Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Current Events

Post subject: Can Artificial Sweeteners Cause Brain Damage?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:19 am 

I kid you not! go to this web page and read this. Ok they talk about meditation but i'm not interested in that. The thing i'm talking about is the idea that the person writing this is basically saying for definite that ingesting artificial sweeteners causes long term brain damage :mozilla_surprised:

Do you guys think there's anything to this? or is it just alarmist? I hate to think that i'm ingesting something that could be harming me long term :think:

http://universallyaware.ning.com/forum/topics/meditation-technique-repairs-the-brain-processes-that-aspartame-d

Post subject: Re: Can Artificial Sweeteners Cause Brain Damage?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:40 am 

I bet they are safe if you use them in a suppository.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:47 am 
The very word ARTIFICIAL should tell you the whole story without any scientific studies! Would you want anything artificial in your body?

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 am 

lightweights wrote:

^^ ~LOL~

russianassassin01 wrote:
The very word ARTIFICIAL should tell you the whole story without any scientific studies! Would you want anything artificial in your body?

Well if people are saying these things can cause that why are they allowed to be sold? i mean if there's even the slightest doubt about the health implications of it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:44 pm 

I used to be anti everything artificial, but what is artificial really? If it is everything man made that couldn't possibly have occurred naturally, then nearly everything about modern life is artificial. This has it's pros and cons, but it's not changing whether we like it or not.

As far as artificial sweeteners go, neither side of the debate is a clear winner. Maybe they cause brain damage, maybe they cause cancer, maybe they don't. But if you want to judge it strictly on the basis of pros vs. cons, then the negatives vastly outweigh the positives for the simple reason that there are no positives, and therefore even a possible negative tips the scale. But non-artificial sweeteners are also devastating towards your health if you consume too much, and exactly how much is "too much" is highly debatable as well. So if ultimately what we're getting at is whether or not someone should consume sweeteners, artificial or not, then the question we need to ask ourselves is how much value do we place on our addiction to things that taste sweet, and is that value enough to be worth the risks, proven and/or potential?

If you completely give up all sweets and don't miss them, you can only benefit. Any other choice, and you're taking a risk. But risk is what life is all about, so to every man his own. I personally don't consume artificial sweeteners, and only rarely consume non-artificial sweeteners. If I tried to rationalize this distinction in a debate, my rationality would ultimately be shown to have flaws. So I don't bother, I just do what my intuition tells me to do and don't give others too much shit if they decide to do something different :)

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 pm 

Good points linguist. For me the alarming thing though is that there are people out there making these claims as if they're 100% true and have been verified. But have they? On that web page they are talking like it's a given that this is happening to people right now. The drinks manufacturers who use these sweeteners would certainly dispute it i would think. :think:

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm 

Yeah I think it's all kind of a silly debate in the first place. Not that I don't think they should do whatever research they realistically can, but in the end the conclusion is gonna be the same. Avoid sweets or consume them in moderation, artificial or otherwise. It's not like the opposite is gonna happen, and they're gonna suddenly find out that either sugar or aspartame cures cancer.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 pm 

lightweights wrote:

I'm still waiting to be sued... go on do it... go on...

Ohhh have you realised you can't actually sue someone for calling you a troll? Dickhead

Goals for Summer 2012
187lbs
130kg Push Press
110kg Log Press
100kg Farmer's Walk
250kg Deadlift
25 One-Arm Press-ups
10 One-Arm Pull-ups
WIN A STRONGMAN COMPETITION!

MY LOG!!!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64275

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:26 pm 

dctopboots01 wrote:
lightweights wrote:

Ohhh have you realised you can't actually sue someone for calling you a troll? Dickhead

Legal matters take time. Just you wait, your court summons is on its way. I will also print this insult as part of my case.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:04 am 

lightweights wrote:
dctopboots01 wrote:
lightweights wrote:

Legal matters take time. Just you wait, your court summons is on its way. I will also print this insult as part of my case.

Court summons? You gonna pay for my flight? Will be a nice little break. By the way - 0US law doesn't apply for me in civil matters... plus you can't actual sue over here for insults. You'd have to apply for an international court exemption. Takes roughly 9-12 months... good luck with that... here's a few more for you to print off
-dickhead
-wanker
-knobhead
-tosser
-spanner

Goals for Summer 2012
187lbs
130kg Push Press
110kg Log Press
100kg Farmer's Walk
250kg Deadlift
25 One-Arm Press-ups