Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: Calories burnt
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:37 am 

I want to start putting on some muscle so i figured a good workout and diet are in order. I have a good sloid lifting plan sorted, but also quite a bit of cardio so i figure to work out how much i should eat i need to work out how much i burn. Whats the best way to work it out?

Also, what would you recommend for a beginner trying to put on weight? I was thinking of 5 meals a day, evenly spaced but steve maxwell and a few other good coaches out there are really against eating so much. Apparently its unnecessary and has a very harsh effect on our digestive system.

Post subject: Re: Calories burnt
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am 

I don't mean to sound strange, but www.myfitnesspal.com is one of the easiest ways that I've seen to keep track of calories eaten and calories burnt. It has an app too.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 am 

ok cool, im not too worried about how many i eat, i can work that out myself. I just need an accurate way of measuring how many i use up. I have a HR monitor if that helps, but i will check the site out in the morning, cheers

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:34 am 

In that case check this out first. - http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:01 pm 

bowlie wrote:
ok cool, im not too worried about how many i eat, i can work that out myself. I just need an accurate way of measuring how many i use up. I have a HR monitor if that helps, but i will check the site out in the morning, cheers

bodybugg

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:32 am 

bowlie wrote:

The best you'll get is "vaguely in the ballpark". To me, it doesn't make sense to track things at this level, it's kind of like trying to work things out to 3 significant digits, when you can only measure to 1 -- you're doing lots of extra work for nothing, and are even more likely to make big mistakes.

My advice is to forgot calculating calories each day. If you want to track yourself, the way to do it is to snap a picture of everything you eat with your phone, and then at the end of the week, look at the pics as a whole and whether you've gained or lost weight. You'll be able to see the big important patterns that move the bar more easily, when you're not mired down in comparing bullshit calories-burned-vs-calories-in numbers which are mostly likely based on bad estimates anyway. At the end of the week, neither the pictures nor the scale will lie though, they're both right there for you to compare.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:27 pm 

I agree with Salto. A little while ago I decided to count calories going in and calories going out. I did it just for a week. Mix things up and I was extremely bored. Let me tell you, I will never do that again. I did research on how many calories I would burn if I ran 8 miles in an hour. I did different calculations that sites gave me, and came up all across the board. Some site calculations said I would burn a little over 800 calories, and another site said I would burn close to 1100 calories. There is no perfect answer out there. Wayyyyy too many variables. Too many factors are at play here. Best thing to do is go by the mirror and scale. And sometimes the scale is sketchy. Most important (for me anyway) is go by how you feel, how your workouts are each time and how you look.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:13 am 

calories can be burnt with exercise and with the help of control on diet. For example, good food with out cholesterol and calories. Exercise play it vital role to burn calories from body.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:03 pm 

5-6 meals a day are good to keep metabolism up, but in this case meal should be of small quantity not the same regular meal. Actually distribute what you eat daily through out the day eating more frequently. Keeping an eye on your daily weight changes is good to see your daily progress.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:30 pm 

David222 wrote:
5-6 meals a day are good to keep metabolism up, but in this case meal should be of small quantity not the same regular meal. Actually distribute what you eat daily through out the day eating more frequently. Keeping an eye on your daily weight changes is good to see your daily progress.

isocaloric intake will have same TEF, ceteris paribus.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation