Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs

Post subject: Caveman's new workout log
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:00 pm 

im starting a new log .... only cuz the old site is gone. i will restate my goals and fitness level for those who care. i have now been working out pretty consistently for 2 months now.

i am now starting to focus on my diet. i have probably the shittiest diet imaginable .... 1 or 2 fast food meals a day drink at night cokes throughout. i am not going to cut everything bad out at once as i will fail and return to my old ways, but rather do what i have done with working out and gradually take away crap and introduce better eating habits.

about me:

age - 22 almost 23
height - 5'6
weight - 177 - 180 (fat not muscle)
current fitness - 25 pushups 0 pull ups 25 squats ... cant run but can hit a heavy bag all day long at a pretty good pace.

My ultimate fitness goal in life is to complete a Full Iron Man.

Goals for this year 2006:
complete 10k
100 consecutive pushups
10 consecutive pullups
250 squats
weight 150 - 155 depending on muscle gains and fat loss we will see when i get near that weight.

Goal for May -
5 pounds loss
30 pushups
include pullups into workout at least 1 or 2 times a week
run more

While i agree with Ross that most long distance runner's are no good at boxing and most boxers shouldnt concern themselves with running great distance i am not trying to become either. i think completing an iron man is tough as hell. i will be using lots of boxing conditioning to build a better body that can go through the stress of that event. i also believe i can also get into great shape by introducing longer aerobic exercises.

well if you read this its much aprecitated. i also cant spell for shit lol.

Post subject: Monday May 8
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:04 pm 

today my medicine ball was finished drying and so i finished taping it.

first workout using medicine ball at all:
5 med. ball slams
5 med. ball toss up (deep squat underhand toss straight up catch)
repeat 3x

10 med. ball throws overhead soccer style

5 x 10 pushups
3 x 5 knuckle pushups
2 x 5 x 45lbs clean and press
2 x 10 squats
10 standing ab crunches w/ med. ball
10 supermans
45 sec. plank

5 x 3 min. rounds heavy bag

med. ball is approx. 13lbs. was definitaley harder than i thought it would be. good conditioner. im going to try and do some ab work everyday as my core is in terrible shape. also decided to concentrate on total body movements with weight i.e. clean and press. any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Hey man
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:59 pm 

Hey man glad to have you on this board. Good luck with your training, its looking really good.

DOn't ever lose focus of your goals, and you will see results man. Hold on to them like you do your own life.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:31 pm 

Looks good, seems like you got a solid training routine, keep it up man.
Try adding in the little extra rep or three to just see if you can do it, which you can with the determination.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 pm 

Hey Caveman good to see ya on the new site! Keep it up...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:08 am 

Hey Caveman, i used struggle alot with pull ups as well but stick with it and you WILL reach your goal. Something that really helped me was anylising where my "weak" link was. it turned out it was my forearms/brachial muscles so i incorporated lots of heavy cleans, rows and hammer curls superset with dead hangs. once i could do a couple of pull-ups i did a few small sets through out the day. hope that helps.

Post subject: Tuesday May 9
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:31 pm 

Woke up today at 9 a.m. doesnt sound early to many of you, but considering i usually get up at 11 or 12 it was pretty good for me. especially since i had no alarm. anyways i was sore as hell from yesterdays workout. i guess the medicine ball gave me more than i thought it would, plus a change up so my muscles werent ready for it.

Diet:
yesterday i also ate healther 2 tuna sands, small bag of cheetohs and a salad no cokes lots of water, but did have 3 beers after work. today i didnt start off as well. i did eat breakfast, which is a rarity, but it was not healthy ham, egg and cheese sandwich and d.p. i have drank lots of water. plan on eating salad and some tuna tonight.

Todays wkt:

each round 3 min. 30sec to 1min. 30sec. rest in between depending on length of song.

2 min. skipping warm up
7 rounds heavy bag (orthodox boxing)
3 rounds muay thai clinching heavy bag (close quarter elbow/knee strikes) ... that shit wore me out
1 round of shadow boxing mauy thai with kicks

1 round of:
8 med. ball squats
8 med. ball tricep extensions
8 med. ball front shoulder raise

went to park to try out pullups. did not go well at all. i cant do one. also cant jump high enough to start from the top and do negative static hangs. so i just hung straight armed. any advice on this as im too short to get to the top for neg. hangs? i was pretty pissed but this gives me some motivation. no pushups today as im pretty well worn out.

thanks to all for the input and advice. :D

Post subject: One thing
 Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:15 pm 

One thing to think about: I know your saying you've been having trouble with your diet and stuff but you gotta look at it like this: IF your just starting out (hell even if you have been up to it), the conditioning and workouts are gonna be more detrimental than the actual diet. Now im not slamming nutrition at all, its super important, but keep in mind that training is the best, and its awesome to see you keep up

Good luck with the pullups man. Constant Progression and Practice is the key.

Post subject: Wednesday May 10
 Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:44 pm 

9 rounds of conditioning
each round 3 min. 30 sec to 1 min. rest in between

rd. 1 kicks
rd. 2 hand strikes
rd. 3 knees
rd. 4 elbows
rd. 5 med. ball slams/throws
rd. 6 sandbag carry/shoulder/squat (45lbs)
rd. 7 core work
rd. 8 combination strikes
rd. 9 med. ball slams/throws

all in all about 35 min. to complete including rest between rounds. i did these rounds at close to all out intensity. im so so tired now. short but sweet.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:33 pm 

Hey Caveman sounds like a good workout today.

I can't do pullups/chinups either, and I'm also short. However I got this idea from Never Gymless: these days I do assisted pull-ups using elastic bands. I got the assisted pull-up kit from www.ironwoodyfitness.com . It is a set of latex loops of varying tension. I also have a doorway chin-up bar - Everlast makes it, bought it from Amazon and it's the type that you don't have to bolt into the door frame. I knotted the elastic onto the chin-up bar (there's a way to do this securely), then when I want to do chin-ups I put my knee onto the elastic and it supports part of my body weight. If you remember physics the elastic acts like a Hooke's Law spring, which means it provides the most support at the bottom, but as you reach the top you will have to work harder to get your chin up the bar. Anyway I am currently using the large elastic but as I improve I will trade it in for the medium, then the small until I can do chin-ups unassisted. I find that actually being able to pull my chin over the bar, even though it's assisted, is more fulfilling than just hanging from the bar.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Workout Logs