Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Current Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Obama 2012
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:56 pm 

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please. Lets be honest here, you would have found cause to mock/ridicule/bitch about anyone short of Michael Moore as Romney's VP choice.

- Eddard Stark

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:02 am 

And for an interesting retort to what a "disaster" Romney's overseas trip was (disaster according to BT), here is Krauthammer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html

Quote:
At the outset of his recent foreign trip, Mitt Romney committed a gaffe. In answer to a question about the Olympics, he expressed skepticism about London’s preparations. The response confounded and exasperated Romney supporters because it was such an unforced error. The question invited a simple paean to Olympic spirit and British grit, not the critical analysis of a former Olympic organizer.

Soon that initial stumble was transmuted into a metaphor for everything that followed. The mainstream media decided with near-unanimity that the rest of the trip amounted to a gaffe-prone disaster.
Really? The Warsaw leg was a triumph. Romney’s speech warmly embraced Poland’s post-communist experiment as a stirring example of a nation committed to limited government at home and a close alliance with America abroad, even unto such godforsaken war zones as Afghanistan and Iraq, at great cost to itself and with little thanks.

Especially little from the Obama administration, which unilaterally canceled a Bush(43)-era missile-defense agreement with Poland to appease Russia. Without any overt criticism of the current president, Romney set out a foreign policy of radically greater appreciation of and fidelity to American allies.

Yet all we hear about Warsaw is the “gaffe”: two phrases uttered by an aide, both best described as microscopically rude. At the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, a pack of reporters hurled questions of such journalistic sophistication as, “What about your gaffes?” To which Rick Gorka suggested that the reporters kiss his posterior, a rather charming invitation that would have made a superb photo op.

The other offense against human decency was Gorka’s correlative directive to “shove it.”

The horror! On the eve of the 2004 Democratic Convention, Teresa Heinz Kerry offered precisely that anatomically risky suggestion to an insistent Pittsburgh journalist. Not only did she later express no regret, but Hillary Clinton reacted with: “Good for you, you go girl.”

So where’s the Romney gaffe? Is what’s good for the Heinz not good for the Gorka?

And at his previous stop, Jerusalem, Romney’s speech was a masterpiece of nuance and restraint. Without directly criticizing Obama, Romney drew pointed distinctions deftly expressed in the code words and curlicued diction of Middle East diplomacy.

He declared flatly that Jerusalem is Israel’s capital. The official Obama position is that Israel’s capital is to be determined in negotiations with the Palestinians. On Iran, Romney asserted that Israel has the right to defend itself. Obama says this as boilerplate. Romney made clear he means it — that if Israel has to attack, the United States won’t flash the red light before nor punish Israel afterward.

What about the alleged gaffe that dominated reporting from Israel? Romney averred that Israeli and Palestinian economic development might be related to culture. A Palestinian Authority spokesman obligingly jumped forth to accuse Romney of racism, among other thought crimes.

The American media bought it whole, despite the fact that Romney’s assertion was a direct echo of the United Nations’ Arab Human Development Report, written by Arab intellectuals and commissioned by the U.N. It unambiguously asserted that “culture and values are the soul of development.” And went on to report how existing cultural norms — “including traditional Arab culture and values” — are among the major impediments to Arab economic progress.

The report deplores the rampant corruption, repressive governance and lack of women’s (and human) rights as major contributors to backwardness in the Arab world. (In the Palestinian case, it faults Israeli “occupation,” but a U.N. document that doesn’t blame Israel for every Palestinian sorrow, if not the world’s, has yet to be written. Moreover, that excuse doesn’t work for today’s occupation-free, Palestinian-run Gaza.)

Is there any question about Romney’s assertion? PLO/P.A. corruption is legend. Palestinians are repelled by it. Why do you think, when finally given the chance, they voted against the P.A. in 2006?

Romney’s point about “culture” was to highlight the improbable emergence of Israel from resourceless semi-desert to First World “start-up nation,” a tribute to its freedom and openness, just as free-market Chile stands out from state-dominated Ecuador.

Look at how Romney was received. In Israel, its popular prime minister lavished on him a welcome so warm as to be a near-endorsement. In Poland, Romney received an actual endorsement from Lech Walesa, former dissident, former president, Cold War giant, Polish hero.

Two staunch U.S. allies salute a man they would like to see lead the free world. Yet the headlines were “shove it” and “culture.”

Scorecard? Romney’s trip was a major substantive success: one gaffe (Britain), two triumphs (Israel and Poland) and a fine demonstration of foreign-policy fluency and command — wrapped, however, in a media narrative of surpassing triviality.

- Eddard Stark

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:31 am 

That's a fairly tortous explanation of why this political neophyte couldn't just show up and smile and say nice things. He made a cunt of himself in front of the whole world, which is now watching what you do in light of that.

I dunno if I agree on the VP thing jf, look, I am always going to be opposed to Romney cos I dislike his policy positions (at the current time, who knows what they'll be tomorrow?) but just in terms of his strategy for actually winning the race I have to say I think this is a terrible error and a sign of weakness.

Two things as far as I can see;

He's still trying to shore up his base in August. Time's a tickin'! He should have done that by now.

He's basically sending a message that he is in hoc to the very right wing of his party. Romney is essentially the running mate now. The candidate will be running on his vice president’s ideas! They should send Ryan out to debate Obama and have Mitt debate Biden.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:25 am 

BT what is it about Paul Ryan you dont like? Could it be his grasp of economics and his ability to see through the false numbers and charade that Obama puts up in regards to things like the actual cost of his health care bill? Does he scare you because he appeals to a solid right wing base as well as moderates? Does he make you nervous because if given the chance in a debate he will eviscerate Ole Joe Biden much as he did Barack Obama at the bipartisan healtcare summit in 2010? Or is it because Ryan is a big proponent of P90x?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:31 am 

It's more the tax cuts for the super rich and eviscerating medicare, if I think about it. maybe also the fact that he's the most conservative Republican vice presidential nominee since at least 1900 and is more conservative than any democrat nominee was liberal, making him the most ideologically extreme VP nominee for over a 100 years. That his voting record is roughly equivalent with the lunatic clown Michelle Bachman might also have something to do with it.

Yeah, those about cover why he doesn't appeal, just off the top of my head.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:54 am 

When are we going to hear a little Solomon story? I imagine you have had some long nights, all well spent though sir.

No I think the real reason the left on here and in media are saying Ryan is a bad choice is because he will bring out Tea Party and other disaffected members of the right in droves. That and he can speak for long periods off the top of his head without a teleprompter and doesnt get angry when confronted like say President Obama does. July 27 I think I read somewhere is the last time President Obama has been asked a serious question by members of the media.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:08 am 

I dunno where to begin with Solomon! He's brilliant. Thank God he's had a good bill of health from the docs, he's surly and sleeps a lot and then wakes up and pisses on the wall or shits in my face. IN MY FACE, Finn. Seriously, I was changing him yesterday and I kind of hoiked up his ass to see if he had any stray crumbs of shite under his ball sack and he just ripped frothy diarrhea right there and then with a "How you like me now?" kind of expression.

I just felt so proud at that moment.

One thing I agree with you on is that Ryan is very, very clever and not to be underestimated. He's a Republican who actually bothered to learn policy instead of ranting about homosexuals which is why he's instantly near the top.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:21 am 

^^^Good to hear about things going well with the little one. Thats what this is all about, the politics stuff is just for fun. Its fun to hear and read folks on here when things are going well. Maybe little Sol is burgeoning republican and is trying to tell his Dad this is what he thinks the president is doing to our country? :mozilla_wink: Glad all is well.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:53 am 

Cheers mate!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:06 pm 

I think that Paul Ryan is a freaking BOLD choice, and it will do a lot to invigorate the OP base. Ryan is frank, honest, and really incredibly sharp. The vp debates are going to certainly be interesting with such a heavy policy wonk. However, Ryan's budget proposals and policy suggestions, while sweeping and thorough, will likely create a little bit of problems in terms of gaining voters. It is established fact that old people are the biggest and most consistent voting block. Therefore, you appease them most. What do old people love more than anything else? The most popular government program in American history, Medicare. So.... You don't mess with Medicare if you want to win. However, Ryan's policies have basically called for turning Medicare into .... Well, the simplest way to say this is that he'd change Medicare into Obamacare. It also changes Romney's campaign of remaining largely vague, because Paul Ryan is a VERY specific guy in terms of policy. Hell, everything he believes and wants to do is reflected in his legislative record. Romney will now have to either agree with or disagree with Ryan's policy history, which will force him to become very specific himself. Lastly, the oft-stated but nonetheless incorrect attack that Obama has never spent a day in the private sector will have to go out the window, because Ryan actually never has.

However, it is a bold choice and while I do not agree with Ryan's policies, I respect the hell out of his abilities and intelligence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 131  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Current Events