Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk

Post subject: Major Boxing Decisions You Disagreed With
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:19 pm 

I thought this might be a fun topic (tell me if I'm getting annoying).

RT boxing fans, from all the major bouts you've seen over the years, can you recall any where you disagreed vehemently with the judges' decision?

List them below and tell us why! Feel free to debate. :angry-argument:

(I have a few too, but am going to hang back for a bit before posting up.)

Here's hoping folks will weigh in on this one ... cheers.

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Last edited by Hop on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Major Boxing Decisions You Disagreed With
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:16 pm 

Khan v Barrera - 5th round TKO due to a cut Barrera received in round 1. The cut did not worsen between rounds 1 and 5, but obviously a stoppage in round 1 means Khan doesn't get the win awarded. It was a terrible decision - if the cut was stoppage worthy then it should have been called in round 1. A blemish on Barrera's record.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:36 am 

Pac-Man vs JMM III... JMM out boxed and out classed Pac-Man through out the fight.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:12 am 

Yory Boy Campos defo beat John Duddy.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:41 am 

Chavez vs Taylor
Great fight but the ref should have given Taylor an 8 count. If he did Taylor would have won the fight.

Malliaggi vs. Diaz 1
I like Diaz but he clearly lost that fight. Pure home town decision.

One of the reasons that I think that the judges need to be made up of retired boxers and trainers. They know what to look for and know how to judge a fight rather than some duffus that has a connection to the promoter.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 am 

I disagree on the Chavez v Taylor decision. If the fighter renders the other fighter incapable of continuing the ref has the obligation to stop the fight because the first fighter has fulfilled the requirements of winning the match and more importantly the second fighter's health is at risk if the ref lets the round go 'live' again, regardless of the time on the clock.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 am 

I absolutly agree with you but Taylor got up and was able to continue. I haven't seen the fight in a long time so I could be wrong. I didn't get the feeling that he wasn't able to continue like I did with Castillo in the Corales fight. That was a good stop. In fact I think Tony Weeks is one of the best refs in the game.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:29 am 

I actually watched the fight again just out of interest and a couple of things jumped out at me:

Steele actually gives Taylor a 9 count. He gets up at about 7 but the count continues to 9.

Steele looks him in the eyes and asks 'Are you alright?' Taylor is unable to meet his eyes and does not answer.

As far as I'm concerned that's a legit TKO.

Watch the video from 52.59 and you get a replay of the knock down and the count:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 am 

Vic C wrote:
Chavez vs Taylor
... the ref should have given Taylor an 8 count. If he did Taylor would have won the fight.

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
I disagree on the Chavez v Taylor decision. If the fighter renders the other fighter incapable of continuing the ref has the obligation to stop the fight ...

It was a VERY hard call, I think. On one hand, it's hard to fault Richard Steele for truly trying to protect Taylor, who was virtually a dead man standing. On the other hand, if MT made even the slightest response to Steele (I couldn't really tell), I think he should've been given the opportunity to last the final couple ticks of the clock and claim his great victory. LIke I said, excruciatingly difficult. One lesson to fighters, though, is that they must make a clear response to the ref's questions -- lest their chance for victory be taken away.

Oh, I see BT has put up the clip. I'll watch it again.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:39 am 

Ok, just watched the ending again. Agonizing as it is, here's my view: I think Steele should've let Meldrick continue. I think there's a very, very slight nod of acknowledgment by Taylor to Steele at about :06 (boxing clock, not YT clip's). Also, I've seen fighters deader than Taylor was last out rounds before. The time was virtually run out. Terribly hard call, but I guess I'm with Vic on this one.

[BTW, the sound was all weird on that clip for me. But thanks for posting.]

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk