50 am 

ladygaga627 wrote:
this must be useful.I love it.

fucking spammers man...

http://www.youtube.com/user/MURDR63
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRIGORILLA

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 am 

Not impossible. I've been down to 10st 5lbs and sparred Heavyweigths and did a Dirrell job hot and run, jab to body and back right off. I block a few punches that shook me but generally was ok

Goals for Summer 2012
187lbs
130kg Push Press
110kg Log Press
100kg Farmer's Walk
250kg Deadlift
25 One-Arm Press-ups
10 One-Arm Pull-ups
WIN A STRONGMAN COMPETITION!

MY LOG!!!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64275

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Skills, Strategy, and Training