Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Sports Talk

Post subject: Re: 6 Nations 2012
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:34 am 

Yeah, I didn't quite understand the decision to end the game by the ref.... I often have these little moments of mystery to be honest. I just put it down to the constant rules tinkering by the IRB. Here's an example: when I was playing if you took the ball into a maul, the team going forward got the put in at the scrum. They then changed it to the team who didn't take it in got the scrum, which completely changes the risk/reward of playing as mauling game. As a small, fast open side it suited me down to the ground but it was a pretty fundamental change. So on and so forth, there's loads of little rules I don't get now or at least I'm just not following the current configuration.

So I'm not even an educated fan these days, just partisan idiot who likes seeing the English get smashed. I also just like the athleticism and the utterly insane degree of organization sides play with these days. And multi role players who aren't wing/fullbacks or flanker/No. 8. Joost Van Der Westhuizen was just about the biggest, toughest scrum half I'd ever seen until I saw Mike Phillips!

Here's something: at one point Ha'pence tapped the ball deliberately into touch, with an English wing breathing down his neck chasing a kick... didn't that used to be a penalty??

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:54 am 

Brooklyn_teacher wrote:
Here's something: at one point Ha'pence tapped the ball deliberately into touch, with an English wing breathing down his neck chasing a kick... didn't that used to be a penalty??

I noticed that. :think: Not sure about the official laws today, but I'm sure that was an offence when I was in school.

I watched a NZ vs Barbarians game from 1973 the other day. The pace at which the game was played was amazing. I know that today the players are pure athletes, but the speed of the wingers back then was mindblowing. Also, a scrum took about 10 seconds to set and contest, now it takes about 3 minutes. There is a lot to be said for the old game.

Log: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60609

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:36 pm 

It really was a game of individual guile back then. Imagine it, would David Campese last in the modern game? Or Phil Bennett?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:20 am 

CYMRU AM BYTH!!!!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 am 

Well done Wales. Best team in competition and deserved the win. Now hope England can ruin st paddy's day for irish fans.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 am 

Not a scrappy game so much as really defense oriented. Monster tackles from each side. The two #6's were both immense but Wales kicked better out of hand and used their chances when they had them.

I don't think we fired on all cylinders the whole tournament.... I want to see what Wales can do in Oz this summer. That tour will be huge. what's more, I really want us to win the next world cup.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » General Discussion » Sports Talk