Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation

Post subject: Why ???
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:20 pm 

Quote:
A radical ‘artificial egg’ backed by Paypal billionaire Peter Thiel and Bill Gates goes on sale in US supermarkets for the first time today.

Made from plants, it can replace eggs in everything from cakes to mayonnaise - without a chicken ever coming close to the production process.

The team today started selling their ‘plant egg’, called Beyond Eggs, in Whole Foods in California - and say it could soon be available in supermarkets worldwide.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z2edd6EQqK
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... Foods.html

Post subject: Re: Why ???
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:52 pm 

That article left me with a lot of questions.

At first I read it and thought we were somehow artificially growing an egg, GMO style. Which scared me cause whole foods is suppose to be one of the big chains against GMO's. But it sounds like this is just a bunch of plants mixed together to replicate an eggs nutrition and consistency in recipes.

It also sounds like the content of these plant eggs are going to be different based on what you want to use them for.

The word powder is the kicker for me, if it is just a bunch of ground up different plants that happen to taste like an egg. Cool stuff, this could be amazing for 3rd world nations as it is generally cheaper to raise crops over animals. If it is a GMO plant powder, I'll pass.

The kicker for me is basically I want to know EXACTLY what is in it. Otherwise I don't plan on touching it.

My Workout Log
My Inspiration

Post Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:12 pm 

Alph wrote:
That article left me with a lot of questions.

At first I read it and thought we were somehow artificially growing an egg, GMO style. Which scared me cause whole foods is suppose to be one of the big chains against GMO's. But it sounds like this is just a bunch of plants mixed together to replicate an eggs nutrition and consistency in recipes.

It also sounds like the content of these plant eggs are going to be different based on what you want to use them for.

The word powder is the kicker for me, if it is just a bunch of ground up different plants that happen to taste like an egg. Cool stuff, this could be amazing for 3rd world nations as it is generally cheaper to raise crops over animals. If it is a GMO plant powder, I'll pass.

The kicker for me is basically I want to know EXACTLY what is in it. Otherwise I don't plan on touching it.

Yeah, the kicker for me is that they don't come from chickens, :mozilla_wink: !

I love my eggs and have recently been getting them fresh from a nearby farm, the chickens dart back and forth across the long dusty road as I approach the farm.....as healthy, organic and free range as you can get and still only $4.50 per dozen......good protein doesn't come any cheaper than that.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:12 am 

It seems like the goal was to replace eggs used in making other items: baked goods, mayo, custards, etc... not replace eggs, per se.

The benefit would be for vegans who want to enjoy things like muffins and mayo without eating something from a chicken.

I think anyone at Whole Foods would agree that if you're going to eat eggs as the final food product, you can't do any better than farm fresh eggs.

I'm intrigued by the product. When I make a pumpkin pie, I use 5 egg yolks and the whites go bad before I have a chance to use them. This is a huge waste of chicken fetus...which is expensive, since I buy the high-end eggs at (you guessed it) Whole Foods.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 am 

Alph wrote:
If it is a GMO plant powder, I'll pass.

Whole Foods doesn't sell any GMO products, as a matter of policy.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Nutrition and Supplementation