Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: Opinions On Milk..?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:25 pm 

I was interested to find out people's opinions on milk...

I've been on a nutrition course for sports performance and the guy was raving about milk (organic, whole milk) mainly due to the vitamins and the type of protein that's in it. We were taught that milk was the ideal pre and post exercise drink.
However, I have spoken to a nutritionist and she doesn't recommend milk at all! She had similar thoughts as this article - http://thepaleodiet.com/archives/3816

Was just wondering what people's thoughts on here were? If they've seen any good articles/research on it etc...

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Opinions On Milk..?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 pm 

I really wouldn't be too concern with what any nutritionist says on the subject.

You should asks a Dietitian what they think instead.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:02 pm 

Uh-Oh. This one has the potential to be a ....

I love milk and will never give it up.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 pm 

I too love the milk. I believe some people can thrive on it while others cannot, it's not for everybody. If you dig milk and have no problem with it, you shouldn't worry about what some nutritionist or whatever other "expert" has to say.

don't be afraid to think for yourself.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:04 am 

i mix nesquick with a pint of milk has a post training meal, im making good gains so will carry on.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 am 

I wouldn't listen much to a nutritionist, they just go by BS daily value standards for skinny, weak, unlifting people.

Milk is fine, as long as you don't go full retard and do GOMAD. Just watch your calories, as milk is packed with them. Honestly, dieticians and nutritionists are retarded for the most part, and they try and oversimplify things. While I wouldn't recommend it, there was a training log on bodybuilding.com Misc where some guys got to under 10% bodyfat by consuming ONLY ice cream and pizza, and their lifts actually increased. As I said, I wouldn't recommend it, but basically, everything dieticians and nutritionists say, you should take with a grain of salt. Weight gain/loss is simply calories consumed versus calories burned. You can get fat as fuck on salad and fruits, and lean as fuck on ice cream and pizza.

I know I kinda rambled off, but my point is, milk isn't bad, don't listen to that "nutritionist".

Me personally, while I don't do GOMAD, I have 1-2 protein shakes a day with milk (usually 1 as a meal replacement, as with the protein scoops, the shake and milk is like 700 calories), and have had no problems.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MURDR63
http://www.youtube.com/user/FRIGORILLA

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:07 am 

My opinion is that I enjoy (very much) drinking large intakes of supermarket milk.

However (and unfortunately), I cannot do so, as it inevitably gives me bad skin and blocked sinuses.

I have found that alternative milk types have posed lesser problems though, albeit at greater expense.

Last edited by david__001 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:30 am 

I like milk, especially with cookies fresh from the oven.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:00 am 

if you can tolerate dairy, then then go for it. i would recommend orgainc dairy products only, and definitely full fat yogurt/cottage cheese and whole milk. in order to see if you actually can tolerate it, eliminate it from your diet for a few weeks, then add it back in. if you are burping/farting like crazy, or having any other issues, then you can't tolerate it.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:19 am 

I can't think of any more convenient way to get all that it has to offer. I don't think it belongs in the food pyramid, especially if it's only purpose there is as a source of calcium. But as a good source of high quality proteins and fat, can't get much better. It's certainly not necessary though, and it's negatives are highly debatable.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation