Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Help me decide on a .45
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:30 pm 

ato wrote:
Skinsfan28 wrote:

Any thoughts on the Berreta M9?

The PX4 looks sexier to me.

Are .45 cal revolvers off the list? Since you're talking range gun, capacity isn't an issue. S&W 625 and Thunder Ranch 325 look pretty cool.

Px4 is what I meant. So many guns and model#'S rolling around in my head. I like revolvers, but I'm just looking at semi-autos right now. I'd love to find a slightly used Colt Python in Royal blue with a 4" barrel. The first pistol I bought was a Colt King Cobra .357 w/6" barrel. I wanted the Python but didn't have $900 at the time. That's a steal now. I nice example goes for $2000 or more. Beatiful gun though and shoots like an extension of your hand. My King Cobra shoots well too though and I hopefully never have to part with it. I gave $350 for it brand new, man how prices have changed.

"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:49 am 

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p220-elite-dark.aspx

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/raptor-ii/raptor-ii

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/gold-match-ii/gold-match-ii

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/tactical-ii/tactical-entry-ii

These are my top choices right now I think. I'm going to run over to a shop tomorrow that carries Kimber,Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, Colt, Ruger, Springfield, S&W. Pretty much all the top manufacturers so I can see what feels good in my hands. Who knows I may find something not even on my radar.

"Don’t let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."
- Earl Nightingale

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:12 am 

Looks alone I would go with this one.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/tacti ... l-entry-ii

Take a pic after you buy and before you shoot. You want a pic when it's factory clean.

Guys don't get results by accident. If you gained a lot of strength and a lot of size, then you're doing something right. You might not know exactly what or why it works but it does. And discrediting those who get results because they don't know as much about training theory as you do is dumb.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:24 am 

No doubt. If I was basing my decision on looks alone it wouldn't even be a question, 1911 all day long. I think that's the best looking hand gun design ever. They just seem to be much more finicky than modern designed guns. From the reviews from forum boards it just seems like there is more issues with feeding failures, break down is more difficult, etc. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin on a pistol it needs to be hassle free and shoot well right out of the box. It should be a precision match grade level gun with a crisp even trigger pull with a consistent crisp break. Basically I want a gun that will eat everything I feed it and group above my skill level. Which really isn't that hard in fact I'd say a $600 Glock fits that bill. Which is another thing bouncing around in my head. Is a $1200 Sig really twice the gun than a Glock or Springfield XD? If it is I don't have a problem with spending the money as I've always wanted to own a top level semi-custom gun., but when I could buy a new Glock .45 and a new 9mm for the price of one Sig, it makes me question my choices.

- Earl Nightingale

Post Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:43 pm 

IMO, it's either Glock/M&P if you just want a functional .45.

If you want something nice, Dan Wesson. Great 1911's at a reasonable(ish) price. Don't know anyone who has one who's sorry.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:28 am 

Yeah, personal opinion is that Glock, Sig, etc... is what I'd carry myself concealed. If I could carry openly or in the line of duty and wanted a .45, I'd prefer a Para-Ord double stack. Those are...seriously sweet.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:23 pm 

I own several pistols and have fired many more, including most of the models mentioned in your list. My nightstand pistol is a Kimber and I love it dearly but if I was in the market for just one .45 and the upper echelons weren't an option (Nighthawk, Wilson tactical, Les Bear, etc...) then I'd go with the Sig Sauer P220 combat. Lots of good options out there but If it were my money, I'd go Sig first and never look back.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:14 am 

Great points and I feel ya on many things you say. I had many guns, and I mean many guns and got rid of them for one reason or another. For instance, the Ruger Mark III is a bitch to put together after stripping it down and that only cost a little over $300 and got rid of it due to hassle. Then my Beretta 92F 9mm that I absolutely loved BUT jammed like a ....well you get the idea. So in the end I went with the Glock 9mm due to the simple fact they are the most reliable guns out there. Drop that thing in sand, water, you name it and it fires every single time.

Keep in mind I was this close to buying a Springfield XD. While I am an American my heritage is Croatian and I was going to get it to represent. But just too many things to deal with: safety, parts sticking out, etc. and too new to know if you will have feed problems. While Glocks are far from the prettiest guns, I can guarantee to you that you can feed it the crappiest ammo and as long as you lube and clean her from time to time she will fire every single time. So with that said, go with the Glock! Get yourself a 45 and a 9mm version. Hell get compact version toos. With your spending range you can get at least 2 Glocks for the price of one 1911.

Skinsfan28 wrote:
No doubt. If I was basing my decision on looks alone it wouldn't even be a question, 1911 all day long. I think that's the best looking hand gun design ever. They just seem to be much more finicky than modern designed guns. From the reviews from forum boards it just seems like there is more issues with feeding failures, break down is more difficult, etc. If I'm going to drop that kind of coin on a pistol it needs to be hassle free and shoot well right out of the box. It should be a precision match grade level gun with a crisp even trigger pull with a consistent crisp break. Basically I want a gun that will eat everything I feed it and group above my skill level. Which really isn't that hard in fact I'd say a $600 Glock fits that bill. Which is another thing bouncing around in my head. Is a $1200 Sig really twice the gun than a Glock or Springfield XD? If it is I don't have a problem with spending the money as I've always wanted to own a top level semi-custom gun., but when I could buy a new Glock .45 and a new 9mm for the price of one Sig, it makes me question my choices.

Guys don't get results by accident. If you gained a lot of strength and a lot of size, then you're doing something right. You might not know exactly what or why it works but it does. And discrediting those who get results because they don't know as much about training theory as you do is dumb.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 am 

I like my glock and I've owned a few including the 21 which is the full size .45. My current is the 23 .40 and it's a nice gun but I don't like the trigger break on it very well and thought about moving up to something with a more refined trigger. I sold the 21 because it just didn't fit my hand real well and I sold my 1911 because of feeding issues. I've been looking for a new .45 to replace the others but had put it on the back burner. However, I just attended a two day pistol class and it has me amped up to get back to my shooting. It's actually the first of three two day classes in the series each one building off the last. The instructors weren't real fond of the .40 caliber round, and their arguement made sense. They felt you were better off with the less recoil and higher velocity of the 9mm or with pretty much the same recoil and the greater stopping power of the .45. They weren't putting it down really, just arguing the whole reason for the .40 was a compromise between the two and it kind of fell short of both in their opinion. I just love guns and will take any excuse to get a new one. Guns, knives, flashlight, and boots/shoes are my weakness.

As a side note: Taking a profesional shooting class with qualified instructors is money well spent. I learned more in two days than 10 years of shooting. In all honesty I've never been real good with the pistol. I hit center mass consitantly, but no real accuracy or ability to group shots. After a couple days of teaching I was grouping pretty well and more importantly when didn't I knew why and how to correct it. I went out Sunday and I feel like I'm practicing now not just putting holes in paper. The first class was just basic fundamental of marksmanship , clearing jams, and reloading. The next two classes are the fun stuff. Moving and shooting, shooting from cover, and they even do some shooting from a vehicle. Not drive by, but getting out of a vehicle while taking fire and transitioning to returning fire. All three instructors are ex military and current LEO's one guy was a sniper and operator in the CIA. The know their stuff, but more importantly, they have the ability to teach it.

- Earl Nightingale

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:35 pm 

Quote:
My current is the 23 .40 and it's a nice gun but I don't like the trigger break on it very well and thought about moving up to something with a more refined trigger.

Here's an idea, and it won't cost too much: get an M&P .45, and drop in the Apex tactical sear for $40. End up with better ergonomics and better trigger than Glock without having to spend the big cash on a 1911 or its reliability issues.

Your course sounds great.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » Weapons and Tactics