Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: What bjj belt are you?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:03 am 

NeilD wrote:
Absolutely, but some guys just can't deal with being bashed in the chops on the ground.. it's not a pleasant feeling and can throw some guys Jiu Jitsu out the window..

If I remember correctly it was Cairnero who was on top pounding on Burns and he got caught in a triangle. I know MMA's different to BJJ and I'm not discounting anything anyones said, just offering my limited insight.

Fuck the Naysayers!

Mike's Log

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:51 am 

Oh for sure. It becomes a whole different world when you have to worry about an elbow or a punching smashing into your head. I couldnt elaborate on that aspect enough. L-o-L

Yea. I'm REALLY glad I did wrestle before I was introduced to bjj. But like I said i've been versed in submission since I was in like third grade because that was the first time I attended a free style wrestling camp. Thats why i'm so jaded towards jits.

Pleeease dont take what i'm trying to say as arrogance or anything because I know people like Dan my former instructor who weighs like 170lbs and just rips me apart. I mean, I can throw him around, and dominate the take down and even keep him on his back, but I continuously get subbed by him because he's so slick with angles and applications. Or one of his "apprentices" Alex, he straight from Brazil, he's like 150lbs but continuously gets my back and has me tapping. This dudes as big as my left nut but constanly has me on the defensive. I cant keep him pinned (on his back) for shit.

I'm glad I learned to wrestle first and that is definately my bread and butter but if I could take it back I would have DEFINATELY learned Judo. The reason I say this is because I rolled with a brown belt Judoka a couple of months back and got dumped on my head like six times in a row. This is just unfucking believable to me.

My ego was hurt, I ate so much humble pie that I threw it back up. Its like nothing worked against him, until we took the Gi off. I roll with browns every other day and have rolled with them from two pretty reputable schools and have never had a clinic run on me like that. He said he was from a more ne-waza oriented style but he STILL dumped me on my face and then submitted me as fast as I hit the ground while we were both wearing the gi.

I guess really what i'm really trying to say is that I would SOOO like to add the throw skills of Judo to my already implemented wrestling shot/take down. I'de stick with bjj for the submission skill though.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:17 am 

Oh absolutely, especially if he's from a more ne-waza style not the watered down olympic shit.. I love watching some of those guys :)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:10 am 

facesmasher wrote:
Oh for sure. It becomes a whole different world when you have to worry about an elbow or a punching smashing into your head. I couldnt elaborate on that aspect enough. L-o-L

Yea. I'm REALLY glad I did wrestle before I was introduced to bjj. But like I said i've been versed in submission since I was in like third grade because that was the first time I attended a free style wrestling camp. Thats why i'm so jaded towards jits.

Pleeease dont take what i'm trying to say as arrogance or anything because I know people like Dan my former instructor who weighs like 170lbs and just rips me apart. I mean, I can throw him around, and dominate the take down and even keep him on his back, but I continuously get subbed by him because he's so slick with angles and applications. Or one of his "apprentices" Alex, he straight from Brazil, he's like 150lbs but continuously gets my back and has me tapping. This dudes as big as my left nut but constanly has me on the defensive. I cant keep him pinned (on his back) for shit.

I'm glad I learned to wrestle first and that is definately my bread and butter but if I could take it back I would have DEFINATELY learned Judo. The reason I say this is because I rolled with a brown belt Judoka a couple of months back and got dumped on my head like six times in a row. This is just unfucking believable to me.

My ego was hurt, I ate so much humble pie that I threw it back up. Its like nothing worked against him, until we took the Gi off. I roll with browns every other day and have rolled with them from two pretty reputable schools and have never had a clinic run on me like that. He said he was from a more ne-waza oriented style but he STILL dumped me on my face and then submitted me as fast as I hit the ground while we were both wearing the gi.

I guess really what i'm really trying to say is that I would SOOO like to add the throw skills of Judo to my already implemented wrestling shot/take down. I'de stick with bjj for the submission skill though.

Judo is awesome like that. There submissions are not as tight as judo but they have to be lightning fast. If you can get a hold of the 101 ippons dvds they are awesome. I did judo when I was a kid and that is what got me into grappling. I really wish I had have stayed with it.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:03 am 

Facesmasher - I just don't know how you can't get caught up in the hype if you know the whole history. I mean, not to start anything, but you said:

facesmasher wrote:
I just dont have the uber respect like some some do for bjj or the Gracie & Muchado tribes. In my oppinion they just exspounded upon submission grappling and threw a Gi in, now everyone thinks that they are gods.

It's not like they were taught freestyle submission wrestling or anything like that, they were taught Kodokan Judo, which was also a newly developed system at the time, and they expounded upon that. Mind you jiu jitsu is now a combination of wrestling, freestyle, judo, sambo, etc. initially thanks to Rolls Gracie. I would never equate the Gracies to God, but they're far from average. Look at Rickson - he earned his black belt in 1980, at the age of 18, and has never been tapped in competition. As a matter of fact, nobody has ever come forth claiming to have tapped him OUTSIDE of competition. To this day, there are testimonies of current jiu jitsu greats praising him. The most recent was Andre Galvao, who claimed Rickson had tapped him multiple times and he himself hadn't managed a single submission. Other BJJ athletes who spare no hyperboles towards Rickson's skill on the mat are Demian Maia, Nino Schembri, Paulo Filho, Royce Gracie, and Ricardo Arona, to name a few. I'm not the best person to ask, but I can't say enough about Royler, I know Jon Frost recently enjoyed a seminar with him. I could obviously go on, but I'll be talking your ear off with information you're already aware of...I just don't understand how you can talk about them in jest like that, even if you knew what an armbar was before 1993.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am 

SpunK wrote:
Facesmasher - I just don't know how you can't get caught up in the hype if you know the whole history. I mean, not to start anything, but you said:

facesmasher wrote:
I just dont have the uber respect like some some do for bjj or the Gracie & Muchado tribes. In my oppinion they just exspounded upon submission grappling and threw a Gi in, now everyone thinks that they are gods.

It's not like they were taught freestyle submission wrestling or anything like that, they were taught Kodokan Judo, which was also a newly developed system at the time, and they expounded upon that. Mind you jiu jitsu is now a combination of wrestling, freestyle, judo, sambo, etc. initially thanks to Rolls Gracie. I would never equate the Gracies to God, but they're far from average. Look at Rickson - he earned his black belt in 1980, at the age of 18, and has never been tapped in competition. As a matter of fact, nobody has ever come forth claiming to have tapped him OUTSIDE of competition. To this day, there are testimonies of current jiu jitsu greats praising him. The most recent was Andre Galvao, who claimed Rickson had tapped him multiple times and he himself hadn't managed a single submission. Other BJJ athletes who spare no hyperboles towards Rickson's skill on the mat are Demian Maia, Nino Schembri, Paulo Filho, Royce Gracie, and Ricardo Arona, to name a few. I'm not the best person to ask, but I can't say enough about Royler, I know Jon Frost recently enjoyed a seminar with him. I could obviously go on, but I'll be talking your ear off with information you're already aware of...I just don't understand how you can talk about them in jest like that, even if you knew what an armbar was before 1993.

Pedro took a private from Rickson when he was here a couple of months ago. He said he was amazing and have tonnes to add to his game. I think the Gracie's are what they are. Bjj is not the be all and end all of grappling but it is amazing what kind of changes that have brought to MMA.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:12 am 

I've been doing Gracie Barra BJJ 3-4X/week for about a year and a half. I'm a one stripe blue belt. I think I'm getting close to getting my second stripe but upon self-assessment I really don't think I deserve it yet. When I roll with the purple belts I only occasionally get submitted now, but I still get dominated. Most of the time I'm completely on the defensive for 5 minutes.

Overall, I'm happy with my progress though...I'm one of the oldest in class at 40 y/o, one of the lightest at 175lbs, and unlike a lot of the "kids" in class I can't spend 10 hrs/week at the studio as I have a career, family etc.....and my body just can't take the daily pounding. Throw in 6 days/week of Ross training on top of that and my wife things I've lost it. Good times..........

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:44 pm 

I'm a white belt, but like facesmasher I'm a good wrestler, and I've been wrestling since I was about 5. I've been training for about 3 months and from what I can see I'm about as good as most guys that have trained a little over a year. Never tapped any higher belts though, and I get wrecked by my instructor (purple), and the blues there.

Just wondering facesmasher, when did you wrestle in Tennessee? Because while I'm at school I get to train with a two time state champ wrestler from Tennessee, Aaron Cook. I think he wrestled 205.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm 

Class of 2003 man. I dont think I heard of him. I'll check though. :think:

What state did you wrestle in? I wish I could have stayed in Missouri (waaay better coaching). It just didnt work out that way. Had to move here. To this shit hole. I hate Tennessee. Hate it.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:49 pm 

SpunK wrote:

facesmasher wrote:

What really amazes me about the Gracies is that [i]so many[u] members of that family become unbelievable, world class athletes in their art. And the fact that Rener and Ryron have youtube videos of how to pick the best fruit, when most people thier ages have videos of them getting drunk or doing stupid crap like that. Sorry, I'm taking this thread in the wrong direction...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Board index » RossTraining.com Forums » MMA Skills, Strategy, and Training