Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Talk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chael Sonnen
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 pm 

I absolutely CANNOT comprehend why Sonnen went for this spinning backfist. Why, why, WHY?!?!?!

His plan was obviously working, he managed to take Silva down once and win a round. I even think Silva was frustrated as he had to resort to grabbing Sonnen's shorts at one point.

I just don't understand it, the fight was in Sonnen's favour. Why change something that works?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:26 am 

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:58 am 

Patrol1985 wrote:
I absolutely CANNOT comprehend why Sonnen went for this spinning backfist. Why, why, WHY?!?!?!

His plan was obviously working, he managed to take Silva down once and win a round. I even think Silva was frustrated as he had to resort to grabbing Sonnen's shorts at one point.

I just don't understand it, the fight was in Sonnen's favour. Why change something that works?

Sonnen's old coach (and former UFC champ) Matt Lindland after the first Silva fight:
"He's an incredible athlete. He's got all the tools. But in fighting, you have to be a tough mother[expletive]. And he's just not very tough."

Sonnen was looking for a way out.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:23 am 

I'm not sure I understand. You mean he took a dive?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:11 am 

He didn't make a decision to throw the fight. He's mentally weak. Chael admitted after the first fight with Anderson that he started going to a sports psych to address it. Lindland basically said the same thing - when the going gets tough, Chael folds and looks for a way out.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:50 am 

Bullshit. Calling #2 middleweight in the world mentally weak? Ultimate fighting is a tough sport. And no wimps are entering UFC.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26 am 

ice wrote:
Bullshit. Calling #2 middleweight in the world mentally weak? Ultimate fighting is a tough sport. And no wimps are entering UFC.

Chael said it.

"I have lost 10 fights, 10 professional fights. And I was dominating every single fight, I was never in a war, it was never back and forth. And I lost every fight by submission in the second round. All of them, and I was ahead on all the cards. And I started to look at that and said, 'man, something's going on here. This isn't a physical problem.' Physically, I'm dominating. I don't say that to be a jerk, I was dominating the top guys out there but I would lose. And it kept happening. And I finally realized there's something going on here that isn't physical and I started to look into it."

Post Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 am 

Did he say: "I am a pussy and I am afraid to take a beating"? Nope. And that was what you were implying.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:32 pm 

A convincing win.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:28 pm 

ice wrote:
Did he say: "I am a pussy and I am afraid to take a beating"? Nope. And that was what you were implying.

Matt Lindland (Chael's longtime coach) said that Chael is not very tough. I quoted him directly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Talk