Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vitamin D
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:30 am 

I bought Vitamine D for myself today.
I am one of those people that gets nearly no sunlight at all during the day. Maybe when I am driving my car from one place to another. But I am most of the time indoors.

I cut the Multi vitamine out of my arsenal because of the thread 'what supplement do I need'. I got scared.

I do want to keep using Vitamine B. I have ADHD, and especially the B6 seems to work well for me. Thoughts on my 'supplement plan'?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:55 am 

vicenteumanzor wrote:
^ Thanks for replying. So my best bet would be to get my vitamin D levels tested and go from there? I've taken D in the past, not because the Dr told me too or anything, simply becuz I read its one of those good supps to take, like Fish oil. When I was taking it, I was taking in 2,000 IU daily (sort of, there were times I would forget)

If it were me, I'd stay conservative -- say, 500-1000IU daily -- unless I had specific knowledge that my level was low, through testing.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:57 am 

Salto wrote:
vicenteumanzor wrote:
^ Thanks for replying. So my best bet would be to get my vitamin D levels tested and go from there? I've taken D in the past, not because the Dr told me too or anything, simply becuz I read its one of those good supps to take, like Fish oil. When I was taking it, I was taking in 2,000 IU daily (sort of, there were times I would forget)

If it were me, I'd stay conservative -- say, 500-1000IU daily -- unless I had specific knowledge that my level was low, through testing.

Got it. Is it harmful if taken in large doses?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 am 

Salto I've also read that "a large body of science shows vitamin D works closely with calcium and magnesium, it is best to take your vitamin D in combination with calcium and magnesium to maintain a proper balance. "

You seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject, what are your thoughts?
Appreciate yours or anyone's input :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am 

The vikings used to keep cod livers fermenting in barrels. They would know about lack of sunlight. Greenpasture.org has fermented cod liver and skate liver oil. Very high in bio-available vitamin d.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:24 pm 

vicenteumanzor wrote:
Salto I've also read that "a large body of science shows vitamin D works closely with calcium and magnesium, it is best to take your vitamin D in combination with calcium and magnesium to maintain a proper balance. "

You seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject, what are your thoughts?
Appreciate yours or anyone's input :mozilla_smile:

I figure I eat a pretty good diet, and a typical meal will have veggies that are high in calcium & magnesium etc... so I've just been taking my d capsules with one of my meals, and figuring that's good enough. Blood test will tell, I guess, but I think I'm fine there.

I specifically stick with d capsules over cod liver oil...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:51 am 

To OP. Just make sure your d capsules aren't synthetic vitamin d.
Synthetic vitamins are reverses or mirror images of natural vitamins. Keep in mind that synthetic vitamins are not vitamins but synthesized fractions (parts) of a vitamin complex, a mirror image duplicate of just a portion of the real, biologically active and physiological precise nutritional complex. Because the structure is reversed, a left-handed molecule cannot take part in chemical reactions in the body meant for a right-handed molecule any more than a left hand can fit in a right-handed glove - its odd geometry would prevent it from being metabolized in the body. Seeing as how a vitamin d capsule that isn't derived from cod liver or skate liver oil is almost undoubtedly synthetic I would go with cod liver oil.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:25 pm 

Snowlion would you agree that all vitamin D caps are useless then? Im curious as I take Holland and Barrets vit D. Am :confusion-scratchheadblue: I being mugged off big time then?

Also ive just been looking at wikipedia on vitamin D and apparently anything over the upper limit of 250 can cause toxicity?!? Wtf.

Id like to get my tests done but my medical practise is a waste of time.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:05 am 

heh, you're buying all that? You shoudl also look into the fact that many vitamin D researchers believe the very high levels of vitamin a in cod liver oil impairs vitamin D benefits, and recommend vitamin D supplements instead. Alternatively, since vitamin A levels vary drastically between cod liver oils, pick one with a lower level.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:34 am 

There is just so much we dont know that it aint even funny.....it is obvious to me that Vitamin D is very very important.....more specifically BIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE VITAMIN D IS IMPORTANT.....the Question is Does vitamin D supplementation help?

Not as much as people think and in some cases it is harmful....

First of all calling it a vitamin fucks with our heads...vitamins are something that can not be manufactured by the body and MUST be obtained from the diet...so this litle semantic flaw constantly makes us think we must Ingest it...no we do not...our skin makes it from sunlight...and from this source it is biologically available...and by calling it a vitamin we think that supplementation and sunlight are EQual....no they are not..not even close...

i cant get into all the specifics but your body does not use vitamin d from supplements...except it breaks it down to make more vitamin d3....so you could say that supplementation STRETCHES YOUR OWN VITAMIN D STORES FURTHER...however the final vitamin d 3 in your intestine is your unique vitamin d3....

you absolutely have to be exposed to sunlight on some level or you are getting sick...however your body stores it n the liver and when deficient becomes more efficient at making it....so even cave dwellers willmake some when the walk across the parking
ot in the winter while a tropical tanner will stop making it once the levels in the body reached optimal....

stop thinking supplementatioand start thinking sunlight....if your low you need more sunlight....it is that simple.....dont over do it .....15 to 20 minutes on the face and arms ...thats it....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation