Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is US Boxing At An All Time Low?
Yes 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Yes 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 8

Post subject: Re: The Olympic Boxing Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 am 

Philo Beddoe wrote:
I saw a referee afraid to deduct point against a British fighter (Evans) for repeatedly committing the same foul against his Canadian opponent (Clayton). Another bad decision.

Why would he be afraid? Perhaps he's just not big on issuing warnings. Refs seem to come in all shapes and sizes, some of them hand out warnings like cookies, some don't.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:29 am 

I dont know what happened too fred evans in that third round.
He might have lost a point or two for switching off in the second , but his coach ranting in the corner didnt do him any favours, he seemed too loose composure, he then came out in the third round looking a little desperate and got very sloppy in my opinion.....He was doing great in the first two keeping balance picking off the canadian.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:51 pm 

Metherlance wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:
I saw a referee afraid to deduct point against a British fighter (Evans) for repeatedly committing the same foul against his Canadian opponent (Clayton). Another bad decision.

Why would he be afraid? Perhaps he's just not big on issuing warnings. Refs seem to come in all shapes and sizes, some of them hand out warnings like cookies, some don't.

He warned him three times for the same infraction (pushing opponents head down). By the rules, that should be an automatic point deduction. Plus, I didn't really see seven scoring blows landed by Evans in round one, but I know enough about judged sports in the Olympics to expect that the better athlete doesn't always get rewarded. The fight wasn't a highway robbery like was done to the French fighter in the previous bout, but it wasn't the right call, imo.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 pm 

Philo Beddoe wrote:
The more things change....

Another bad decision. What else is new?

Word. (Truth be told I still haven't recovered from the Pacquiao-Bradley debacle.) :snooty:

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm 

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Metherlance wrote:
Philo Beddoe wrote:

He warned him three times for the same infraction (pushing opponents head down). By the rules, that should be an automatic point deduction. Plus, I didn't really see seven scoring blows landed by Evans in round one, but I know enough about judged sports in the Olympics to expect that the better athlete doesn't always get rewarded. The fight wasn't a highway robbery like was done to the French fighter in the previous bout, but it wasn't the right call, imo.

But you're Canadian, of course you wouldn't think it the right call :D
As for the 3 warning thing, I don't think ANY ref strictly adheres to it or even if it's actually a rule. I've yet to see anyone get a public warning for pushing heads down and it's the most common infraction by far. Warnings seem to come from the more serious infractions like hitting after the break, repeated low blows, pushing the head up with the forearm.. Every clinch seems to end in one of the boxers heads being held down or caught in a headlock -- never seen an infraction from it.

I'll be honest though, I gave the bout to Clayton too - but I could see how it went the other way, as you said it wasn't robbery - just a close fight that ended in Evans favour.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:41 am 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:

Is anyone else loving Teddy's commentary? So many of the announcers are such idiots. He calls it like he sees it, he knows the game of boxing, he's passionate and he has a wonderfully eccentric of phrase. I'm beginning to see him as the American Ron Atkinson.

There was one moment in the gymnastics when two girls were giving each other a pep talk which you could see very clearly but there were no mics to record it. The stupid announcer started like, 'talking' for the girls, going "You can do this. Listen to me. You can be the best. Yes. Yes I can. I can do this for my country." in this absurd Ron Burgundy voice.... it was unintentionally hilarious and extremely creepy. You won't catch Teddy doing that for some hooligan boxer and his toothless grizzled trainer when they're in the corner, thank fuck.

I'm sorry I missed this first time round. Brooklyn, you're a wit. :mozilla_cool:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:18 am 

Ok, so the Rule Britannia train has picked up a Gold, while Joshua and Ogogo are among 4 others guaranteed medals. This caps our most successful Olympic outing ever.

Meanwhile, following Errol Spence's shut-out this is USA's men's worst team performance ever. Perhaps the American's should ease up on their immigration policy and let some Cuban's in.

Let's be honest, they're fucking hopeless right now.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:41 am 

The US team has been sliding for quite a few Games now. Hopefully this is rock bottom, because honestly, I don't see how it could get any worse. I truly believe with the lack of boxing popularity over here, all our great athletes are in other sports.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:59 am 

Clutch wrote:
The US team has been sliding for quite a few Games now. Hopefully this is rock bottom, because honestly, I don't see how it could get any worse. I truly believe with the lack of boxing popularity over here, all our great athletes are in other sports.

That's true, at least in the HW's. If you're an athletically gifted male standing at 6.4+, Boxing wouldn't be your sport of choice. I'm not celebrating by the way. I think the USA's slide is bad for Boxing.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:34 am 

Brazen wrote:
Perhaps the American's should ease up on their immigration policy ...

"Ease up?" Is this possible? 8-12 million* illegals currently here, with an estimated 700,000* new arrivals every year. :confusion-questionmarks:

* Dept. of Homeland Security estimated figures. It is widely believed they are low.

“Let not the strong man boast of his strength.” – Jeremiah 9:23

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Boxing Talk