Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk

Post subject: Hypothetical Fight: Leonard vs. Pryor
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 pm 

Just trying to stir up a little activity on the forum here ...

Sugar Ray Leonard was one of the most skilled boxers ever. Aaron Pryor was the epitome of a wild man warrior. Unfortunately for boxing fans, they never met in the ring. The best chance for it happening would've been around '82 or '83. So ...

Q: In your opinion, if Ray Leonard and Aaron Pryor had fought, how would it have gone down?

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Post subject: Re: Hypothetical Fight: Leonard vs. Pryor
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:12 am 

Is anyone on here even old enough to know who I'm talking about?! :mozilla_oops:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 am 
All I can say is FUCK YEAH!!!!

That would be one hell of a fight. I love Pryor. He was much more skilled than most people give him credit for. Her beat Hearns when they were both amateurs. A truly awesome fighter feared by everyone. No one wanted to fight him.

I think Pryor would have been really up for this fight. He hated Leonard as Leonard got the gold medal he probably would have got had he not been kicked off the Olympic team. He also resented Leonard's success and hated that everyone tried to avoid him.

I'm going out on a limb here and picking Pryor. I think it would have been very similar to Hagler Hearnes. Leonard always found a way to win though. He bluffed an overweight Duran into a quick return for their rematch and Duran was weakened by the quick weight loss. Leonard always seemed to have a plan. That being said I think Pryor would be an unstoppable force in this fight.

To me this is a dream fantasy fight.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:16 am 

SRL beat Hearns, Hagler and Duran. He beats Pryor too.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:58 am 
Not as simple as that Brooklyn. :naughty:

Duran won one and lost one against Leonard. It was the rematch where Leonard knew that Duran had trouble with weight and would balloon straight after a fight. He waited for him to balloon and then challenged him to a quick rematch knowing he would be weak with such a quick weight loss. Duran then couldn't continue in the fight, not because he was beaten, but because he was exhausted. When they fought again nine years later Duran was a spent force after losses to Benitez, Hearns, Hagler and two others. So it's fair to say the jury is out on Duran v Leonard when Duran was in his prime.

Also, when Hearns lost to Leonard in the 14th, Hearns was winning the fight. It was a late TKO for which Leonard deserves full credit, but there was very little between the fighters. Their rematch was a draw.

Also, the win over Hagler was a split decision and it was in the twilight of Hagler's career (his last fight). There was nothing between the fighters.

So taking the contrary view, Leonard drew with Hearns, lost to Duran and could only manage a SD with Hagler. Pryor beat Hearns as an amateur, Hearns destroyed Duran, Duran beat SRL so Pryor wins. :mozilla_cool:

Man those were the days. A single division with Benitez, Hagler, Hearns, Duran and Pryor. The greatest era of boxing!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 pm 

Love to watch Pryor fights. A very fan-friendly style.

With that being said, Leonard was bigger, faster, and better. Leonard would have won. In fact, Leonard offered Pryor a fight in the early 80's but Pryor turned it down. I guess he knew too.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 pm 

It seems Pryor had the opportunity to fight Roberto Duran also, but turned it down, too.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:00 pm 

I don't like Sugar Ray that much as a fighter, I'm not of the opinion that he was all that. I think he fought like a punk against Hagler and he beat my favorite all time fighter which is of course Hearns (although he beat him fair and square, I have to admit). Having said that he had wonderful skills and great ring generalship. I think he'd have too much for Pryor.

BTW, I didn't know about the weight drain thing with Duran. I read a recent interview with him where he said that his brother suggested that he would frustrate Duran if he taunted him and that's what he went in there to do.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:11 pm 
Leonard is a good pick against Pryor. But I'm going with my gut and with Pryor. That hatred of Leonard, brutish power and insane work rate would take a lot of Leonards skill away.

Quote:
BTW, I didn't know about the weight drain thing with Duran. I read a recent interview with him where he said that his brother suggested that he would frustrate Duran if he taunted him and that's what he went in there to do.

I can't quote the source but I saw an interview with SRL after the second Duran fight. In essence SRL said that to beat Duran he had to catch him off guard. He knew Duran led a party lifestyle after fights and stacked on the weight. He deliberately waited until he ballooned in weight and then pulled out his rematch clause with a very short notice fight. Duran had to kill himself to make weight and the famous 'no more' incident occurred when Duran was too weak to continue.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:28 pm 

Appreciate you chiming in, fellas. Some good points made. Some I didn't agree with.

I think it could've been a great one.

Don't forget that Pryor was not only a relentless offensive aggressor, but also had a rock chin. Next time you watch his second fight with Arguello (I loved it even more than the first), note how many solid shots to the jaw AP shakes off before finally demolishing AA. It would have taken a huge quantity of Leonard's pat-a-cake to faze him. I certainly see Pryor going the distance. The question is, would Leonard?

To that point, like many boxing greats (e.g. Mayweather in the present day, Hopkins in the recent past) Leonard was superb at not getting cleanly hit. Landing against straightforward Arguello is one thing, catching up to Sugar Ray is quite another (ask Marvin Hagler). Ray was a very smart fighter, and would never have dreamed of brawling with The Hawk. With his superlative quickness he would've scored his pokes and the occasional flurry (then gotten away).

Now if somehow Pryor lands a full-on monster shot and wobbles Ray, you'd best believe that shark is gonna smell blood in the water! The swarm would be on and it could be over. But that's "if" ...

One last thing: Remember how Sugar Ray's 'showmanship' swayed not only fans, but judges (IMO).

Bottom line: We're all just having fun with this mythical match-up, of course, and none of us really "knows" what would've happened. But to throw my speculation in with the others in this thread I'm going to say a wily, super-talented Ray Leonard outpoints a fearless, stalking Aaron Pryor in a fight that goes the distance -- unanimous decision.

And I wish the fight had happened.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk