Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk

Post subject: Re: Best Final Rounds You Recall
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 pm 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
Jirov - Toney

Chavez - Taylor

Calzaghe - Kessler

I'ld say Calzaghe-Lacy was more epic... by the time Kessler came around the yanks cottoned on to how great he actual was (E.Steward etc fancied him to win)

They all expected Lacy to destroy Calzaghe. It was the brutualist of one-side beatings that completely wrecked Lacy's promsing career and should've been stopped after about round 8. A KO would've been less deverstating than the 12 round constant beating!

Goals for Summer 2012
187lbs
130kg Push Press
110kg Log Press
100kg Farmer's Walk
250kg Deadlift
25 One-Arm Press-ups
10 One-Arm Pull-ups
WIN A STRONGMAN COMPETITION!

MY LOG!!!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64275

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:49 am 

if I had to choose a round from Calzaghe - Lacy it would be either 1 or 2, when Lacy was still fresh and going for the kill early only to be outboxed so completely. By the end it had gotten a bit sad.

The defining moment of that bout for me was actually in between rounds 2 and 3 when Joe went back to the corner and the camera clearly picks him saying to his dad "He's shit."

The Kessler one was cool cos Joe had it in the bag and when Kessler came out swinging he didn't box and move but steamed in and went toe to toe. Totally unnecessary but it showed a lot of respect for Kessler and for the fans.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:54 am 

Leonard vs Hearns I

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:18 am 

That was the 14th round. Can't have that one!

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 am 

True, but that was a great final round of that fight :mozilla_smile:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:32 pm 

Can't allow it. :naughty: :naughty: Hearns is maybe my single favorite fighter and I actually get upset watching that round. The Hagler fight doesn't affect me in anything like the same fashion.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 pm 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
Can't allow it. :naughty: :naughty: Hearns is maybe my single favorite fighter and I actually get upset watching that round. The Hagler fight doesn't affect me in anything like the same fashion.

Ditto right down the line. Hearns is my #1 favorite too, but Tommy came in overtrained and underweight for the Leonard fight. If the match had only been 12 rounds I think he would've won. As it was he was ahead on all three judges' scorecards when the fight was halted. Total credit to Sugar Ray, however, who came on tremendously at the end. What a middleweight era that was!

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:58 pm 

Since I just re-watched the fight tonight on YouTube, I'd like to add De La Hoya - Quartey to the list of contests with a fantastic final round. TBH I've never been the biggest ODLH fan in the world, but I've got to give him great credit for that barrage he somehow summoned from deep within in round 12. There is no doubt that it won him the fight (in the minds of the judges) and reminded me of the flurry that finished off Vargas. Most refs would have jumped in and stopped it. I thought (the tragically late) Mitch Halpern* showed superb judgment in not doing so and letting the boxers last out the round. Anyway, if you haven't seen it in a while, might want to take a look.

* Sadly, Mr. Halpern took his own life at age 33 (the year after the above match).

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk