Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom's Workout Log
 Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:01 pm 

tom.642 wrote:
Whilst we're talking about this sort of stuff, what about straps? I don't mean for silly stuff like pull-ups, or even deadlifts, just stuff like shrugs which have the potential for the grip to really hold the rest back. Or will the grip catch up quickly?

Training looks like it's going OK, do you have any events lined up at the moment?

I view straps with a similar view to belt, it's all about balance. If you have a weak grip then make sure you train it and don't use the straps as a crutch. I have straps and use them when I have too or if I'm doing a heavy high rep set and I don't want to be limited by my grip. I've recently convinced my brother than he was over using straps and since ditching them for all but tops lifts his grip and forearm size have increased dramatically.

Grip has always been one of my strong points and comes pretty easy. I'm no grip monster but it's not often a limiting factor. If we're talking max weight my grip tops out at around 300kg on a standard bar and 230kg on a thick bar. On the other hand if I'm repping out and my only focus is the reps then I'll always use straps (unless it's for a comp that doesn't allow them).

Sorry for the rambling but I thought it best to answer with my own experience. As I said it's all about balance but as a general rule of thumb I'd say don't use straps. They are generally over used that's where grip weakness occurs (and often poor form). Not sure if this will help or not.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Aristotle

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 am 

FRIDAY 25th MAY 2012
Strength
- Pull-ups
BW x10
35kg x4, 2
30kg 3x4
- Bench Press
BAR x10
40kg x5
60kg x3
95kg 3x3
- Shrugs
100kg x10
140kg 4x5
100kg x10
- Farmers Walks
55kg DBs x1 short (broken)
50kg DBs x1 short

Got this in before college this morning, so was a little rushed. Pull-ups aren't seeing much progress, as form is questionable. Considering going back to 30kg to ensure quality, and adding smaller amounts of weight.

A rep or two on the bench had a small help from spotter (I think), so I'll see how it goes next week to determine whether I need to take weight off. 55kg DBs are pretty lousy, will spend more time with the 50s and build up distance.

Post Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:09 am 

SATURDAY 26th MAY 2012
Day in the park doing some calisthenics and topping up the tan in the great weather we've been having. Lots of muscle-ups, with a PB of 4 straight. They aren't deadhang, so that's something I need to progress to. Also need to start work on levers.

Post Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:31 am 

SUNDAY 27th MAY 2012
REST

MONDAY 28th MAY 2012
Strength
- Chin-ups
BW x10
20kg x2
40kg 5x3
- Dips
BW x10
20kg x5
45kg x2
65kg x4, 4, 3, 3
- Stiff Leg DL
BAR x10
60kg x5
80kg 4x5
- Farmers Walk
50kg DBs x4 short (last set broken)

Chin-ups were nice, and karate dip belt broke on the 45kg dips. Had to use the gym's belt for work sets, don't like it as the chains quite short meaning when theres a few plates on the belt it gets a bit uncomfortable. The chain likes to pinch the legs too. Need to get a new belt soon.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:18 am 

TUESDAY 29th MAY 2012
Skill/Core/Flexibility
- HS Work
- Standing Rollouts x10, 10, 5
- Wall Walks 3x3
- Stretching
Various
Dislocates 3x15
- Vacuum 3x45s

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:00 am 

Well glad it was of use. Just as a follow up I snapped a strap today,went for some heavy rack pulls above the knee. Ended up getting an un strapped PB and the went crazy, got another PB but tore the strap clean in half. Heavy duty straps here I come.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Aristotle

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:49 pm 

WEDNESDAY 30th MAY 2012
Strength
- OHP
BAR x10
40kg x3
50kg 3x5
- Push Press
55kg 3x4
- Deadlifts
100kg x5
140kg x2
165kg x3, 2
- Farmers Walks
50kg DBs x1 short
52.5kg DBs x2 short (broken)

OHP has taken SO long to progress, happy that I can start to move up in weight next week. Deadlifts weren't too hard, but I really need to focus on form. Legs are locking out too early, any advice on this is welcome. Probably end up adding some volume with light weight to work on it.

Post Posted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:57 pm 

Quote:
Legs are locking out too early, any advice on this is welcome. Probably end up adding some volume with light weight to work on it.

I used to have this problem too, use the form that Rippetoe advocates in SS(can also be found on Tnation), this solved it pretty quickly for me. If it is a muscular weakness rather than a technique thing then it is most likely a combination of weak quads and glutes to provide the drive from the floor rather than pulling it up.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:21 am 

David_89 wrote:
Quote:
Legs are locking out too early, any advice on this is welcome. Probably end up adding some volume with light weight to work on it.

I used to have this problem too, use the form that Rippetoe advocates in SS(can also be found on Tnation), this solved it pretty quickly for me. If it is a muscular weakness rather than a technique thing then it is most likely a combination of weak quads and glutes to provide the drive from the floor rather than pulling it up.

From my own experience this happens when your upper back and lat strength is not up to par. Essentially your upper back gives out and you have to bully the bar the rest of the way up. What David mentions is also likely to be a factor, it can't help to work on both. Actually I've just remembered I get this when I fatigue (even now) and every think turns into a stiff leg deadlift.

Video yourself and post it here, it's so much easier to see your mistakes when you're on video.

I don't know if it will be that obvious to you but in there's a series of tweaks I've made after seeing these comp videos

I'm at 5:38 but check out Jack Greenhalf at 9:40, thats where I want to be
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at953tQE9s&t=5m38s[/youtube]

Not sure why but the last youtube link isn't working, so here's the URL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3at953tQE9s&t=5m38s

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:50 am 

^ Not going to quote as it will make a wall of text lol.

I didn't really think of the upper back thing.

I guess it could be anything from weak upper back, lats, glutes or quads, or even just a techinique issue.

Lol, does that narrow it down for you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 88  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs