Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Training for battle
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 am 

Sunday - Home karate workout of approximately 60 minutes. Warm-up/shadowboxing/rope skipping then various drills and exercises for the high roundhouse kick. Followed up with some kata work then finished with some isometric and relaxed stretching. No makiwara today as the kids were already asleep by this time.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:40 am 

Monday - Home karate workout of roughly 60 minutes. Warm-up then worked a variety of kihon (hand strikes/blocks/kicks) then cooled down with a long bit of stretching.

Wife and I started a stricter and more healthy approach to our meal planning last week. We now mostly buy from farmer's markets and a local butcher as well as Trader Joe's. The results? Combined we lost 18 pounds in one week. Insane.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:59 pm 

Kettlebell class in the PM.

Dynamic warm-ups and KB specific warm-ups as usual.

I then did a double kettlebell complex while everyone else (mostly beginners) worked on something else. I used 2x14kg and had to do 5 double swings - 5 double clean and jerks - 5 double snatches - 5 double windmills each side - 5 front squats as one set. The goal was 5 sets in 15 minutes and I finished right at the 14 minute mark. Rough!

We then did high prowler pushes - aiming to get 4 pushes of 30 yards in 9 minutes (alternated with two other guys). Weight was about 405 so they were heavy pushes and we had to stop occasionally for breaks. This and the next exercise ended up being just two of us as the third guy kept having to puke.

After a brief rest we then did battling ropes - 6 sets of 30 sec on/60 sec off. During the rest I was talking with my trainer as there's a Bolt competition coming up which is basically 5 minutes (compared to the long cycle 10 minutes) and I wanted to try the snatch. I wanted to use the 16kg but he wanted me to try out the 24kg as to rank all I would need was 44 reps in 5 minutes. I did 3 easy snatches with my right hand and he sold me so I may use the 24kg.

Finished with a 60 sec hold of the double kettlebell clean rack. I used 2x24kg. PNF stretching with Jump Stretch bands as usual.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:23 pm 

Kyokushin class - about 1:45. Fighting combinations with a partner followed by some light sparring (one side offense/other side defense). We then worked on basics and some kata a bit for the new guys. Finished with some hand and body conditioning.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:16 pm 

Yesterday I did a kettlebell class in the PM.

Usual dynamic warm-up and KB-specific warm-up (using the 14kg) plus "monster walks" (stand with both feet on a band and the band over your neck then walk forwards/backwards/left/right).

We then did some technique work. Using the 16kg I did a few sets of 10 of the following: two handed swings - one handed swings - one arm clean - one arm snatches. Emphasis was on learning the scoop (girevoy sport style).

We then did a Tabata interval of snatches. 8 sets of 20 sec work/10 sec rest and you change hands each time. I was averaging about 10 reps each 20 sec period and it really wasn't difficult at all.

We then did the same with swings alternating two handed swings with one handed swings. I used the 28kg for the two handed and the 24kg for the one handed. Broke down to 4 sets with the 28kg for two handed and 2 sets for each hand for the one handed swing with the 24kg.

Next was a killer double KB complex. You clean both KBs from the floor then press them. You then put them back down on the floor in between your feet and essentially do an 8 count bodybuilder from here (hop back - push up - hop feet apart then back in - push up - jump back to ready position for clean). That's one rep. We did 3 sets of 5 reps. I used 2x16kg which was actually a bit light for me.

Finished with six sets of 20 sec static clean holds with 2x24kg. My instructor says my snatch form is looking good and he's on board for me to try a Bolt-style competition next month (5 minutes of max one arm snatches with as many hand changes as you want plus you can put the KB down to rest). PNF stretching to cool down as usual then I worked the RKC armbar a bit really light (8kg).

Today I placed a big emphasis on kicking. Warmed up with a lot of dynamic stretching and some work on Tensho kata then I worked on my high roundhouse kicks and my spinning kicks. Did some slow supported kicking as well.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 pm 

Missed updating this a bit.

Monday I did a kettlebell class in the early afternoon. We did a different warm-up involving a variety of bodyweight exercises then did our usual KB-specific warm-up.

We then did 5 sets of a circuit: one TGU each side followed by 20 two handed swings and 5 goblet squats. I used the 16kg for the TGUs and the 28kg for the swings and squats. I only managed 4 sets in the given period of time we had which seemed to be about where everyone else was at too.

We then did a Tabata interval alternating one-arm snatches (16kg) with sledgehammer slams on a tire (16lb sledgehammer).

We finished by doing a variety of different carries: two sets of farmer's walks (I carried a 48kg in each hand), two sets of rack hold walks (2x22kg), and a waiter's walk with each arm (24kg). Each walk was for 60 yards with a turn. Stretching as usual to cool down.

Tuesday I didn't get much done as it was the last day of vacation and I had a lot of stuff to do.

Wednesday I did a quick warm-up and some dynamic stretching then for 30 minutes I did as many sets of the three Taikyoku kata and the Sokugi Taikyoku kata that I could. Did a nice long stretching session afterwards.

Today (Thursday) I got in a good kicking-oriented workout at night before work. Did my usual warm-up and dynamic stretches then did some technique work on both the lead and rear roundhouse kick. I then worked front kicks and roundhouse kicks on a padded target. I then finished up with some chair kicking, isometric kick holds, and impact conditioning followed by some deep stretching.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:18 pm 

Really interesting read on your log man, love that last workout with the carries :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 am 

NeilD wrote:
Really interesting read on your log man, love that last workout with the carries :mozilla_smile:

Thanks NeilD. I always enjoy the carries too. The farmer's walk is my favorite.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:44 pm 

Quick one today. Worked a lot of joint rotations and dynamic stretching then felt like hitting some weights today. I loaded 115 up on each farmer's walk implement and just shot for as many as I could do in 30 minutes. Each set was 50ft total with a turn at 25ft and I ended up doing 10 sets. Took my time stretching out after.

Worked a bit on Sanchin throughout the day and also rigged up my phone book target to hang suspended in the air to work as a makiwara-age. Did some impact conditioning on it today and I really liked it. Going to move it to a better location so I can work more techniques on it and maybe even some kicks to see how it works out.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:59 pm 

6am kettlebell workout. Rough one today as I was still tired and my stamina seemed low for the whole workout.

Usual dynamic warm-up and KB-specific warm-up to start. We then did see saw press ladders from 1 to 10 reps (left-right counts as one rep) alternated with 8 one-arm rows each side. 55 total see saw presses and 80 one-arm rows per side total. I used 2x16kg for the presses and 16kg for the rows.

We then did a Tabata interval of sumo deadlifts alternated with goblet squats with the 22kg. 8 sets of 20 sec work/10 sec rest.

We then did another Tabata interval, this time of figure 8s to a hold alternated with tactical lunges. I used the 16kg for these too.

We then did another ladder, this time of renegade rows from 5 to 1 alternated with 10 push-ups in between each (I did mine on my knuckles naturally). 15 renegade rows per arm and 50 knuckle push-ups total. PNF stretching with bands to cool down.

The rest of the day was pretty busy but I got a bit of work in on Sanchin kata.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs