Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: Recovery Drinks after Intense Cardio Workouts ?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 am 

Hello

I am started with intense daily 40min cardio workouts and I really feel tired and sore after each workout.

I have never taken any supplument before. I wanted to know if there are any good Recovery drinks after an intense cardio workout

I searched online and found that endurox r4 was good and then i found something odd and new, that Chocolate Milk was also a good alternative to endorux r4 due to the 4:1 carb/protien ratio.

I found the following article on it :

An Objective Comparison of Chocolate Milk and Surge Recovery | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I wanted to get some input, are there any recent/latest research which shows that Chocolate Milk indeed is a good post workout recovery drink ?

Just purchased Nestle's Nesquick Sweetened Cocoa powder, i could not find unsweetened.

Here are the nutritional values from the back:

• Energy (Kcal) : 369 (average per 100g nesquick) | 158 (Average per serving of 15g nesquick + 200 ml semi skimmed milk)

• Fat (g) : 2.7 (average per 100g nesquick) | 4.4 (Average per serving of 15g nesquick + 200 ml semi skimmed milk)

• Cabohydrates (g) : 80.4 (average per 100g nesquick) | 22 (Average per serving of 15g nesquick + 200 ml semi skimmed milk)[INDENT]of which sugar (g) : 75.3 (average per 100g nesquick) | 11.3 (Average per serving of 15g nesquick + 200 ml semi skimmed milk)[/INDENT]

• Protein (g) : 5.8 (average per 100g nesquick) | 8 (Average per serving of 15g nesquick + 200 ml semi skimmed milk)

Would the above be fine for recovery drink ?

Post subject: Re: Recovery Drinks after Intense Cardio Workouts ?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:05 am 

I'd just recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Standard Whey. There's a reason it's been voted the best protein powder for years running.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MURDR63
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRIGORILLA

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:09 am 

MURDR wrote:
I'd just recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Gold Standard Whey. There's a reason it's been voted the best protein powder for years running.

I dont want to spend money on supplements.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:52 am 

Ibn Saeed wrote:

If you buy bulk unbranded whey protein it works out far cheaper and more effective than dicking about with sugar laden kiddies drinks, milk powder and all of the rest, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:34 am 

Personelly I would stay away from chocolate milk, if anything drink 1% Milk. You would be better off buy a good casein protein for anytime and a good whey isolate for after workouts.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:45 am 

Ibn Saeed wrote:

I think that's laudable, but when you think about it, you'd be using the chocolate milk like a supplement, and the chocolate powder is -- depending on the brand you buy -- highly processed and full of chemicals, no win at all vs whey. I think chocolate milk is a fine post-workout supplement, but when I supplement post-workout, I stick with whey. Stick with non-Chinese-sourced whey proteins (regardless of who wins the popularity contest of best wheys), that don't have any artificial chemicals in it, including artificial sugars/colors/preservatives/etc. That right there puts you way ahead of the game vs chocolate milk, as far as I'm concerned. And you can make your whey shake with berries, maybe throw in some spinach, and have something downright tasty and healthy.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 am 

Alright

I have decided for Chocolate Milk + Dried Dates + Dried Figs for Post Workout Recovery.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 am 

Ibn Saeed wrote:
MURDR wrote:

Protein isn't a supplement...

As for unbranded whey protein being more effective than ON's, I doubt that VERY much. As I said, there is a reason it is considered to be the universal king of Whey protein powders/drinks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MURDR63
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRIGORILLA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:25 am 

Ibn Saeed wrote:
Alright

I have decided for Chocolate Milk + Dried Dates + Dried Figs for Post Workout Recovery.

So the purpose of the thread was to ask a question to which you ignore everyone's answer to...
Goodjob.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:28 am 

Metherlance wrote:
Ibn Saeed wrote:
Alright

So the purpose of the thread was to ask a question to which you ignore everyone's answer to...
Goodjob.

http://www.skepdic.com/backfireeffect.html

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation