Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Fucking training? How does that work?
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:57 am 

Figured I'd start keeping my stuff here...paper is getting to be a hassle, save a tree and all that. I might go back and update this first page later on.

Stats

Weight: 205

Height: 5'10"

Goals: Long term, compete in strength athletics at a regional level. Short term, squat over 500, dead 600, overhead press 200, push press 275, reach 220 lbs bodyweight without being the Staypuft Marshmallow Man.

Suffering from lateral epicondylitis of the left elbow currently...it's my cross to bear I guess. I get tendinitis fairly easily, although since I've concentrated on balancing tendon strength in my arms I get it less and it stays for a shorter time. Regardless, weight and volume will be down for about a month to keep this shit under critical mass.

"Oh I see...we're playing prison rules, huh?"

Training Log

Last edited by Vic_Vega on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Magnets? How the fuck do they work?
 Post Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:18 am 

THURSDAY, MAY 28-HEAVY OHP DAY

Overhead Press

45 x 1 x 20
90 x 1 x 10
-----------
155 x 1 x 4
175 x 3 x 2
190 x 0
180 x 0
175 x 2 x 4 (push)

Pushed the elbow a little, did not get rewarded for that. Overall kept the volume pretty low. Should have stayed at 175 and did some more doubles instead of burning out by pushing the weight up on my bum elbow.

Seated Good Morning

45 x 1 x 20
----------
245 x 1 x 7
275 x 3 x 7

Just started adding these in on pressing days to work on what I believe is the weak point in my squat: spinal erectors. I will be adding in the standing variation on my lighter days, but seated lets me use more weight. I could have stacked on 315 or more....but there was no spotter available to help me up if I couldn't box squat it back to the pins. Will have to get ingenious on the setup so I don't need a spotter next time.

Barbell Row

45 x 1 x 20
135 x 1 x 10
-----------
185 x 3 x 7

Again, taking it easy on the elbow. Felt it twinge during the last set...made me pretty angry that this pretty much signaled the end of my workout. Had planned on some front and lateral raises but figured better play it safe.

Training Log

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:02 pm 

Late update...been preparing for my cousin's wedding all weekend in which I was a groomsman. Very nice service, and I was even able to work in a quick squat workout Saturday, which I didn't expect.

SATURDAY, MAY 30TH: SQUATS

BB Back Squat

45 x 1 x 10
135 x 1 x 10
225 x 1 x 5
315 x 1 x 2
-----------
360 x 1 x 5
405 x 1 x 5
435 x 3 x 3
455 x 2 x 2
475 x 1 x 1 (shaky)
315 x 1 x 8

475 went up, but for a very shaky PR. I'm very happy with that, 500 is not far off.

BB Bicep Curl

45 x 5 x 10

Keeping it light on the elbows with some high rep work.

Leg Press

4 plates each side x 2 x 15
8 plates each side x 1 x 15
12 plates each side x 3 x 10
4 plates x 2 x 15

I enjoy leg presses. It's one of the only reasons I still work out in a gym.

Wrist Curls

85 x 1 x 50

Training Log

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:47 pm 

It's been a crazy week....getting evicted from your house for no good reason sucks, never try it. Needless to say I've been getting in shitty quick workouts, which generally puts me in a shitty mood....because I know how things SHOULD be going, and they aren't. Not that the workouts haven't been fairly intense, I just miss the iron. Bodyweight progressions bore me. There I said it. The tendinitis is better, though, and next week once I've settled in I'm starting a 2 day 5/3/1 plan until I can get set up at my new place with a squat rack and some weights.

Definitely starting very light, taking 80% of my calculated max on each lift for the first cycle and sticking to the boring but big assistance template to keep the volume up. I've got a pretty nice simple setup planned in my backyard, so I won't even have to warm up to get a good sweat going. Stay tuned to this space for progress...I promise.

Training Log

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:35 am 

You have a log? Awesome. Sorry to hear about the eviction, but good work on those squats!

I can't wait to start 5/3/1 too. I made a deal with myself that I won't until I accomplish some of my weight loss goals. So by the time I'm ready I will probably be about as strong as a little girl, but at least I won't be fat anymore.

Vic_Vega wrote:
Soon you'll be a pharmacy wizard, and you'll be jacked. Who would want to fuck with that? A crazy man, that's who.

"albinofreak620 wrote:
Yo Kroc, we heard you like lifting so we put muscles in your muscles so you can lift while you lift.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:01 am 

I want to start 5/3/1 in August so I'll be watching closely.

Nice squat numbers.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm 

Yeah, I'd give them a go. Kasab recommended using them to save elbows so I got a pair since they were on sale. I got the ones from EliteFTS and they seem good so far.

Log.

"Just remember, until you shit while squatting, you dont have a chance of being as good as Albino." MrKasab.

"You lying slut. You're not fat at all." hobby.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:58 pm 

Nice squat numbers!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:24 pm 

SATURDAY JUNE 12

Saturday was the first day on the 5/3/1 two day program...I calculated my maxes pretty low so that the first cycle will be mostly rehabilitative and hopefully my banged up tendons will have an opportunity to heal. Day 1 is squats and bench presses

BB Back Squats

45 x 10
135 x 10
-------
235 x 5
275 x 5
310 x 10 PR

wanted 10 reps on the last set and made it happen. Could have squeezed out a couple more, but wasn't sure how that would affect the volume work so left it. Now that I've done the BBB work I know I should go all out on that last set. Cutting the weight down for the volume makes it more of a mental challenge than physical, so I'll keep the physical challenge in the work sets.

Boring But Big BB Back Squats

145 x 10
145 x 10
145 x 10
145 x 10
145 x 10

Did this with little to no rest between sets...couple of breaths, some water, and back under the bar. The pump in my legs was incredible...it felt like they were made of solid wood for half an hour, and it was hard to walk. I'm going to keep doing this with as little rest as possible.

BB Bench

45 x 10
95 x 10
-------
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 16 PR

Ok, grossly miscalculated the max on bench. I went conservative because I never bench really, but all my overhead pressing makes pressing from a flat stable surface feel insanely strong. I really believe there will be a lot of carryover from OHP to bench, probably not much the other way. I expect to hit big PRs on bench every day for a while.

BBB Bench Press

75 x 10
75 x 10
75 x 10
75 x 10
75 x 10

I treated these like dynamic effort sets...rested a full minute between each one and tried to make each rep in the set faster than the last. I think for high volume pressing this is the way to go for me.

Barbell Bent Over Row

135 x 10
135 x 10
135 x 10

Wanted to save the elbows so didn't do four sets. Next time perhaps I'll push it, because I'm typing this on Sunday afternoon and both elbows feel incredibly solid(and this is even after a six mile kayaking trip with some friends). Tried to explode each rep, and feel the pull entirely in my back, with a touch of leg english...almost like a bent over power clean. I'll keep the weight lighter on this and really work on the lat pull for a while.

Wrist curls

90 x 25
90 x 15
90 x 10
45 x 35

Trying a new thing for my forearm curls. Going 3 sets of 25, 15, 10 with a heavier weight, then going for a max effort set to near failure with the bar. Ridiculous pump from these, and I got more heavy reps in than just doing one set.

All in all, solid first day. Looking to vastly improve from here on out, and stay healthy.

Training Log

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:29 pm 

Thanks. Best of luck on starting 5/3/1, you already have some good numbers IMO!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs