Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post subject: Wing Chun Dummy
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:16 pm 

Hi All,

I am currently doing the Ron Balicki Jun Fan Gungu Fu Sereies (AKA JKD Series) and I am at the point where I will be taught trapping. Since I don't have a partner, my options have been limited.

I was thinking of getting this http://www.acemartialartssupply.com/win ... ttachmate/

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Wing Chun Dummy
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:10 am 

I suggest that you don't waste a whole lot of time on trapping, in the traditional sense. That's my suggestion.

Wrist control, clenching and what not, that's top shit.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:07 pm 

facesmasher wrote:
I suggest that you don't waste a whole lot of time on trapping, in the traditional sense. That's my suggestion.

Wrist control, clenching and what not, that's top shit.

Thanks facemasher for the input, I do agree with you but I need learn some aspects of it as it is part of the "course". I am aiming to be certified for the first level.

But I guess that means obtaining a full wooden dummy would not be required at all. I just need to learn the aspects of it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:06 am 

There's also a LOT you can improvise without getting a full dummy. A lot of the Filipino guys have some great stuff like that.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:38 pm 

Jesse wrote:
There's also a LOT you can improvise without getting a full dummy. A lot of the Filipino guys have some great stuff like that.

Jesse any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 am 

A cross made out of simple pvc and suspended from a rope will spin as you strike it and give you incoming arms to work on. Or you can do something more detailed, but yet very simple like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3y7dEUur4

What I'm consistently seeing with the Filipino guys is that they're making simple dummies out of a huge variety of materials. They're also experimenting with a ton of other training implements.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:31 am 

In my opinion, the wooden dummy is great for teaching you movement in and out of range using the blocks and parries of the wing chun system. It also teaches you to flow from one technique to the next, and develops muscle memory and better technique from repetitive exercise. However, trapping is something that requires you to work with a live partner, because you are going to need to feel his movement and how your traps effect his body. When you start working on your trapping skills, you also learn a sort of sensitivity to your opponent's energy. There's nothing mystical or magical about it. You are basically just feeling his movement as it begins, but that's not something you will learn from a wooden dummy that provides no movement or intentions.

I own a wooden dummy, but it is currently in pieces underneath my bed. I trained in wing chun for years, and used to work the wooden dummy almost religiously. My arms and hands toughened up, and my blocks improved, but it didn't help my trapping at all. Find somebody to work with if you really want to learn how to trap properly.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:11 am 

The attachmate that you linked isnt something I would recommend. The arms are fairly durable, but their connection to the flat "base" is suspect. We use them for kid's classes at my JKD school and the kids were constantly breaking that part.

Trapping with a partner is more realistic than anything because they will react vastly different than a dummy.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 pm 

jb21 wrote:
The attachmate that you linked isnt something I would recommend. The arms are fairly durable, but their connection to the flat "base" is suspect. We use them for kid's classes at my JKD school and the kids were constantly breaking that part.

Trapping with a partner is more realistic than anything because they will react vastly different than a dummy.

Thanks JB for the input, I understand that trapping with a partner is more realistic, but I don't have any partner at the moment. I am training alone from the DVDs. I am looking for a partner but still can't find one. In the meantime, I need to find an alternative.

http://www.martialartsequipmentdirect.c ... ning-t.htm

Do you recommend something like this? (See the second picture)

Thanks.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 am 

irfanmalick wrote:
jb21 wrote:

Thanks JB for the input, I understand that trapping with a partner is more realistic, but I don't have any partner at the moment. I am training alone from the DVDs. I am looking for a partner but still can't find one. In the meantime, I need to find an alternative.

http://www.martialartsequipmentdirect.c ... ning-t.htm

Do you recommend something like this? (See the second picture)

Thanks.

I dont know, something like that MAY be better made for trapping than the attachmate, but I have no experience with the one that you just posted. Its under $100, so it may be worth the investment.

I realize that you are learning from dvds at the moment, but dang....how do I say this...trapping is one of the portions that, for me, would have been EXTREMELY difficult to learn without hands on instruction. So much of that is based on sensitivity and without a partner pushing, pulling, moving and so on...it is almost impossible to learn it properly.

I do NOT want to discourage your training. I thought that the trapping that we did at my JKD school was very cool and could be useful. Everyone's situation is different and there may not be a decent JKD/Wing Chun/Gung-fu school within 200 miles for you and dvds may be the only option. I certainly understand that, but if that is the case, I think you should at least look into some weekend seminars and such that you could drive to or something in order to solidify your technique and ensure that you are getting the proper training.

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training