Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk

Post subject: Mayweather vs. Cotto: Predictions
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 pm 

Hey, gang. We had fun recently posting our predictions for Hopkins vs. Dawson, so I thought we might do the same with Mayweather vs. Cotto. The fight is tonight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

I could be way off, of course, but I'm going to say that Floyd really shines in this one. Yes, I know he's 35 now, so some would argue he's a fraction of a second slower. Nevertheless, he's still far quicker than Miguel, and I just didn't see anything in the 24/7 series from Cotto's camp that showed me a spark. Mayweather's work ethic still did.

Prediction: Stoppage in the 7th. Victory Mayweather.

What do you guys see?

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Post subject: Re: Mayweather vs. Cotto: Predictions
 Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:06 am 

I wouldn't be surprised by the usual Mayweather clinic but I am rooting for Cotto big time, so I can really visualize him putting Floyd away between the 2nd and the 5th.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:10 am 

If Cotto can get a clean hit in, it could turn VERY interesting. Otherwise it'll be the usual Mayweather fight - tighten up the defence and slowly pick Cotto apart.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:23 am 

I think Mayweather will cruise to a UD, however if Cotto was to win it would have to be in the early rounds with a KO/TKO. However, I don't see that happening. I also don't think Mayweather could KO, just because he is too tough and conditioned.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 am 

I think Cotto would have to catch an incredible opportunity, like Mayweather being distracted by a flash bulb, to get a knock out. Short of that Cotto has a few moments here and there, but in the ends it an uneventful evening for which I"m happy not to foot the PPV cost.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:37 am 

Like the 2007 fight, if Mayweather stays away he should win. Cotto can definitely take a beating before it ends.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:28 am 

I saw several clips of cotto training on youtube the othey day. hes looking sharp...sharpest ive seen him for a while...that left hand is looking very strong.
I think its going to be a very good bout....Cotto will make it that way regardless.....the outcome? we all suspect a Mayeather UD with cotto brining flashes of excitement throughout the fight.....I wouldnt be suprised if cotto pulls a few tricks outta the hat though....hes looking sharp...he looks strong...and from video clips of the weigh in extremely confident.
Im looking forward!!

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:16 am 

I messed up. 2001 Mayweather vs. Corrales I had the wrong fighter. Mayweather definitely stayed away from the bigger Corrales. The other fight I saw was 2007 Mosley vs. Cotto where Cotto did a very fine job.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:37 am 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised by the usual Mayweather clinic but I am rooting for Cotto big time, so I can really visualize him putting Floyd away between the 2nd and the 5th.

I'd second that. I'd love to see Cotto win.

At some point in a Boxer's career, once he has status, money and perhaps even a legacy, focus is lost. They begin doing movie cameos, ads and hanging out with their celebrity buddies until the intensity of training dips and they finally trip.

Watching 24/7 I can't help but feel Money has crossed that line. He has false confidence from his bouts with Ortiz and Marquez. Finally he's fighting a long established P4Per at their weight and domain. Cotto's the best Mayweather has ever faced.

So while I believe Mayweather will W, I believe Cotto has the potential to cause an upset here. At least that's what I'm praying for ...

Ray Leonard v. Duran I anyone? Difference is, Sugar chose to stand his ground while Money's too old to dance.

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:03 pm 

Mayweather UD

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk