Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: What bjj belt are you?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 pm 

SpunK wrote:
Facesmasher - I just don't know how you can't get caught up in the hype if you know the whole history. I mean, not to start anything, but you said:

facesmasher wrote:
I just dont have the uber respect like some some do for bjj or the Gracie & Muchado tribes. In my oppinion they just exspounded upon submission grappling and threw a Gi in, now everyone thinks that they are gods.

It's not like they were taught freestyle submission wrestling or anything like that, they were taught Kodokan Judo, which was also a newly developed system at the time, and they expounded upon that. Mind you jiu jitsu is now a combination of wrestling, freestyle, judo, sambo, etc. initially thanks to Rolls Gracie. I would never equate the Gracies to God, but they're far from average. Look at Rickson - he earned his black belt in 1980, at the age of 18, and has never been tapped in competition. As a matter of fact, nobody has ever come forth claiming to have tapped him OUTSIDE of competition. To this day, there are testimonies of current jiu jitsu greats praising him. The most recent was Andre Galvao, who claimed Rickson had tapped him multiple times and he himself hadn't managed a single submission. Other BJJ athletes who spare no hyperboles towards Rickson's skill on the mat are Demian Maia, Nino Schembri, Paulo Filho, Royce Gracie, and Ricardo Arona, to name a few. I'm not the best person to ask, but I can't say enough about Royler, I know Jon Frost recently enjoyed a seminar with him. I could obviously go on, but I'll be talking your ear off with information you're already aware of...I just don't understand how you can talk about them in jest like that, even if you knew what an armbar was before 1993.

Thank you... Thank you... Thank you for the refresher course on bjj history... *GAAASP!* I HAVE SEEN THE LIIIIIIIGHT!!!! :clap: :dance: :mozilla_yell: .......... Not. :naughty: :snooty: :mozilla_cool:

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:39 pm 

Blue with the gi lol. BTW the gi helps it really does guys just split down the middle 3days gi 3days no gi.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:51 pm 

I don't think the gi is the end all be all and I for one can't stand grip fighting BUT with that being said unless you live somewhere where the people walk around naked from the waist up then to totally dismiss the gi is beyond naive to the point of being just plain stupid. People up north wear coats and jackets 8 months out of the year.

Even vale tudo has the limitations of no one trying to bash your teeth in. So you might as well wear the gi and atleast have another barrier between you and the staph and herp infected dirt bags you have to roll with

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:30 pm 

facesmasher wrote:
Thank you... Thank you... Thank you for the refresher course on bjj history... *GAAASP!* I HAVE SEEN THE LIIIIIIIGHT!!!! :clap: :dance: :mozilla_yell: .......... Not. :naughty: :snooty: :mozilla_cool:

I know, you're welcome...You clearly needed it. No need being bitter all your life just because "in your opinion" all the Gracie's did was throw on silly pajamas and trademark "Submission Wrestling" as "Gracie Jiu-jitsu"...and now their being hailed as great leaders and models of excellence. Yeah, I'd be upset too, glad I could clear things up for you :doh:...word for word, that's pretty much what you said.

facesmasher wrote:
On a separate note. I once stated that if I were to take steroids before ADCC I could hang. To which my instructor replied "Thats your problem. You need to get away from that idea of grappling." I'm just now beggining to realise what he meant. More finesse, i've got skill. I'm just so straight forward with it.

Is that you Intense?...I'm seriously starting to wonder... :shifty:

JRT6 wrote:
Professor Ricardo Pires and me, a two stripe blue, about to say goodby to Professor Ze.

Thanks for the pic - lookin' good! I got my first stripe put on tonight...I qualified 2 months ago, but didn't get around to doing the test until this evening. Is that Professor "Ze Cobra" you're speaking of?

JonFrost wrote:
What really amazes me about the Gracies is that so many members of that family become unbelievable, world class athletes in their art. And the fact that Rener and Ryron have youtube videos of how to pick the best fruit, when most people thier ages have videos of them getting drunk or doing stupid crap like that. Sorry, I'm taking this thread in the wrong direction...

I love those guys' videos - great enthusiasm. The thing about the Gracies - and BJJ in itself - is that they're always trying to pass on the tools necessary to become great leaders. Just to give a quick example: being a leader is all about your influence on others, being positive, integrity, rapport, your circle of friends, living life with energy and enthusiasm for excellence. I could spend all day talking about how these - and many other - qualities are taught and developed in the art...but again, we're going quite a bit off topic now :whistle:

JRT6 wrote:
I don't think the gi is the end all be all and I for one can't stand grip fighting BUT with that being said unless you live somewhere where the people walk around naked from the waist up then to totally dismiss the gi is beyond naive to the point of being just plain stupid. People up north wear coats and jackets 8 months out of the year.

I don't think the gi/nogi debate really came up, but I couldn't agree more. Even if you get in a scuffle on the beach, it's not like you're gonna get penalized for grabbing the guys shorts for control. Training with the gi is more applicable than all this goofy 10th Planet/ nogi is better for "real life scenario's" shit that's cropping up.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 am 

Wouldn't it stand to reason that no-gi is better for no-gi competition, and gi is better for gi competition? You also have to take into account the fact that there's more and better gi instructors than no-gi.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:57 am 

Dude. SpunK, I have no idea what your getting at. The meaning of what your asking is totally lost on me. "Is that you intense?" Wtf do you mean man? :think:

As for the history lesson. I sooo didnt need it. I understand. Believe me. But you pretty much summed it up for me in your own words. I respect the Gracies, I think in fact that what i'm saying may be coming off as a little more harsh than intended from your perspective. But I do think there are alot of Gracie nut huggers in the grappling world. Too, too, many.

I'm not going to knock you for what you believe though. More power to ya. :thumbs-up:
I know all about the history of Jiu Jut/Jitsu from feudal era Japan up to now. No one will ever sway my beliefs or convince me otherwise. Lets just leave it there.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:37 pm 

Got my blue belt under Javier Vazquezhttp://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Javier-Vazquez-511

Trained with Leo Vieira for a while.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:03 pm 

facesmasher wrote:
Dude. SpunK, I have no idea what your getting at. The meaning of what your asking is totally lost on me. "Is that you intense?" Wtf do you mean man? :think:

As for the history lesson. I sooo didnt need it. I understand. Believe me. But you pretty much summed it up for me in your own words. I respect the Gracies, I think in fact that what i'm saying may be coming off as a little more harsh than intended from your perspective. But I do think there are alot of Gracie nut huggers in the grappling world. Too, too, many.

I'm not going to knock you for what you believe though. More power to ya. :thumbs-up:
I know all about the history of Jiu Jut/Jitsu from feudal era Japan up to now. No one will ever sway my beliefs or convince me otherwise. Lets just leave it there.

What's your school/lineage?

Show be tell. - Ann Wolfe

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:52 pm 
I'm sorry. I'm calling Bullshit on this Facesmasher's accomplishments. His posts suggest that he is a 13 year old white belt.

You are from the Memphis area, right? I got a buddy that wrestled Superheavy for Germantown a few years back. What school did you got to? Who was your coach? Sorry, but gotta verify your record and the tournments you won after hearing all of your bullshit.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 pm 

LMMFAO. 13 year old white belt!? Super Heavy?!?! LMMFAO!!! Wait, wait!!! I've got to catch my breath!!! :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_laughing: Where are you from man? One post! LMMFAO. Did you make a user name just to bust my balls?!?!? :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_laughing: :mozilla_laughing:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training