Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 88  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tom's Workout Log
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:50 am 

Yeah, give it a go. I'd just recommend checking out the EliteFTS vids on benching, perhaps even squatting while you are at it. Start lighter, maybe three sets with 60kg initially, just to get a feel for engaging the correct muscles, keeping the back tight etc...

How are you finding german hangs now? Getting a little better? I'm finally at the point where I can completely relax my biceps and pecs and squeeze my traps together.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 am 

tom.642 wrote:
A question for those reading: I'm considering replacing Friday's dips with the bench press. Thoughts?

Why? Is there a way you can do both? I do like Davids suggestion about watching the elitefts bench and squat videos. The biggest lesson I learned from them was regardless of how tight you think you are, get tighter.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/f ... ries-here/

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/t ... can-squat/

What is your training focus? Mine is strongman but I'm also considering raw drug free powerlifting.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Aristotle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 am 

Well I'm with you on the 'Getting Stronger' part, the reason I compete is to give me focus else I'd be the same. Apart from the marathon bit, you can keep that thank you very much.

When I said do both (cliched I know) I didn't mean in the same session. Alternate weeks or something? I'm doing the opposite right now, trying to get dips in but I'm struggling to find somewhere to do them. Pretty sure a solution will present itself in due course.

I'm interested to see how you get on with bench press since your dips are really good.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Aristotle

Post Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 am 

tom.642 wrote:
Nails wrote:
Well I'm with you on the 'Getting Stronger' part, the reason I compete is to give me focus else I'd be the same. Apart from the marathon bit, you can keep that thank you very much.

Are you sure about that? I mean marathons are great fun. Honest.

I'd rather stir fry my own genitals

Post Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:53 am 

THURSDAY 12th APRIL 2012
AM: Sprints
100m sprint, 100 metre jog back
3x5

PM: Skill/Flexibility
- Skipping
- Wall HS Practice
- Wall Walks 4x2
- Stretching
Various
Dislocates 3x15
- Vacuum 3x20s

Am really getting into skipping, was with it for ages today just playing around with the different methods and introducing high knees/sprinting. Wall HS is going OK, am going to try for a Wall HSPU soon and see if it helps with anything. Wall walks are OK too, dislocates are getting better slowly but surely. Was flicking through one of Ross' books the other day and found the vacuum which I though would be a nice simple exercise to throw in from time to time.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 am 

FIRDAY 13th APRIL 2012
AM: 5.1 mile run

PM: Strength
- Pull-ups
BW x10
20kg x3
30kg 4x4
- Bench Press
BAR x10
60kg x10
80kg x5
100kg x1
90kg 3x3
60kg 3x5
- Shrugs
BAR x10
110kg x5
150kg x3
170kg 3x3
150kg x4
- GHR 3x3

First time benching, just trying to see where I am with it. 90kg will be my starting work weight, should shoot up fairly quickly though. Will keep lots of volume with 60kg too to get to grips with the movement.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 am 

I forgot about the EliteFTS videos, I remember watching the squatting one when I first starting up. It's been ages since I've touched a bench so you're right with the starting easy. I've just been wondering recently on how useful the bench is, with all the hype over it I've kind of turned a blind eye to it.

I haven't done any german hangs for about a week now, changed gyms and I've been having a little trouble with doing hangs on a straight bar. I can get the legs through fine but for some reason I'm having trouble putting down the pressure on the bar from then on.

What do your levers look like now? Thought about throwing in some straddle Ls, you're probably ready for them?[/quote]

Yah, I can do a few of the straddle holds, but I find my hips get really knotted up when I do them, to the point I find it hard to squat to depth without buttwinking.

Keep working at GHs on a straight bar, everything will open up eventually, I remember they hurt like a bitch when I started on them.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:00 am 

SATURDAY 14th APRIL 2012
REST

SUNDAY 15th APRIL 2012
AM: 3.1 mile run
Easy.

PM: Skill/Flexibility
- Skipping
Alternate step 5x(60w, 30r)
High Knees 3x(30w, 30r)
Alternate/High Knees 3x 40/20
Alternate x100 turns
Bounce x100 turns
Alternate/Sprint 3x 20/10
Alternate x100 turns
Bounce x100 turns
- Stretching
Various
Dislocates 3x15
- Vacuum 3x30

Had lots of fun with the skipping, really getting into it. Not quite at the stage that it can be used as conditioning but sprinting is better and am getting good at just skipping, if I do say so myself. Need to take another look at Ross' DVD to see where to go from here.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:38 am 

MONDAY 16th APRIL 2012
Strength
- Warm up: light skipping
- Squats
BAR x10
60kg x5
100kg x3
120kg x2
130kg 3, 3, 2
- Chin-ups
BW x10
35kg 5x3
- Dips
BW x10
20kg x5
40kg x3
60kg 5x3
- OHP
BAR x10
40kg x3
50kg x2, 1
45kg x3, 4
- GHR 4x3
- Plank ~3:20

Wasn't feeling strong today, almost failed on the last set of squats. Needed spot on the last rep so didn't put it down. Chins were fine, leaving the OAC negs until I get comfortable with 40/45kg again. Back to 60kg on dips, hopefully it won't be long before I move up to new weight. OHP needs structure and attention, I'll leave 50kg alone for now because I'm not getting much out of it. GHRs are a lot better.
Plank time is weird because I just held it for the length of a song on my ipod.

Regarding the squat there is room for improvement on form, so will try to be more concious of what I am doing in that respect. Also going to throw in more front squats.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:55 am 

TUESDAY 17th APRIL 2012
Skill/Core/Flexibility
- Skipping
Criss Cross practice
Alt/Sprint 2x3 (20/10)
- Wall HS
- Standing Rollouts 2x10
- Wall Walks 3x2
- Stretching
Various
Dislocates 3x15
- Vacuums 3x30

Easy on the skipping as the calves/ankles are a little sore. Criss cross is awkward but got a few. My garage is pretty small and the ceiling is quite low so I may new to find somewhere new to skip when the advanced stuff comes. Got a few good holds on the HS, tapping off the wall.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 878 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 88  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs