Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Rebuilding the Animal
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:29 pm 

He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

I thought it was time to start a new log, a fresh start to help drive change.

As anyone previously following along will know, I'm still recovering from a knee (Torn ACL, meniscus and grade 2-3 MCL) reconstruction, exactly 6 months today. I'm at the point where I can start training a fair bit harder and will be doing so, but it just has to be intelligent, not bouncing heavy squats out of the hole, zig zagging sprints up and down hills just yet etc..

I'll be focusing on being more well rounded than just getting bigger and stronger as I'm at a reasonable sort of size at the moment and will just make sure I'm not getting too much smaller. My schedule is going to be like this for a little bit;

Mon - lower body, cardio finisher based on riding, running, skipping or boxing (i'll probably decided this on the day depending on how I feel and how much time I have)
Tue - Upper body, finisher based on odd implement/carries, plus some battling ropes, boxing etc..
Wed - Cardio Session, building my running up to 40mins straight, adding in either riding or swimming on top of it.
Thurs - Lower Body, same deal as monday
Fri - Same as tues but no finisher as I'll be doing a bit of participating in the gym class I coach.
Saturday - Same as wednesday, followed by some recovery work and the occasional massage.
Sunday - OFF from formal exercise but include some active recovery. Walk the dogs, swim at the beach etc...

Strength sessions will be equal parts Oly, powerlifting and gymnastics, with a little dedicated arm and delt work thrown in. Not sure what exactly Ill be chasing at the moment number/goal wise, but I'm sure something will catch on. I think I get a little more out of my training when I dont get too specific as that is when I seem to get hurt instead.

Diet wise, I'm at 700g of grass fed beef a day, a serve of casein and a small serve of blitzed nut mix, equating to about 170-180g protein, plenty of fat with added coconut oil, olive oil and butter to a lot of stuff and my carbs are cycling through 270-300g, 150-170g, 50-70g with refeeds whenever I feel that they are needed and I've pretty well gone ballistic on those days haha. On a few of my refeed days I've woken up the next morning lighter :confusion-scratchheadblue: I'm at 79-80kg at the moment, which is lighter than my actual weight, but still lighter than I thought I'd ever get again.

Anyway, enough of my book. I'm about to train and I'll get my whole week up to today logged after that.

Post subject: Re: Rebuilding the Animal
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:42 pm 

David_89 wrote:
He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

I thought it was time to start a new log, a fresh start to help drive change.

As anyone previously following along will know, I'm still recovering from a knee (Torn ACL, meniscus and grade 2-3 MCL) reconstruction, exactly 6 months today. I'm at the point where I can start training a fair bit harder and will be doing so, but it just has to be intelligent, not bouncing heavy squats out of the hole, zig zagging sprints up and down hills just yet etc..

I'll be focusing on being more well rounded than just getting bigger and stronger as I'm at a reasonable sort of size at the moment and will just make sure I'm not getting too much smaller. My schedule is going to be like this for a little bit;

Mon - lower body, cardio finisher based on riding, running, skipping or boxing (i'll probably decided this on the day depending on how I feel and how much time I have)
Tue - Upper body, finisher based on odd implement/carries, plus some battling ropes, boxing etc..
Wed - Cardio Session, building my running up to 40mins straight, adding in either riding or swimming on top of it.
Thurs - Lower Body, same deal as monday
Fri - Same as tues but no finisher as I'll be doing a bit of participating in the gym class I coach.
Saturday - Same as wednesday, followed by some recovery work and the occasional massage.
Sunday - OFF from formal exercise but include some active recovery. Walk the dogs, swim at the beach etc...

Strength sessions will be equal parts Oly, powerlifting and gymnastics, with a little dedicated arm and delt work thrown in. Not sure what exactly Ill be chasing at the moment number/goal wise, but I'm sure something will catch on. I think I get a little more out of my training when I dont get too specific as that is when I seem to get hurt instead.

Diet wise, I'm at 700g of grass fed beef a day, a serve of casein and a small serve of blitzed nut mix, equating to about 170-180g protein, plenty of fat with added coconut oil, olive oil and butter to a lot of stuff and my carbs are cycling through 270-300g, 150-170g, 50-70g with refeeds whenever I feel that they are needed and I've pretty well gone ballistic on those days haha. On a few of my refeed days I've woken up the next morning lighter :confusion-scratchheadblue: I'm at 79-80kg at the moment, which is lighter than my actual weight, but still lighter than I thought I'd ever get again.

Anyway, enough of my book. I'm about to train and I'll get my whole week up to today logged after that.

All the best champ :clap:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:42 pm 

Good luck David, I'll be following the same!

''When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful''
-Eric Thomas

Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 pm 

Thanks guys!

This week has been

Mon - Lower body
Squats 5x5 @ 85kg
Deadlifts 1x5 @ 140kg
Single leg and quad stuff
Skipping and boxing finisher

Tues - Upper body
Bench Press 5x5 @ 80kg (dbs suspended either side) also did some light machine rows inbetween sets
Inverted Rows 3x12
+
Massive ROM ring PPPux5 focusing on TUT (I think I have a vid of this to upload)
Lying Tri extension 3x8
+
Standing BB curl 3x8
Meadows style delt finisher.

Wed - Morning running - 22mins 30s, more of a fartlek style, covered some decent ground. Rode for 10mins either side of it. Importantly, no major knee soreness.

Thurs - Lower
Snatches - 6x2 (40,45,50,55,55,55 - the last three sets included a full overhead squat for the catch)
Squats 5x5 @ 90kg
Plate RDL x8 either leg + RLESS x8 either leg x2 for the whole thing, no rest.
Skipping and boxing finisher.

I decided that I need to hold my weight a little longer, I had the worst day of I can think of as far as just craving sugar, ever. I felt so totally drained that even standing up off a seat felt hard. So, I ate some peanut butter and nutella on toast and a little chocolate last night and will be adjusting my calories upwards a bit so that I get a better indication of my actual weight, rather than depleted state and can focus on slowly slowly getting that down.

I'm also very very sore from those damn snatches haha. Was surprised at how OK I was at them considering it has been months away from them.

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:59 pm 

Rode for an hour yesterday and then ran 6ks in 30mins in the middle of the day haha, was pretty warm. Knee is ok today though, looking forward to training this arvo, 5x5 squats at 95kg I am dreading.

Post Posted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:07 pm 

Did the squats ok, deadlifted 5x145 ok, did the usual hamstring and single.leg stuff and finished off with about 350 consecutive rope turns. Might ride the.bike for a little while this arvo and use my new ab wheel, last one.disappeared somehow.

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am 

Good session yesterday, mini workout in the morning of 50 swings, 5 + 3 standing roll outs, 1 min handstand.

In the PM i did 5x5 benches at 90 pretty easily, followed by some rows, rows, rows, ring. Push ups, then meadowa style delt destruction.

Only problem with the day was that i got full with heaps of calories left to eat, so i ate aome chocolate to help fill that in, which activated Davids destroy all food alter ego and ate a bunch more chocolate. Oh well, i know for next time just not to have any lol.

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:09 pm 

A few sessions need to be logged here, my last 3 days of work have been 13hrs, 16hrs and 13hrs again, so I've not had the time to do this. Reduced my training volume on these 3 days too, out of necessity.

Lower body
Hit 3x5 squats @ 100kg
Power cleans, a few sets of 2x80, couldn't do 90kg for some reason.
Other crap, including a few standing roll outs which I'm still sore from.

Upper body
3x5 Benches @ 95kg
other stuff, also joined in with a bit of gymnastic stuff at the class. Full ROM HSPU on the parralettes was niice.

This morning
7-7.5km run in 40mins - this was the benchmark/goal the physio set me before moving on to anything harder, so I'm stoked with this.

Some videos

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:21 pm 

Good stuff bro. Definentily will be following. Good luck, especially with that knee of yours.

Post Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:16 pm 

benji wrote:
Good stuff bro. Definentily will be following. Good luck, especially with that knee of yours.

Thanks bro, been watching yours as well.

Today i.walked 6km on Beach sand to help with recovery and shiz.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs