Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: More on Coffee
 Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:37 am 

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1112010

Quote:
Methods
We examined the association of coffee drinking with subsequent total and cause-specific mortality among 229,119 men and 173,141 women in the National Institutes of Health–AARP Diet and Health Study who were 50 to 71 years of age at baseline. Participants with cancer, heart disease, and stroke were excluded. Coffee consumption was assessed once at baseline.

Large multi-year observational study on coffee and mortality. As always, one study is not enough to make big changes, and observational studies tend to show correlation, not causation. That said, this is yet another in a long line of studies showing coffee's positive health effects -- in some cases, very strong effects. This particular study showed that it does not matter whether it's caf or decaf, drinkers of either saw lower risk of mortality.

Quote:
During 5,148,760 person-years of follow-up between 1995 and 2008, a total of 33,731 men and 18,784 women died. In age-adjusted models, the risk of death was increased among coffee drinkers. However, coffee drinkers were also more likely to smoke, and, after adjustment for tobacco-smoking status and other potential confounders, there was a significant inverse association between coffee consumption and mortality.

Interpretation: At first, it looked like coffee drinkers were more likely to die, but when adjusted for other risk factors like smoking, it was found coffee drinkers were less likely to die. Of course, without knowing exactly which confounders were adjusted for, we can't be totally sure they didn't hand-pick the data to show desired results.

Quote:
Conclusions

In this large prospective study, coffee consumption was inversely associated with total and cause-specific mortality. Whether this was a causal or associational finding cannot be determined from our data. (Funded by the Intramural Research Program of the National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics.)

I assume this means that the study wasn't funded by the coffee industry...

Post subject: Re: More on Coffee
 Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:48 am 

I love coffee, and have some every day.
But if I have it before a workout, it bothers my stomach a bit, unless I drink a lot of water along with it.
Don't know if it's acidic or not, but I usually steer clear of it before training.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:37 am 

I usually have a little bit of coffee every day, but I've been cutting back a lot. There was a point in time when I was drinking 2-3 cups a day, but since I've started lowering my intake, I find myself craving it less and less, as well. Maybe it's just a mental thing, but I feel as though a cup of coffee in the morning with a well balanced breakfast assists my metabolism. It's probably not true, though.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:30 pm 

Coffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

Fiend here. I'll let you know about the death thing when it happens.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 am 

GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEA.
Coffee tastes like ass =(

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:33 am 

If you're from Leeds, surely it tastes like arse ;)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:55 pm 

Macc wrote:
If you're from Leeds, surely it tastes like arse ;)

Nah, I'm not from Leeds.. I lived there a while, I'm not actually there anymore but too lazy to update it ;D

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:48 am 

Salto what's the recommended amount to reap coffee's benefits? And is there a limit? (which I'm sure could vary for each person but in general)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:06 am 

I'm going by memory here, so re-check this ...

I don't think we know an upper limit, but obviously enough, the more you drink a day (if it's caf), the worse caffeine dependency you'll develop. But some of the data is really interesting. For example, there's a lot of evidence for coffee warding off diabetes (I *think* I have the right disease, would need to go back and check!), and the data shows increasing protection as you drink more coffee -- up to 6 cups a day! Most people still say "drink coffee in moderation", but most people also wouldn't consider 6 cups "moderation", and at least some studies show clearly increasing benefits up to that level. Of course, 6 coffee-maker-cups is only about 2-2.5 large mugsful, so maybe that is moderate. Going by coffeemaker-sized cups, I limit my caf consumption to 1-2 cups per day, because I know from experience that at that level, I can cut off caffeine cold turkey with no ill effects, and typically drink another 3-4 cups of swiss water decaf. Again, those 4-6 coffee maker cups are only about 2 mugs worth of coffee

Post Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 am 

Salto wrote:
I'm going by memory here, so re-check this ...

I don't think we know an upper limit, but obviously enough, the more you drink a day (if it's caf), the worse caffeine dependency you'll develop. But some of the data is really interesting. For example, there's a lot of evidence for coffee warding off diabetes (I *think* I have the right disease, would need to go back and check!), and the data shows increasing protection as you drink more coffee -- up to 6 cups a day! Most people still say "drink coffee in moderation", but most people also wouldn't consider 6 cups "moderation", and at least some studies show clearly increasing benefits up to that level. Of course, 6 coffee-maker-cups is only about 2-2.5 large mugsful, so maybe that is moderate. Going by coffeemaker-sized cups, I limit my caf consumption to 1-2 cups per day, because I know from experience that at that level, I can cut off caffeine cold turkey with no ill effects, and typically drink another 3-4 cups of swiss water decaf. Again, those 4-6 coffee maker cups are only about 2 mugs worth of coffee

Thanks Salto. Yea me personally I've been drinking about 2-3 mugfuls, but could be more because my mug is pretty big l-o-l. So guess-timating, I think I get about 8 cups of black Colombian coffee. (based on coffee-maker-cups).

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation