Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Paleo one more time
 Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:58 pm 

I'm getting ready to heat up some oatmeal.
Then it's shower time, and off to church I go.
I think I'll thank God this morning for putting grains on this earth for me to enjoy.

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:53 pm 

Lui wrote:
First of all a real paleo diet doesn't exist. Who knows what people ate back then and I'm sure it varied even back then, depending on what the climate was and what was available. People in Africa ate different than people in colder regions, just like they do now. Humans are meant to adapt. Evolution doesn't make humans and their ancestors eat the right stuff for millions of years and then it makes a u-turn letting us eat the wrong stuff all of a sudden.

Btw, the way Armstrong eats is about the way billions of Asians eat without cycling several hours a day and they're all slim.

good points, and something i actually meant topost about yesterday. traditional diets/ancestral diets varried from culture to culture, due to geographic location. while experts don't know 100% of everything that as eaten, they do know that those diets, across the board, were low in or excluded grains cmpletely. like i mentioned earlier, if a primative culture forraged for a little bit of grain, that may have been the case. but it was in no way shape or form a staple in any diet anywhere in the world, prior to 10,000 years ago.

and it's funny you mention traditional asians and rice consumption. if you look at asians, or any other culture eating a traditionaldiet (samoans/pacific islanders/inuit/native americans) and then look at them after their exposure to westernized diets, you'll see drastic increases in obesity, heart disease, cancer, etc. and again, i have already discussed how rice is what is referred to as a safe starch

Post Posted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:57 pm 

Lui wrote:
counterpuncher wrote:
I also don't understand why people feel the need to convince others that THEIR diet is best for everyone.

Me neither. For years I have to listen to people telling me that my diet sucks and only their diet will make me 1000% healthy and live to be 150 while being shredded, fit with a six-pack. All other diets are the road to disease, beer guts, misery and death.

not on the rug wrote:
didn't i provide you a list of people who eat paleo and are at the top of their games? I'm sure i could always dig up a few more.

A few? If this diet is so much more superior, wouldn't the nutritionists of ALL top athletes have figured this out? Are they all THAT ignorant. I mean it's their job to get the best out of their athletes and winning or losing makes the difference a billions of dollars. I'm sure if a bunch of flabby office nerds who train at CrossFit gyms found out that this diet is the holy grail of diets, then a top notch nutritionist who does nothing else than analyze what works best for their athletes would have figured it out.

not on the rug wrote:
and things like yams and rice don't prove your point. for the 100th time, those are safe starches.

Only Usain Bolt mentioned yams and rice but it also was said that he doesn't have a fixed diet and that his favorite food is KFC. The others all eat grains.

not on the rug wrote:
its not atkins. and another point to make is that these guys are training their asses off and could eat just about anything and perform well.

But wait, other people in the past have told me low carb is the way to go and that THEIR diet is the holy grail of diets. I'm confused :angelic-grayflying:

not on the rug wrote:
having a low body fat, etc does not mean ideal health. health and weight are not the same thing. so just because someone may appear healthy on the outside, it doesn't mean they are healthy on the inside.

Funny that you mention that. When I look at all the paleo gurus that's exactly what I think:

Loren Cordain: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/-xP1pt6Uy9M/0.jpg

Robb Wolf: http://www.primalgirl.com/wp-content/up ... .jpg?w=300

Gary Taubes: http://freetheanimal.com/images/2011/08 ... nd-Bea.JPG

Mark Sisson: http://www.paleoblog.org/wp-content/upl ... .32-PM.png
:angelic-green:

Anyway, I don't care if Bolts, Armstrong, Klitschko and Phelps "get away" with their diet because they burn a lot of calories. That is what low carb promoters argue. We're talking about PERFOMANCE not body fat. If they would be much better on a paleo diet, they would be on it.

posting pictures of people doesn't prove anything. loren cordain is like 80 yeas old, taubes is a low carb idiot (for the 100th time eating paleo doesn't equal low carnb). sisson and wolf are both absolutely shredded, and both openly post their bloodwork results, which are absolutely perfect.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:28 am 

not on the rug wrote:
posting pictures of people doesn't prove anything. loren cordain is like 80 yeas old, taubes is a low carb idiot (for the 100th time eating paleo doesn't equal low carnb). sisson and wolf are both absolutely shredded, and both openly post their bloodwork results, which are absolutely perfect.

Cordain is 61 although he looks like he's 80.
Wolf is shredded? Pics?
I hate to break the news but there is no such thing as a perfect diet. Even with paleo people can get sick and will die eventually. You mentioned people you know who got sick by eating grains. What was their life style like other than eating grains? Did they otherwise eat totally healthy, exercise? Do you honestly believe that on a paleo diet you can't get sick and that people who get Lupus or MS wouldn't get this on paleo? Animals in the wild get sick too.

You can also get shredded, fit and healthy on other healthy diets. Paleo is not the holy grail of diets.

Last edited by Lui on Sun May 20, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am 

Lunch was greek yogurt and two small but unbelievably dense whole grain rolls, an apple and a few small carrots.
We're going out to an Indian place tonight which features an all vegetarian menu.
I'll have to remember to ask whether the food is the same as Indian cavemen ate. Otherwise I'll be fat and have stiff joints and uncontrollable acne when I go to work tomorrow.
Not sure if cavemen made their own alcohol, but they must have eaten pot plants, (until they invented fire), opium plants and cocoa leaves too. So if you're paleo, you can get wasted, and it's o.k.

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:34 am 

counterpuncher wrote:
I'll have to remember to ask whether the food is the same as Indian cavemen ate.

Actually Indian cavemen ate meat. There are cave paintings that reveal their recipes:

- Mammoth Vindaloo
- Saber-tooth tiger Massala
- wild grass chutney
- Buffalo milk Lassi
- Tandoori Do Do Bird
- Rottimg carcass curry

They were really healthy and shredded back then :mozilla_laughing:

Post Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:26 pm 

Quote:
They were really healthy and shredded back then :mozilla_laughing:

Their health and shredded-ness was highest in times of starvation though, when they had to resort to cannibalism, it improved the power of paleo exponentially, some even say the paleo power rose to OVER 9000!!!!!!!

Post Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:45 pm 

I looked at http://www.marksdailyapple.com and he has a "Damage Control Master Formula" supplement in the store section. I wonder why? Maybe it is because the Paleo diet damages your body and in order to counteract that damage you need some of Mark's supplement.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:08 am 

Elizar wrote:
I looked at http://www.marksdailyapple.com and he has a "Damage Control Master Formula" supplement in the store section. I wonder why? Maybe it is because the Paleo diet damages your body and in order to counteract that damage you need some of Mark's supplement.

No. there is very good evidence of paleo man ingesting something similar to cleanse their system as well. unfortunately I can't find the papers to cite, but trust me, this information comes straight from my local zoned paleo expert.

Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:17 am 

Elizar wrote:

Hey, paleo and similar gurus have to make a living too....and they do that by selling shit loads of supplements:
http://primalblueprint.com/categories/S ... pplements/

Wow, speak about pricey.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation